Quality Inn(Hazard)
Quality Inn(Harlan)
USD 110
USD 104
USD 87
All reviewsswimming poolnearest townroom was cleannice lodgefamily reunionfishing poleswafflesbit datedlodge roomsgreat roombalconyhazardlodginginternetcerealpet
Reviewed 2 October 2017

This is a very nice lodge that is out in the middle of no where. It is peaceful and a good place to relax. The rooms have been remodeled since we were here ten years ago. Very attractive. They have two very comfortable chairs, the bed was good and the room was easy to regulate for comfort. They have a free breakfast, that was very good. They had pastries, fruit, toast, bagel, cereal, waffles, plus milk, juice and coffee. The staff were very friendly.

Room Tip: We were in a room on the second floor at the right of the lobby. Very quite. Great view.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Greta G, Manager at Buckhorn Lake State Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Hello Ben,
I am so honored that you choose Buckhorn Lake State Resort Park while you were in Buckhorn. And we’re really grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this wonderful feedback. We have done some remodeling like you mentioned, we have more planned. I really appreciate it and know the team will as well when I share it with them. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town.
Greta

Reviewed 28 July 2017

We booked a night here because although about 40 minutes from where we needed to be, it was the nearest available and other places were booked. The title said it is a resort and the review rating was good, so I thought it would be relaxing and enjoyable. This is the ONLY time TripAdvisor has steered me wrong, and it makes me wonder who is reviewing this place. The only thing going for it is the view of the lake. In spite of knowing there were several open rooms when we were headed there and just hours away, when we arrived late to check in, we were put in a terrace-level room that did not give us the view we were promised. It would have been fine even just being on the main level. We checked in which took 10 minutes, and they removed tape they were using to tie off the area for painting in order to find a room for us which disgusted me since we had a reservation previous to other people who got the room we should have had. We walked down bare filthy concrete steps from a cramped single-row parking area near where the stairs were and there were a lot of dead and live bugs, spiders, and a gigantic four-inch black spider I had to dodge with our dogs and baggage. The room smelled dank and the A/C barely cooled and there was a constant moist stale smell. Everything was extremely outdated. The sink was out in the room area and had no counter space for anything used to get dressed like makeup, curlers, etc. It was old and gross, and there is some kind of electrical issue because it took a few seconds for the hair dryer I used that I brought to kick all of the way on. The bathroom was a tiny low toilet, the cheapest thin toilet paper I've ever seen (it felt thinner than Scott's toilet paper), and a tub shower. The tub was smaller than average, and the shower curtain was this ancient heavy rubbery plastic that took up 30% of the tiny tub space, so we had to take our showers fighting off and being stuck to the same shower curtain that stuck to other people while they showered. Gross!! The carpet had a strange odor, and the room was dark. There was a small TV that looked more like a computer monitor with barely audible sound (no external speakers) and poor color and definition that was almost pastel, fuzzy, and only a few channels.
When we checked in, we weren't even told where the ice machine was. Apparently there is just one: up at the main building. The tap water tasted funny and there was no fridge or microwave. There was a back door and screen door that looked ancient going to a patio covered in lawn debris and bugs with a couple of old metal outdoor chairs overlooking the pool and a tiny smidge of the lake visible through a thick line of trees and brush that should have been kept clear. They have a place there that apparently serves meals. Breakfast consisted of white bagels (no cream cheese - nothing but cheap jelly packets), tiny fake blueberry frozen waffles, cereal served with very small styrofoam bowls, and coffee that you have to use very small styrofoam coffee cups to drink out of. It was the cheapest crappy "continental" breakfast I've ever seen. (Don't assume other reviews are always accurate. There was no biscuits and gravy, fruit, or toast.) They serve lunch and dinner which we avoided by going to a restaurant in Hazard, and they proudly tell you they got an award in 2014 for their restaurant, but I saw the food. Best of the sticks, yes, but not comparable to any good restaurant.
They really should stop calling this a resort and call it a budget lake lodge. Staff was nice and polite even calling us before our arrival to remind us the restaurant closes at 8pm and helping us figure out places in town to get food - ended up being Little Ceasars, except for the woman who in front of my spouse told the guy to not give us the same rate we got for the first night because it was too inexpensive. Wow. This place is outdated, run-down, and needs an update 20 years ago. It has the look inside of the room that gives you the impulse to check for bed bugs. Ugh. Unless you're going there for the lake access and only want a place to sleep in and don't care about true resort feel and don't mind a dingy room with crappy TV and A/C you'll be very happy, but if you expect a real resort, you'll have driven a long way on dangerous roads full of dangerous and hairpin curves (beautiful in daylight but terrifying at night when we drove there) to want to just leave. Oh, I almost forgot that instead of having actual Wi-fi to serve guests, they give you these tiny little pieces of paper with passwords on them (only four) that only allow a few hours of weak internet access. The internet was so poor that we couldn't even get the request through to send a route to the OnStar for our vehicle. This is why I put "no" for free wi-fi because it's not true free wi-fi.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. You'd be better off in a rented RV.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank corysgirlNWFlorida
Reviewed 11 July 2017

We go almost every forth and get a room, they offer free breakfast used to be biscuits and gravy muffins bagels toast and fruits. This year it wasn't very good no biscuits and gravy. Out of milk and juice had to go to store to buy milk!had to get own towels.

Room Tip: Bottom floor by the pool
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

I give this a 5 out of 5 overall because it was exactly what we were looking for....peaceful with lovely scenery. Hospitality was A plus in the lodge and dining room. Lodge room was comfortable, spacious and had a private balcony with a beautiful view. Keep in mind we wanted a place to unwind, read, walk and swim and this fit the bill perfectly. Pet friendly which was nice for us as our two dogs travel with us.

As other travels have stated the lodge rooms are a smidge out of date but honestly the only thing I would say I would really expect to be remedied is the carpet could use to be cleaned. All else was clean, beds were comfortable.

Amenities: marina where you can rent a slip or a boat with a shop you can buy snacks and icecreams, beach for swimming, mini golf, picnic areas with grills, two short hiking trails and plenty of space on grounds for walking, pet friendly, swimming pool, lodge great room, basketball, shuffleboard, for loan at front desk are fishing poles, board games and cards, book shelf, some organized activities.

Nearest town with restaurants, pharmacy, department store, and grocery is about 45 minutes away. Eat at Circle T's if you go to Hazard.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

The park is a beautiful setting, the staff are very nice. They resort appears to be suffering from low attendance, maybe? The restaurant does not have much in terms of fresh vegetables and does not have everything on the menu, the tennis courts are in disrepair, the horseshoe pits are nonexistent, and the whole lodge feels a bit dated and underutilized. That said, the pools are well-maintained and wonderful. The rooms have nice balconies. The place is clean. Overall, if I were to come back, I would bring a picnic, a boat (it is $200 to rent one) and enjoy the lake. I would not mind staying a night and enjoying the pool, but I would bring my own food.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Greta G, Manager at Buckhorn Lake State Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2017

Thank you, for choosing Buckhorn lake state resort park while you were in Buckhorn. I appreciate your comments. The lake is wonderful, due to try to come back and enjoy water activities, such as fishing, boat, and swimming.