Free cancellation until 02/08
Le Xaragua(Montrouis)
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
All reviewsall inclusive resorta la carte restaurantsrooms are smallseafoodindigo beachspeak frenchshower doorbeautiful propertyle boucanierport au princeclub medwifi is freeair transatlobby areaalcoholic drinksmain lobbywater activities
Reviewed 5 April 2018

3 WORDS - TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I visited Haiti's Royal Decameron in Dec. I booked that trip online and only used the customer service representative for transportation to the resort from the airport. To be honest the driver was extremely late picking me up. So late that the customer service rep. that I contacted told me to wait in the police station until the driver came 2 hours later.

The resort itself is beautiful and despite the transportation issue my mom still decided to have her destination wedding at this resort. The wedding will be Dec 2018. The problem is the dysfunction that occurs while booking this resort through the customer service representatives (Benaiah Jacques and Pierre Patrice Lamothe) at the resort. Since the wedding will be held at this resort we were giving a certain room price until May for all the wedding guest by Benaiah Jacques. Some of these quotes were giving over the phone and written down and other quotes were through email.

Now that all the guest are ready to book. The customer service representation Pierre Patrice Lamothe is giving a more expensive room price. That indicates that there is a disconnect in the customer service team. So I decided to call to speak to someone. (NEVER GOT THROUGH TO THE DECAMERON TEAM IN HAITI). So I then began to write emails (over 7 emails) since Mid March . THEY NEVER RESPONDED TO EMAILS, NOT ONE. I CC'd all of the reservations team and till this day no has ever gotten back to me.

Don't even get me started about their suites. This resort saves their suites for their friends and lies about having suites to begin with. As small as the rooms are at this resort they should promote the suites more often until they are sold out.

At first I thought it was a problem with just me and my family. However, my travel agent and photographers are having the same exact problem. At this point we want to have the wedding at another location. This hotel has a beautiful scenery but for all this trouble, lack of respect and communication is it not worth the money.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Fernando G, General Manager at Royal Decameron Indigo Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

We appreciate your business, and all parties involved will be contacted for a follow up of your request.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

My review wont suffice for the amazing time that we had. This by far has been the most hospitable hotel visit that I’ve had. It’s hard to impress me, as I work in the hospitality industry, and let me say that I was impressed. Everyone that works there from the bartenders, to the housekeepers truly seemed like they enjoyed being there. Christian is definitely an asset to the hotel and creates amazing experiences for their guests. I will definitely be back and already planning for a family vacation in the upcoming months. Thank you for your hospitality!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravelingMel88
Fernando G, General Manager at Royal Decameron Indigo Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Thank you for Choosing Decameron Indigo Beach

Reviewed 25 March 2018

My boyfriend and I stayed at the lovely Royal Decameron Haiti from 03/01/2018 to 03/04/2018 for my birthday so let's consider this a romantic getaway. I am of Haitian decent and my boyfriend is Italian but he's been to Haiti more than me! (via Royal Caribbean cruises). The last time I was in Haiti I was 3 and I am now in my mid 30s so the Haiti I knew (past-tense now) is the one they show you on the news, which isn't all that positive so I was apprehensive at first to go. I booked the property two weeks prior and for both of us the amount was coming in at the low 500s. My boyfriend couldn't believe how inexpensive it was and wanted to see pictures. For the 2 weeks leading up to the trip, I kept thinking..would I have a good time..is it safe..etc etc. Once we made it to the resort all my nerves and fears were put to rest..what a beautiful property on a beautiful island with amazing people! I am so mad at my myself that I didn't come to Haiti sooner. I highly recommend visiting Haiti and staying at the Royal Decameron. Let's get into the details:

Food and Drinks - The food at the main cafeteria/buffet was good, no real complaints. If you want to eat at the restaurant "Le Boucanier", you have to make the reservation the same day so make sure you get down to the reception area early so you can get a spot. The food at Le Boucanier was amazing, the setting was nice, they had live music. We really enjoyed it. The drinks were tasty. Nothing too exclusive but it was nice.

Hotel room - the rooms were really simple but functional. The bathroom could use a few more lights for sure, doing hair and makeup in there was a task but you can get it done. That's the only place with a mirror so there's no "full length" check of yourself. You only get one key and its a physical key but where I went my BF went so there was no issue. We stayed in building 21 ..in room 2121. All the rooms have immediate access to the beach but building 21 was great. That's the south side of the resort and we loved that pool and area. It was end of the south side as well just as a FYI

Entertainment - the in house entertainment was phenomenal! The shows weren't cheesy/corny at all! They even had a fire show on the beach. Make sure to bring an all white outfit for the all white party. The club/dance area was also really nice..loved the Kompa

Beach - what a breath taking beach and view. The huts and pool chairs were always available, no getting up early to reserve seats which was awesome. You only get one towel per pool card so if you like extra towels, I suggest bringing one from home to use . We also brought some lobster and conch from the men on the row bows that yell out to you..best 30 dollars we spent, enough for me and the BF sooooo good. I highly suggest bringing swim shoes. While the beach was beautiful and relaxing, it is rocky so swim shoes will relieve that

Overall, we had a great time. We only stayed on the resort, we didn't venture out once we got to the property. Listen, just have your wits about you when you step out if you decide to do so. Like with any country, just be a wise tourist. There's a gate and security manning the gate so its a safe property, we didn't feel uncomfortable at any time. There will be a language barrier if you don't speak creole and or french. I speak fluent creole so me and the BF were good. You'll find English speaking employees there but its not in abundance however don't let that deter you. Also, there's mostiquoes and i read a prior review so I brought insect repellent wrist bands and they did the job. While they do spray the property, you still may get bit so bring something to spare yourself the bites.

We will definitely be back, Haiti has its issues like an other country but the vibe, energy and beauty of the island is undeniable. Glad I finally came back home!!
Ayiti Cherie!!!

BOOK THIS TRIP!

Room Tip: BUILDING 21...on the south side really close to the better pool and less crowded
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LoSimKnows

We thank you for choosing Decameron Haiti and are pleased to read your positive feedback.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Very pretty beach and nice pools- but that's about it. Rooms are austere, musty and really run down and you need a manual key to get in. God forbid you lost the key, they will charge you $25.00 and only one key even if there is more than one person in the room, same for Beach tower only one per person and also $25.00 fees if you lost it. Food is mediocre at best. Only lukewarm water in the shower only after running it for a few minutes which is a real drag. This is not a place for discerning travelers with higher expectations. The gym is dirty and the three treadmills stop working if you run past 4 miles, no towel and the machines are so old. The show at night is repetitive and perform by Dominican instead of Haitian and it’s an imitation of Haitain folklore, very mediocre. I expected to experience a genuine Haitian culture instead I got an imitation. The concierges sometimes seems clueless and don’t know what they are doing. You have to ask for an iron and a small fridge there were none in the room until we asked for it. They messed up our reservation and we ended up in a room for 2 people instead of 3 and got nothing for it- no even a free excursion. The manager was useless. The ground is the only reason for the two stars.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family

thank you for choosing Decameron. We value your opinion and will do the necessary to improve where needed.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

Travelled to Haiti: Royal Decameron March 4 to 11, 2018.

My main reason for travelling to Haiti is that my wonderful lady is from that part of the world, so I felt it would be great to see her country of origin.

Overall, it was a wonderful week.

Here is a summary of the experience from my perspective.

- Airport: Not as chaotic as I expected. Our Airbus 330 was packed with a large group of Canadians from Montreal but honestly working our way through the airport took under an hour. The Air Transat rep met our group at the airport and issued our all-inclusive bracelets right on the spot. No biggie...relax you're on vacation.

- Driving to the Resort: Comfortable bus, the 90 minute drive gave me a first look at the realities of Haiti. Wondered how they will ever be able to expand the road in the future.

- Check In: Our room was not ready but they gave us another room. We were all set within an hour. Nice welcome punch, as usual in the Caribbean. We were a large group so I expected it to take longer.

- The Food: We ate very well and felt great all week. We have travelled to many areas of the Caribbean and we really enjoyed the food at the Decameron. There was plenty of variety and it tasted great. I put on a couple of pounds as a result.

They offered 3 different bottled wines (red, white and rosé), that were "ok". A boutique is available on site if you want to buy something a bit more upscale.

- The Resort: The place is huge. The room was simple yet comfortable and very clean but it could use a bit more decoration. We had warm water for showering. There is not a lot of storing space, as others have stated. Flat screen TV, provided some background noise for the minimal time we spent in the room.

- Activities: Wonderful animation team. We used the gym and participated in the 10AM Fitness sessions, a bike ride around the resort, circuit training, played basketball with an animator....tons of stuff to do.

The beach is great, clean and warm water. Water was generally calm expect for one day when it was windy.

TIP: Bring beach shoes as there are pebbles in the sand in some areas (ouch !).

TIP #2: For snorkelling, try the right side close to the marina.

- Excursion #1 (Transat): The highlight of our trip was the Kay Piat hike up a mountain. Very memorable. Quite challenging on a hot day but we loved it. If you enjoy hiking you will love this and will be moved by seeing folks living along the trail up the mountain. We visited a school and luckily had packed school supplies to give out. Our two guides were wonderful. Great experience and you're back at the resort by lunch.

TIP: Bring extra water if you tend to drink a lot on hiking trails.

- Excursion #2 (Transat): We also spent a full day (leaves at 7AM, back at 7PM) to Port Au Prince. If you stay on the resort, you have seen a nice resort but you have not really seen Haiti. I'm glad I went on this excursion although it was a tiring day. The guide was very knowledgeable and we had a great lunch. The Musée de Panthéon was a highlight.

TIP: Rest up the night before before the bus leaves early and it's a full day.

Overall, it was a wonderful week.

My own personal pet peeve: Please leave tips ! Just because it's an "all-inclusive" does not prevent visitors from leaving tips.

Merci Haiti.

Room Tip: Further back from "central pool area" if you want quiet at night
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple