“Like being in a Western”
Review of Old Cowtown Museum

Old Cowtown Museum
Ranked #4 of 82 things to do in Wichita
More attraction details
Owner description: Be transported back in time at this unique, 23 acre open-air history museum that recreates Wichita and Sedgwick County, Kansas from 1865 to 1880. Museum staff dress in period costume and demonstrate everyday activities including, gardening, tending livestock and cooking. Historic Wichita Cowtown Inc. works with the City of Wichita to further the Museum and its mission. Established in 1952, Cowtown's unique programming chronicles Wichita's transformation from a frontier settlement to a cattle town to an agricultural and manufacturing area. The Museum has the distinction of being accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, the highest national recognition achievable by a museum. Accreditation recognizes high standards in individual museums and ensures they continue to uphold public trust. Only 3 percent of the nation's estimated 34,144 museums are accredited.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

This place was a very good two hours spent. I was there at opening and had the place pretty much to myself. I went in every door I could and if you've ever wondered what it must have been like, you will know after coming here. All of the proprietorships were set up for business, the homes furnished, etc. I enjoyed my first sarsaparilla and the few people I did talk to there were very friendly. It would have been cool to have been there during the times when shows are happening, but because of the upkeep, the access and freedom to roam around at will, I gave it a 5. I was very happy I went.

All reviews
"love history"
"old days"
"history buff"

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Out of season visit so no one dressed up to play the citizens. A fine collection of
buildings and it was a bonus to be able to go inside them and see how life was in
the Old West over one hundred years ago. Being out of season meant you could
take your time strolling from building to building. Information map very helpful.

Reviewed 20 March 2018

It is always great to step back into history. I visited before the opening of the season with a tour group. We had a blast going back in time. Non the less it was nice just to walk around and see inside these buildings. I love going back in time. Even though I probably wouldn't survive it today.

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

We visited here during the off season so we did not get the full experience with period actors etc. We did enjoy seeing the historical buildings and being able to go inside to see items from that time period.

See more reviews
Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

This is a great way to step back into history and learn the past of Wichita. Reenactments, live gun fights, and a working saloon. My kids love this place. Make sure to wear comfortable tennis shoes. The best time to go is in the spring or fall. Winter is too cold and summer is way too hot. It’s an outdoor/indoor exhibit. Some of the indoor exhibits have air conditioning, but most don’t.