“Delish dishes and a casual atmosphere”
Review of Wooden Nickel - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Wooden Nickel
Cuisines: American, Italian
Description: It is located in the basement of the Hotel Iowa. We ate here on 11/26/2010
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We tried this restaraunt on a recommendation from our Innkeepers. I was told it was as close to fine dining as it gets in the area. The restaraunt is in the basement of a building. It has a bar, decently clean bathrooms, and a very laid back atmosphere. There are linen table cloths on the tables, and linen napkins, but the room itself is not fancy. It kind of reminded me of being in the basement of a church.

The service was excellent! Our waitress was perfectly attentive--not overly or underly so. Our drinks were refilled in perfect time, and the food was served piping hot.

A salad was served before the meal with italian dressing. It had iceburg lettuce, black olives, lots of white or sweet onions (not my fav), and tomato. After removing the onions it was very good: veggies were crisp and fresh.

I had the chicken kreps, which was incredible. It was a huge chicken breast stuffed with a white cheese and crab, breaded, with a crab topping. The chicken was super juicy, and the breading was perfectly crisp. The crab was fresh with no fishy taste. As a side I had the fettucini with garlic cream sauce. It was tasty but a bit much when paired with the chicken. If you try the dish, get the potato instead. Someone else in the party ordered the 14oz ribeye and said it was good. Not the most flavorful but not the worst he has had by far. It did cover the more than half the plate and was cooked to the perfect medium. Another person ordered the ribs and the meet was perfectly cooked--falling off the bones. We had bananas foster for dessert. While it was not New Orleans quality (quite liquidy and the bananas not cooked til carmelized) it had a very good flavor.

The amount of food you get for the price is incredible--each meal could feed 2 easily. The quality of the food was on the upper end, the service was fantastic, and the ambiance is laid back, very casual. I would recommend trying them out. I would go back for the delicious chicken kreps--awsome! Wooden Nickel: don't change a thing with the chicken!

There are newer reviews for Wooden Nickel

Reviewed 12 September 2011

The ambiance lacks a little, but the food is pretty good. Not the best I've had, but maybe as good as any I've had in a town of 10,000 people. Good food, good service, good value. Try it!

Reviewed 4 June 2011

Service was good. Food quality could improve, it was of poor taste-it seemed like it was microwaved. Wife had a dirty spoon and the table we sat at was wobbly. Prices are about averge for this area, about 12 dollars a plate for dinner.