“Pleasantly surprised”
Review of Newport Aquarium

Newport Aquarium
Ranked #2 of 20 things to do in Newport
More attraction details
Owner description: Rated #1 U.S. Aquarium by Readers’ Choice Travel Awards and #1 Aquarium in the Midwest by Zagat Survey. Home to thousands of aquatic animals in scores of exhibits, the Newport Aquarium will amaze you with all there is to see and do. You can touch a penguin, pet a shark, hear divers talk to the audience during feeding time, play games in Frog Bog, eat lunch in Sharkey's Cafe and a much, much more!
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We had heard that this aquarium was fairly tiny. I didn’t think it was very tiny at all. Granted, I haven’t been to Shedd in 20 years so I really have nothing to compare it to. That being said. We were impressed! Love that there are so many tunnels to walk through. The variety of creatures was excellent. I’m a sucker (more than my kids) for a sting ray petting pool. This one was pretty awesome with a tunnel you could crawl through. I do wish there were a few more sting rays in the pool. The Japanese Spider Crab was awesome. Love the alligators and the penguin exhibit was cool.
We got through in exactly 2 hours. We missed the frogs because we had a hangry 3 year old with us.
I’d like to go back when they have the mermaids. I think the kids would enjoy it! Just a short 2 hour drive for us and completely worth it! Makes me think my kids might even be a little young to get through Shedd.
My pics are all of reptiles since I have a slight affinity for them. My husband took all of the fish photos.

1  Thank Megan C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,839)
All reviews
in 80 reviews
"whole family"
in 31 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018

We took our granddaughter to the aquarium during spring break. We purchased our
tickets online then you pick up at Will Call which is so much quicker than the other lines.
We had a short wait then proceeded in. An unbelievable variety of fish, frogs, turtles,
alligators and snakes. We hoped to see manatee, but no such luck.
The public is allowed to touch stingrays and small sharks in a pool. The shark bridge
was worth waiting for and a lot of fun. We were disappointed in the Octopus "Ring of Fire' exhibit, because the octopus was very small. The day was very nice and we
walked around the mall there and had lunch at Mad Mikes.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

First time visit and was impressed with the whole experience. Entrance is on a timed basis so not all too busy. Lots of walking but can also borrow a wheelchair if required. Very enjoyable.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We visit the Newport Aquarium several times a year. (Helpful hint: If you live close by, invest in an annual pass. It is well worth the money). The best part for us is always walking in the tunnel with the sharks and other fish swimming above, below and on the sides of you. We never get tired of that experience!! We also always sit for a few minutes watching the penguins. You can touch a shark or a stingray and the employees assigned to these areas are very knowledgeable. If you're feeling brave, be sure to walk on the Shark Bridge!! A good time to visit is in the mid-afternoon. We usually go about 3:00 and it isn't crowded and you can take your time looking at the exhibits.

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 April 2018

I have been to the aquarium once and that was plenty for me. My nephew's family, however, frequently get a year's family pass. They will make a week-end trip to Cincinnati planned around their visit to the aquarium. The exhibits do change and I believe there are children's activities from time to time. One should check on that before making the trip if you have to drive any distance. The area around the aquarium offers many choices for dining from 5 Guys to Tom and Chee to a kiosk that sells awesome hot dogs dressed any way you like. While once was enough for me, I would still encourage others to check it out.