All reviews des moines nice kitchenette air fresheners oatmeal staff was friendly great place to stay esa motel contract odor highway
Reviewed 14 February 2017

Although I love to stay in a four/five star hotel, this is perfect for my current situation. I am in a holding pattern waiting on a foreign government to get around to deciding on my visa application, and it looks like I will be here for over a year. I feel at home, the staff is absolutely wonderful, I have learned how to cook a few things without benefit of a large oven... It doesn't feel like a one-night motel...I have enough of my stuff gathered around the room that it's been personalized. I have to back up. I think the main reason for my happiness is the management and staff. The people. Thank you for reading my review.

Room tip: I'm on first floor in front and it is plenty quiet for me.
Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2017

The team and I appreciate your remarks. It is a pleasure to read you are being well accommodated by our staff and that you found our hotel to be comfortable to your liking. We are glad to be able to assist you properly. Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.

Reviewed 30 August 2016

Love my long term but temporary home. I sold my condo in March and had several pending matters in Des Moines, as well as hopes of getting a visa to settle in the UK. I needed a place to stay put and have effectively made my room at Extended Stay America into a cozy bed-sitting room. I love to cook and am able to do everything but bake or roast (a benefit in disguise). Today I made clam chowder. Aside from the physical conveniences in my room, the best thing about this hotel is its staff. They are friendly but professional, and always willing to help me out with tasks difficult for an older person. It is my plan to stay here until my appeal is heard in the UK, when hopefully I will effect my move there. Though most of my "stuff" is in storage, I have every piece of clothing I own in the dresser and closet here in my room. I have an office area with my laptop and a printer, and I have other devices that allow me to stream Netflix and Amazon through the television in my room. And the refrigerator can keep up with my constant thirst. I was not able to indicate the length of my stay, but I expect it will exceed a year. All in all, it's perfect and I'm happy to be here.

Room tip: I am on the first floor facing parking and across hall from laundry. Amazingly quiet.
Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2016

Your feedback is very important. It is satisfying to hear we are able to accommodate you well why you wait for your appeal. I am pleased our staff is providing you with excellent customer service and you are enjoying the fully equipped kitchen provided in your room. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

For the price, it's not a bad value. The bed is comfy, and the room has a good refrigerator. I liked the bath tub that looks as though it was made from recycled material. Be warned, however, the breakfast is less than thin. Solidly decent coffee, otherwise, just pre-packaged muffins and granola bars. And that. is. it.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2016

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. I'm glad you were able to have a great experience, but disappointed that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2016 via mobile

Needed a place to crash for the night after meeting clients but with easy access to downtown for a late morning meeting. I didn't want to break the bank for a 9-10 hour stay.

Clean room. Other reviewers had me in a panic after I read them post-booking. Only two things I found to be true:

1) my second floor room was right below a volleyball team or a crew moving heavy furniture. That noise went away before 10pm but agree the place is not well-insulated for sound.

2)The "free" breakfast was not mentioned at check in. I can see why. It's true. Menu is coffee (which was not ready at 8am for the people in line for it), oranges/apples, small muffins and granola bars. I think it is great to have those as free snacks for guests but to advertise to fellow Iowans that this is "breakfast" is a lie. Breakfast is cereal with milk. Bacon and eggs. Toast with PBJ. Waffles, muffins, Danishes, donuts, and variety of fruit. Only muffins made the list. Only coffee. No OJ and no water.

Too noisy for light sleepers to stay here though. I slept with windows open to get fresh air in the room and interstate is nearby. I slept fine. Halls are heavy with odor disguisers aka air fresheners. They need better ventilation.

Nice kitchenette. But would only stay overnight. I'd pay more to stay somewhere else if I needed to be in the room for more than a bed and a shower.

Good price and clean room. Desk chair incredibly comfy. So 4 stars to to meeting expectations on price and quality. Definitely a 2-2.5 star motel. Would stay again

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2016

Craig - Thank you for your review. We apologize that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. We offer a variety of quick options for our guests that do not have time to cook in their fully equipped kitchens. We will review your feedback and use it to improve our offering. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 18 May 2016

My wife and I were in Des Moines for a concert most of the downtown hotels were booked. We wanted to be closer to the venue but it didn't work out. We chose this location because it was on the west side of town and closer to home. It turned out to be a very nice place and easy dive to many restaurants. We liked it so much we stayed in another Extended Stay in Overland Park, KS two weeks later.

This is not a fancy hotel with a lot of amenities. There was no pool or restaurant but the room was clean and the kitchen would be handy if we chose to cook. They offer breakfast but it is mostly muffins, fruit and coffee..

Room tip: Ask for a blow dryer when you check in. The rooms do not have them
Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2016

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I’m so pleased to read that we were able to meet your expectations and provide you with a great experience. It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our comfortable accommodations as well as our convenient location! Thank you again for posting your review. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations, in the future.