“Family Reunion weekend”

Drury Plaza Hotel Broadview Wichita
Ranked #2 of 88 Hotels in Wichita
Reviewed 13 November 2017

Our family scheduled our Family Reunion at this hotel for the weekend. We rented a conference room and enjoyed many of their rooms and amenities. The hotel has a grand feel to it and is in a historic building. The rooms, lobby, and meeting/conference rooms were clean and well-maintained.
There is a "complimentary" hot breakfast and "happy hour" offered in the mezzanine area. This area gets very, very noisy, although it is larger than most "hospitality" areas provided by most hotels, this area could use some sound dampening since the ceiling is so close. There are usually at least 3 people that are providing service in this area during breakfast and their "Kick-back" times. These people are exceptionally friendly and helpful. There was one exceptionally personable black woman (can't remember her name) and older middle-aged black man (can't remember his name either but want to identify them) who went above and beyond to make people feel welcome and happy. The gentleman always sings and tries to get people to sing. This was wonderful except that the loudness really hurt my ears and was painful enough to ruin my enjoyment of the corporate sing. I don't want him to stop this, but I would like some sound dampening provided in the area so it would not be so painful.
The food is typical fare for a cafeteria experience (meaning not like what you would expect at a moderate or upper end restaurant) but for a "hospitality" service was exceptional in that they had several choices for hot food as well as always offered fresh items. The breakfasts always offered several juices and milk as well as biscuits, gravy, eggs, pancakes, and all the toppings such as salsa, ham, and shredded cheese, and bottled sauces. There also were small tortillas provided. There was an offering where eggs could be made to order. Pastries such as donuts were offered and available. There also was oatmeal provided with toppings such as raisins, nuts, and brown sugar. There as an area of different breads such as bagels could be toasted and a variety of toppings. A variety of chilled yogurts were also provided.
The "Kick-back" is something that is actually nice to take advantage of--and many people did--which did create a very loud environment. Hot food is provided. It is of course not restaurant quality but very, very good and good enough to be a meal. Hot dogs with all the toppings (chili, relish, cheese, condiments) are always provided. Fresh salad greens and offerings of toppings of shredded carrots and cherry tomatoes with croutons, crackers, and fresh-made Ranch dressing and a vinaigrette is also always offered. There also are nacho chips and cheese sauce that is also always provided. A couple of steam table containers of baked potatoes are usually offered as well as either a pasta or taco meat and things to help make tacos. "Kick-back" also has a bartender available to provide 3 free alcoholic drinks which include simple cocktails of tequila sunrise and bloody mary's and margaritas (all mixes tho) as well as wine and a couple offerings of beer or ale. The spirits they use are not the top shelf but also not rot-gut/low quality--for example they have Jack Daniels as their bourbon choice. Their wheat ale is excellent.
Popcorn and soda pop is available most of the time.
One thing that I would like to see changed tho, is that the plastic ware is provided in large baskets where people reach in and grab their own plastic (silverware). This actually kind of grosses me out--when I see children (and adults) reaching in and rubbing their hands all over the plastic ware that we all will be placing in our mouths....Of course any help-yourself service creates an environment of possible contamination, but maybe instead of a large basket where all the people have to reach in and touch everything before they get a hold of their choice of plastic ware, have the plastic ware in something smaller that keeps the "silverware" in place--maybe even standing it up with the handles up so that people just grab the handle-end of the plastic ware rather than running their hands (which may or may not have been washed or just recently had been rubbed across their runny noses) rubbing all over the entire basket of ware.....

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

I loved everything about this hotel. The hot tubs are the best of any hotel I've been in-- clean, hot, large, and fully functioning. The pool is great too. The lobby is beautiful and open. The staff were super friendly and great to interact with. The restaurant on site was great; the waitress was super nice and the person bringing the food seemed to flirt a bit which is great for a travelers ego. The rooms are nice and in wonderful shape. Didn't see a single thing I didn't like and will be back here in a few months.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

Maybe it’s just Kansas, (I received great service while I was in KC, too) but the service at The Drury was outstanding, especially the dining staff. Michelle was so nice, my wife wanted to give her a hug. Costello at the bar was quick with a smile.

I wish I could name others, every one we passed was very pleasant.

The rooms and the hotel were nice and clean. The hotel has a classic look. We were there for a convention and the space worked out well.

The hotel is next to the river, which had a great walking path.

If you’re going to stay in Wichita, the Drury is recommended.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2017

Very cool old building. Staff was great! Has it's own parking garage right across the street. In walking distance to a ton of great restaurants and bars. Right next to the river walking trails. Great place that we would definitely stay at again.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2017

I have mixed emotions about our stay at this hotel. While not god awful it was far from excellent...mediocre would best sum it up.

The Room:
It was nice enough but nothing to blow our mind. We rented a loft suite and while it was spacious and had some nice features it wasn't anything to make either of us feel the need to stay in one again. The one nice thing about the loft suite is it does feature a full size bathroom downstairs as well as upstairs adjacent to the loft bedroom area. Both bathrooms have a shower, bathtub, toilet, sink, and mirror. I will admit it was super nice for both of us to be able to get ready at the same time. The upstairs bathtub is HUGE! (See pic) This was a little bit of a sore spot with me however as I was led to believe it would be a jacuzzi tub which it most definitely was NOT!

As far as the rest of the room it was what one would expect from a hotel suite. Mini fridge, coffee maker, flat screen TV, blah blah blah. The TV was painfully slow switching from one channel to the next, not sure what that was all about. The room was clean upon our arrival and cooled off fairly quickly once we cranked the A/C to full blast.

The pool and hot tub:
Pool area was nice and spacious as well as extremely clean and tidy. There was an abundant amount of towels and seats. The water temp in the pool, however, was a different story. Allegedly it is a heated pool but when we jumped it in the water was cold as could be. Our entire group immediately got out of the pool and headed for the outdoor hot tub. As many other reviewers have said the outdoor hot tub is the bomb! We were lucky enough to be outside in the tub as a storm rolled in to Wichita so we were treated to a nice light show and a fairly strong wind. The outdoor hot tub is for sure the highlight of this facility.

5:30 Kickback & Breakfast:
While I have to admit it was a nice touch to be able to have a couple cocktails and some finger food at our disposal each night it wasn't anything to write home about. The food was simple snack foods (i.e. hot dogs, nachos, baked potatoes, chili, salad) and the drinks were nothing special and served in some fairly small glasses filled to the brim with ice. We were treated to a drink concoction served by Costello, our attendant, aptly named Costello and it was the exception to the rule. Not sure what he put in that drink but it was absolutely delicious. Breakfast was, in my opinion, extremely lack luster. For example they had eggs and sausage but not one shred of bacon. We chose to pass on breakfast other than the one morning so maybe it was better on the other days and we just caught it on the bad day....who knows?

Staff:
For the most part the hotel staff was friendly and accommodating with the exception of my check-in experience. All I can say is make sure when you make a reservation that same person is working when you arrive. I was told we would have a bottle of champagne in the room as we were celebrating an anniversary, however that never happened. Fortunately it was suppose to be a freebie and since I was never charged for it I just kept my mouth shut when we checked in.

This is where I found this hotel to be extremely inadequate. While they do have covered parking in a parking garage it is across the street from the hotel. The charge to park in the garage is $8 a day, which I was told would be waived since I booked a suite, however from what my wife and I observed no one pays for parking as the arm blocking admittance to the garage was open all the time. As far as I can tell parking is free for everyone. It is quit a walk for those of us with mobility issues. The hotel does not have valet nor do they have bellhops to assist with luggage. I was dumbfounded when they informed me of those issues at check-in. A hotel this fancy and no valet or bellhop....wow. Guess that is how they afford those drinks at kickback.

Housekeeping:
Housekeeping on a daily basis at this hotel is atrocious. Our housekeeper did a minimal amount of cleaning each day and not once in three days did she remove any trash from the room. As far as we could tell all that was done was the bed made, with the same sheets, and the showers wiped down. Outside of that nothing was cleaned on a daily basis...not sure what that is all about. Had we had more time while we were there I would have asked the desk about it, but as things were I did not have time to mess with this issue so we just dealt with it and cleaned up after ourselves.

Overall:
All things considered I would not say this is the worst hotel experience my wife and I have had, but it was by far not the best. As I said in the beginning this hotel just screamed mediocrity. I personally feel the only reason people give it high ratings is due to the kickback and breakfast, neither of which were anything special. It is definitely worth a one night stay just to take advantage of the outdoor hot tub, but my wife and I won't be back again as for the same money we could have stayed at the Hotel Old Town in one of their suites which are phenomenal or the Hyatt which is also darn impressive.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel Broadview Wichita, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent experience at the Drury Plaza Hotel Broadview. We are pleased to hear that you received excellent service from our bartender and had the opportunity to enjoy several of our amenities including the hot tub. I am sorry that that we did not meet your expectations fully in all areas. We appreciate your time given to the thorough critique of our hotel. If you should have any further questions I would welcome you to contact me directly at 855-234-9811 or at dph.wic.155.gm@druryhotels.com. Thank you for giving us a try!

Scott R.