“What a disappointment”

Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill - The Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Harrodsburg
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

I visited Pleaaant Hill Shaker Village several years ago and loved my experience. So I was excited to be going back. Little did I know that the management had changed and the Village has become a shell of what it used to be. Yes, the buildings are still there, but they are now closed to the public, for sleeping guests use only. Where docents used to interpret the Shaker story, no artisans ply their crafts. A "guide" that gave a lecture about the Shakers could not answer many questions. Her standard reply was that she did not know but she would be glad to give us a name of somebody in the archives that might be able to help us. What a disappointment!
We went during the week and supposedly the weekends are better. I do not know and am so discouraged I will not be back.
Mother Ann would not be pleased to see how the Dhaler heritage has been plundered.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill - The Inn

Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed in the East Family building built in 1817. Shaker reproduction furniture and modern amenities. Outside our window was the farm on one side and a view of other buildings on another side. At night there was little light pollution -- only a few outdoor lamps and muted lights from other visitor windows. A unique experience and a very reasonable price. Reservations a must on event weekends. Not sure about other times.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

There is an interesting history. The grounds were nice but I had hoped for more interaction. Nicole did the taste of the farm presentation in the garden and it was excellent. We were able to try some interesting vegetables that we weren't familiar with. I don't remember her name but the lady walked us through the centre family home was very knowledgeable and answered all our questions. We finished the day with the river boat ride. Overall it was good and we are glad we went. I would recommend it.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

Three of us had lunch at Shaker Village, and it felt like we had stepped back in time! We all ordered Cobb salads, and were pleasantly surprised by the non-traditional presentation. All of the ingredients were tossed together rather than in rows. The lettuce was incredibly tender, and obviously straight from the garden. I wish I'd had room for dessert, but the salad filled me up!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2017

I love history, and for history lovers this is a well worth four hours of your time. The Shakers came to Kentucky in the early 1800's, and while their religious views are a stretch for me, the history they lived is an insight into early Kentucky and early America west of the crest of the Appalachian mountains. They were inventive, and they mastered an agricultural way of life in their area of the Ohio River valley. To see what they accomplished with what we would now consider primitive tools, is remarkable. 34 buildings still stand compliments of their building integrity. The ride in a horse drawn wagon, and the music in the fellowship hall are must do and see. I was left with the impression that this was not a cult but an alternative way of life. The Shakers were accepting of all regardless of gender, race, or religious way of life, and something we aspire to in our current culture. Technologically and culturally, they were way ahead of their time. This is an insight into to how any diverse group of people can live together as one.

Room Tip: This is a sight seeing venue as well as a hotel.
Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrodsburg
10.4 km away
Best Western Lawrenceburg Inn
#1 of 1 in Lawrenceburg
17.7 km away
Holiday Inn Express Nicholasville

Been to Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill - The Inn? Share your experiences!