All reviews room was clean room service buffalo trace distillery free underground parking capt paul downtown frankfort beautiful hotel older hotel rates were reasonable lobby area kentucky river yard sale decent hotel convenient location biscuits and gravy would definitely stay here again indoor pool
Reviewed 2 October 2016

I've been here multiple times over the past years.
Front desk: Most of the front desk people are nice/friendly; but a couple are not. The past few times I've gone; one of your front desk people always looks flustered or hurried. It's busy on a Sunday with lot's of people checking out; I got it. But if you're working Sundays, then its not like it should be a huge surprise. The person was rude, too. Not only to me; but a few other people as well. How this person still works there is confounding to me (as I've had to deal with said person the past few times I've been there. I've been going here for over a decade every March (just about) and sometimes during the fall (a few times) and it hasn't been that bad. Just letting you know a front desk worker can ruin an experience even though the interaction can be for a few minutes. Some places are decent; but if the front desk is bad; why should you go back?
Rooms: Decent. The setup is nice and bathrooms are decent. However......the cleaning people. The last couple of times has been disgusting. It's a 50/50 shot if the bathroom is completely clean when you get to your room. I found hair on the shower curtain a couple of times I'd been there. There was a stain on the mattress that looked like blood, so luckily I was able to get a different room (this was a different time). Other times; the room and bathroom has been great. Again; just one bad experience can ruin that a person comes back.
Other: The restaurant is good. Just not worth a high price. I remember the pool was down for a long time, too. I don't know why it took so long to take care of it. The people that own the hotel (and others) can afford to sponsor quite a few events in the area; but they need to throw some of that money into the staff and upkeep of this particular hotel. It's one of the faces of the plaza.
Overall: Some of the times I was there deserve a one, some a five, and some a "meh". I guess it really all depends what time of year you go, what event is going on in Frankfort, and what staff is on hand. Since it's the only hotel with that ease of access to to plaza and convention center; then you have to stay here. If there was another hotel close by where I wouldn't have to drive 10 minutes to get there; then I'd stay there instead.
I rate it a 3. Coin toss if your room is clean.

Date of stay: March 2016
Carol J, General Manager at Capital Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2016

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. I appreciate your honesty about your experiences and I will share this with the staff to help us improve our service. I hope your next stay you will find that you can give us all "5's" for the service and cleanliness. Look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed 21 September 2016

We were so upset with this hotel as we had seen it on Hotel Impossible. our room was clean but really dated. our bedding was very uncomfortable. When we were in the hallways by the meeting room there was a ramp outside the door with a rug thrown over the rail and a wood plank. lamp sitting on the floor just outside the meeting room. Breakfast was not very good, flavor and choices. The orange juice was excellent.

We ordered from the bar cheese cake and nachos which was excellent

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Carol J, General Manager at Capital Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2016

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. We do know that our room furniture is dated and that is why we are making changes as we speak. The reason you saw the ramp by the meeting rooms is because that is how we are bringing new furniture in the building. It is temporary and will go away upon conclusion of the project. No meetings were scheduled in this area. The lamp was sitting on the floor again because we were doing work in the area. That is certainly not our presentation style. You will be happy to know that we are upgrading our elevators, our rooms, corridors and entry ways. I am glad you enjoyed your meal as I do believe we have some of the best food in this area. If your travels bring you through this area, please visit us again and see the changes we have made. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. We should have new photos on our website very soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2016

Front desk staff was great. Very helpful and patient. Bed was comfortable. Towels were poor quality and very small. Food at breakfast ordinary. Had a conference rate so was not too bad, but had I paid more this would have been VERY dissatisfying. Location is good.

Room tip: River view rooms are noisier. Your choice.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charlotte F
Carol J, General Manager at Capital Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2016

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. I am sorry you were not happy with your towels. We buy do purchase domestic linen and it is usually of the highest quality. I will review your comments with our housekeeping manager and inspect our recent linen purchases. Breakfast is complimentary and we do try to serve a variety on hot breakfast buffet and still keep a regional flair to the menu. I will pass your comments on to the chef and I am sure he will review his menu choices. We do appreciate your comments and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 September 2016

We were here for a wedding in the Buffalo Trace Distillery and this was very convenient. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. I love the old-fashioned feel of the hotel. The lobby was spacious with lots of chairs and a big, dramatic fountain. The room was great - very large, comfortable bed with modern-style bedding (light comforter with crisp sheets) and excellent pillows. The breakfast was good, but somewhat limited. There were biscuits and gravy, eggs, sausage, juice, coffee, toast... no grits. Parking. Wi-fi. We had a lovely stay.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Carol J, General Manager at Capital Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2016

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and the hotel. I am sorry we didn't have grits on the buffet for you, but please know that we do serve it. We alternate between oatmeal and grits and it must have been oatmeal day. We do hope to see you anytime your travels bring you through Frankfort.

Reviewed 30 August 2016 via mobile

Yes, I could review this hotel with some of the negatives which others have sited but having just stayed there this weekend for my daughters wedding, they came through over and over in accommodating our changing needs and were amazing. Every change I needed made met with 'let's see what we can do' and they did.

I do understand that it was great that they had the flexibility to help out but I felt they went beyond what could reasonably been expected.

As well, as the wedding was at Buffalo Trace, we didn't want anyone drinking and driving and their shuttle service was excellent.

Thank you everyone at Capital Plaza!!!

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
Carol J, General Manager at Capital Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2016

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. I'm very happy to hear that you were pleased with our service. I will share your wonderful comments with the staff. Hope you visit us again any time your travels bring you to Frankfort.