“Worth the trip!”

Waverly Hills Sanatorium
Ranked #22 of 172 things to do in Louisville
More attraction details
Owner description: The Waverly Hills Sanatorium is on the U.S. National Register of Historical Places. The massive five story hospital was built in 1926 and sits atop Waverly Hill today. It housed 400 patients and was one of the largest facilities of its kind. Waverly served the community through decades of the worse TB outbreak in the country. After closing in 1961, due to the introduction of life saving antibiotics, the hospital reopened in 1962 as "Woodhaven Geriatric Center" which operated the facility until 1982 when it was closed by the state. Ravaged by years of neglect, the present owners have breathed new life into the building by conducting tours though the facility in effort to restore it to a useful asset for the community once again. Waverly has earned her place as one of the most haunted places in the country and has been host to many films and TV shows. During tour season (March – August) Waverly offers several options of visiting. *2hr. Introductory Paranormal Tour which includes a 20 film then a walk through the building.*2hr. Historical walk through tour held one Sunday each month*Public or Private overnight sessions for ghost hunting enthusiasts. For all tour or overnight reservations or inquiries contact the office open daily 9am to 5pm Monday - Friday.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Dayton, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Worth the trip!”
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Whether you see anything or not (which we did) this place is worth visiting for the historical value alone. Everyone there is awesome. We went with my 75 yr old mother who had trouble with the steps and the workers there held her and helped her get up and down them. There were very cautious of her which we appreciated. The sanitarium is an awesome building. And prepare to be creeped out depending on how skiddish you are. There definitely are shadow people in there.

Visited August 2011
6 Thank bckyhrd

Chicago
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Really Great Tour & Great History Lesson”
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I would have given the 2 hour night tour (8pm - 10pm) 5 stars if it wasn't for the shows you had to sit through in the beginning...I would have to agree with the other reviews about this being way too long! We are there to do your tour so most likely we have heard all about the place through Ghost Hunters, etc. If they are going to do any type of show beforehand than just do the short one on the history of the place. With that being said, other than that, the tour was great! I definitely recommend doing the 8pm time as it's still light enough when you first start the tour to actually see through the hallways without using a flashlight and get some great shots of the exterior before you go in. Also, I was one of the ones who walked down the hallway and yes, I definitely saw shadows moving while I was just standing still and felt a heaviness. Do try this! Other that that, my family didn't see anything else but the feeling was still eerie and the architecture, history and stories of the place were fascinating. Many people died there and it is really sad when you hear the stories. Some of the pictures when we got home showed lots of orbs but don't really know if those are supernatural or not. Loved our guide! She was great and personable and didn't rush us. Definitely also be sure you can do the walk through the body chute tunnel at the end of the tour...Going down was fine but coming back up; it does take alot out of you! I had hip replacement surgery a year ago and though I felt 100% since the surgery; coming up that tunnel; it took me forever and a day! I honestly was having a tough time with it and I'm 38 years old and in ok shape. The teenagers of course passed me by but even my husband who is in good shape stayed with me and said it was tough on him too! Definitely will be back to do the 1/2 night or overnight tour at some point.

Visited August 2011
11 Thank Kimberly M
Tennyson, IN
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Still not a believer, but very interesting and an amazing building with lots of history”
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I am not a believer in the paranormal. I don't judge anyone who is, but I just haven't seen or heard anything that made me believe.

I agree with the other reviews the movie they have you watch before the tour starts is too long. I do think it had some interesting information and served a purpose in giving background information, but it should be cut in half.

I was expecting something a little more along the lines of a haunted house so there was a bit of a let down for me when I realized that was no the case. I felt they spent a fair amount of time trying to convince people they were seeing people.

That said it was an amazing enormous building and the history was very interesting. My husband who was against going to begin with truly enjoyed himself. I would like to return this fall for their Haunted House which they said Disney would be assisting them with.

It wasn't what I expected and I wouldn't ever return for a standard tour, but I enjoyed myself and am glad we went.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank jaycer02
Highland, Illinois
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Go during the day first, then do the paranormal tour”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We did the 10pm 2 hour paranormal tour. Unfortunately we had to sit through a dvd of all the tv shows that have investigated the place. It was too long and repetitive. Our tour guide kept telling us that we were a very large group and had to rush through the place because another tour was to start at midnight. It was already 11pm! They should have cut the film short or not taken so many reservations. We were herded around like cattle and packed into tiny rooms. It was about 100 degrees, seriously, and people were having a hard time. We had been told to bring flashlights and cameras but were only able to use them in certain spots. Most of the time we couldn't see what she was telling us about because there is no lighting in the place. It was very disappointing. I recommend going on a cool day and doing the historical daylight tour so you can actually check the place out. Then do the night time paranormal tour to scare yourself! Hopefully it will be a small group for the your tour!

Visited July 2011
1 Thank Thewandering5
Denver, Colorado
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Great experience with one exception...”
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We were aware of the DVD pre-tour so we were expecting that. I thought it was way too long and most of the information was reiterated by the guide so I felt it was really not necessary to recap the ghost hunter shows.

The tour guide was great, she took charge and did not seem to rush through. One issue we had was with a guy who just wanted to joke around (fake coughing when our guide described TB, etc.). Tried to distance ourselves from this idiot but unfortunately he was always at the front of the group and we wanted to hear the tour guide. He took a lit cigarette inside the building and when I asked him to put it out, he said he forgot he was holding it and promptly put it out on the stairway. Jerk...didn't seem to respect the property or anyone else.

We did see the shadow people, my husband was one of the ones who went down the darkened hallway. We did not hear anything such as footsteps or noises, wish we would've but there was too much chatting and of course the joker making comments throughout. There was also an issue with him kicking a ball that was found at the end of the tour (people bring rubber balls hoping to see it roll down the hall unassisted), which hit my daughter in the leg causing her to freak out as she didn't see where it came from because of the darkened hallway. He swore he didn't do it but the guide told us afterward that he did.

Because of the above, I wish the tour group would've been smaller so we could've experienced it more intimately. The staff can't control people like this so it's not their fault, it just happened to be the group we were with. We did enjoy it overall, however, and felt it was worth the price of admission!

Make sure to wear good shoes because you'll walk up stairs to all 5 floors and it is dusty and there is some debris.

Visited July 2011