“Bravo to this Blue Grass Embassy Suites Hotel”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Lexington
Ranked #3 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 January 2012

This was my second visit to this hotel. I enjoyed it this time just as much as I did the first. The hotel is well maintained inside and out. The front desk staff are friendly and prompt. The hotel room was roomy, clean, and comfortable. It had 2 flat panel TVs, mini fridge, microwave, and alarm clock with IPOD or aux connection. The hotel offers a GREAT free breakfast which includes an omelette station and a good selection of hot food, fruit, cereal, pastries, and juices. In the evenings, there is also free cocktails in the lobby. The gym is well equipped and the indoor swimming pool and adjacent outdoor patio are nice. Overall I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and would definitely return with no hesitation.

• Stayed: January 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,187)

Reviewed 8 January 2012

I stay at this hotel every year or so, and this year was my worst stay. Food going downhill, cleaning/maid service going downhill, room service horrid, food from room service was disappointing. Some rooms noisy if they front onto the atrium and if the hotel is having a wedding or other party. The rooms off the central atrium are quiet.

Room Tip: For a quiet room, do NOT get one that opens onto the atrium!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank M H
Reviewed 2 January 2012

This was our first time at this location, but we stay at ES almost exclusively. The hotel is located very close to the Newtown Pike exit, and is therefore close to the Kentucky Horse Park, and many other equine related venues. The hotel is actually on the grounds of the UK Coldstream Research Farm. While the weather was a bit chilly for us, there were some wonderful walking paths around the area.

The beautiful, convenient setting does mean you are somewhat remote from other activities in Lexington. The closest shopping (about 3 miles) is an area generally known as "North Park" where you'll find Walmart and some others, but the neighborhood should be avoided for night activity. More upscale areas are further away. It's about 7 miles into downtown for Rupp Arena/Lexington Center/Victorian Square.

We were there for New Years weekend, and the hotel was sparsely used. It was mostly families that seemed to be gathering for the holiday parties. The hotel had the nicest atrium area of any I have seen. It was larger than most, and we found the white noise provided by the large fountain to be helpful in blocking some of the din of such a large area. Our room was right off the elevators (201), but we were only occasionally disturbed by the revelers. I'm sure it was worse than normal with the New Years partying.

We had breakfast each day, and enjoyed the managers reception each night. After many ES stays, both of these were heads and above the best we've seen. Breakfast was well organized, with excellent fresh choices. The lady running the grill was very efficient and helpful... if perhaps a little gruff. The seating area is the restaurant, which has a large dark wood dividers and mini-columns. Nice, but we found it a bit much, tho we couldn't say why. Perhaps it was a little confusing to find your way to the buffet? I just prefer a little more open environment in seating. As for the reception, the addition of a few veggies and dip really makes the difference between "junk" and very nice. We loved the beer cheese on our first night, but it was gone the next. I think ES should cut their chefs loose to do some personal creation with this reception, as it could prove a good teaser for eating in house. A different salsa variation each night would be a good start.

We tried the "bourbon flights" special in the regular bar, and had a lot of fun. They give you 3 half-ounce samples of a choice of 27 bourbons for $9. The bartender (Art) was knowledgeable and helpful, and that added to the fun. We did two before retiring (well before midnight on NYE!)

We used the pool a lot. It was smallish, but adequate. There were a lot of kids, but I suspect that is not usually the case. The lack of a hot tub was noticed by all. We felt the pool should have been warmer as a result. There was a huge amount of towels available, and regular service was noticed. It's a little strange getting there (way back in the corner of the 2nd floor, but then down steps to the first). It was a clever design to keep the wet swimsuits (and brief attire) out of the nicer dining and meeting areas, but took some getting used to.

Here are a few disappointments: Our room had several maintenance issues right out of the gate, all of which were dealt with immediately and efficiently. The larger rooms at ES frequently have us finding surprises in all the nooks and crannies. None of those here, but we did find that the bathroom wasn't as spotless as we are used to. The grout in the tub area was showing its age with discoloration. This soon ends up with complaints of mold, so it's time to get something done.
From my wife: Bathrooms should always have exhaust fans. Our group (2 adults, two grandkids) taking shower back to back had it pretty sticky in there.
Gift shop: One of my favorite features in my previous stays has been a sizable selection of sundry items, including pretty much any OTC medication one might need. I have also noted in previous reviews my pleasure in finding reasonable prices on these items. The gift shop at this location was very sparse, attended by the front desk (and it seemed a bit of an inconvenience to them), and failed to meet our needs (childrens Tylenol). It is pretty easy to find a single person to operate this sort of shop under stringent guidelines. Hopefully they can improve this soon.

Room Tip: 201 has a double negative of being right off the elevators, and immediately above the reception area...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank zjxtinpusher
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Clean, large suites, beautiful atrium area, friendly staff, great breakfast..... it's exactly what you expect from Embassy. This is my new favorite hotel in LEX

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank randynovak
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I checked in at 8 pm on October 30. I wanted internet but the on-screen system did not allow me to charge the fee to my room. So I paid with my credit card for a "1-day access" to their wireless Internet -$9.95. I assumed "1 day" = 24 hours, meaning I had paid till October 31 at 8 pm. The next day (October 31) at 5 pm I tried to check my email but the wireless access had expired. I again paid $9.95 with my credit card and the screen indicated that the access would expire October 31 at 8:36 pm- that is $9.95 for less than 4 hours!
I complained at the front desk (the telephone in my room was not functional). The clerk apologized but said that he could not do anything about the charges since I had used my credit card. He offered a free drink and gave an access code.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business