“Return Every Year”

Mi Patria Ecuadorian Restaurant
Price range: USD 1 - USD 20
Dining options: Reservations
Description: In March 2011 "Mi Patria" opened becoming the first and only Ecuadorian restaurant in Des Moines. Owner Cesar Miranda (Ecuadorian) with more than fifteen years of experience in the restaurant business, accomplished his dream by bringing the aromas and flavors of his country to Des Moines. A customer of the restaurant stated, "I never imagined finding an Ecuadorian restaurant in Iowa". This gives us an idea of the challenges Cesar Miranda encountered. Before opening the restaurant, Cesar and his wife Delilah exploited every opportunity to prepare, serve and sell their dishes in the different festivals and fairs in the area. They attended World Food Festivals for over four years in Des Moines. This allowed them to predict the success that they would have with their restaurant. Mi Patria offers menus for Lunch and Dinner. The restaurant has a Latin atmosphere with Ecuadorian ornaments and music.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

The food here soothes my soul. Well prepared with excellent spices at reasonable prices. A great find! Service is quick, the setting clean and the food is delicious!

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 1 April 2018

A family group of five of us went to Mi Patria for lunch. Haven't had Ecuadorian food before; didn't know what to expect but it was very tasty. The food has a distinctly different flavor from the familiar Mexican style commonly found in Iowa. I had Tallarin de Pollo, served with white rice and plantains. It is a nicely seasoned (turmeric??) chicken and pasta in a sauce, which I highly recommend. There was more chicken than I would have expected. I came hungry but couldn't finish my large meal. (It warmed up nicely and I enjoyed it later.) My husband ordered Hornado con Moto, which included a huge serving of marinated shredded pork, white corn, a small lettuce-based salad, and yummy cheesy potato patty. Everyone at our table was happy with their food. Our server was attentive and helpful. We will definitely be back soon. I think most people would find something they love at Mi Patria.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

... but unfortunately I had to dig for the small amount of con pollo in my dish.

My wife & I had an early Saturday evening dinner at Mi Patria before we drove downtown for a hockey game. The restaurant is tucked in a strip shopping center with a relatively narrow storefront, but there's plenty of room & lots of tables inside. The clientele leaned toward local patrons, with quite a few conversations in Spanish during our visit. The table service was friendly, but got spotty as the crowd grew. My wife ordered the Chaulafan stir fry, and I had the Arroz con pollo dish. Both were served rather quickly, with an overwhelming amount of rice but disappointing portions of their other ingredients mixed in. The housemade green chile salsa was a good addition (drizzled in moderation over the pile of rice) to add some much-needed flavor, but overall neither of us thought our meals were any better than average.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Shared pulled pork and vegetable plate. Pork refreshing change from US BBQ. Delicious salad. Inch long hominy. Plantains. Nice Latin bottled beers. Corn cakes. I ate at least half.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Passing through the area and decided to look for Food Network recommendations. Came across this quaint place and left very satisfied. Huge portions, reasonably priced, great service and very good food.