“nice coffee shop...”

High Ground Cafe
Ranked #2 of 6 Coffee & Tea in Iowa City
Cuisines: Cafe, Soups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours
Description: About: Organic Coffee/Espresso Drinks! Organic tea. Fresh Fruit Smoothies! Fresh Squeezed Lemonade! Affordable lunch, gluten free options! BEER, WINE, PATIO! Description: The High Ground Cafe has a open, relaxed atmosphere were you can get some of the best coffee, always ground fresh to order. We have excellent all organic tea options which include loose leaf and flowering teas. Stop in for a fresh fruit smoothie made with no concentrates or frozen puree. Our lemonade is fresh squeezed and we do lunch too! Made to order sandwich, soups and salads. A light fair that's affordable and available gluten free!
Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

I had a nice freshly brewed dark coffee....you have a choice from a nice variety of different coffee flavour from around the world from light to dark...I liked my dark coffee...nice atmosphere and setting...good music...excellent service...

Reviewed 20 June 2017

My daughter and I stopped in for snacks and drinks before a long car ride. The lemonade was delicious, fresh and refreshing on a HOT day. My daughter's smoothie and banana bread were great as well.

Reviewed 15 March 2017

#1 Fireplace
#2 Late hours
#3 Tons of tables
#4 Patio space - I can't wait for spring, summer and fall to get here

Have been coming here in mornings for coffee on the way into work and coming back in evenings to get some work done after dinner and the gym. The late hours here makes for a great alternative to the hubbub at Java House and there's usually parking easily found here.

Great coffee, Kickapoo from Wisconsin, and americanos! I've been working my way through the loose-tea menu. Earl Grey is a staple for me and the blend here has a strong flavor. The Rooibos Chai is very good and doesn't have the Rooibos after taste that my tastebuds do not like. My only recommendation would be a dish to hold the leaves after an adequate amount of steeping time. I've taken to using the to-go coffee lids to hold the mesh strainer and tea leaves.

I haven't had a chance to partake in the beer and wine selection, but hope to soon. There is a quite and extensive list to choose from!

Staff has always been friendly and the background music perfect in the evenings. I love that the tables are larger than the usual small cafe tables. I can have a giant textbook and a notebook spread out while working. The loveseat in front of the fireplace is popular. One of these days i'll get to enjoy with a good book and a cup of coffee.

Reviewed 19 October 2016 via mobile

Wow!

The coffee here is outstanding! It's dramatic and smooth like a live action movie. The brew I had was bona fide to what quality coffee should taste like. After living in Iowa City for half a year, I can confidently say that this is the coffee shop for premium coffee.

I was very impressed and happy with my experience.

Reviewed 16 May 2016 via mobile

Saw a few reviews mention how good their dirty chai was here. As always, one of the easier ways to tell if a coffee house knows what they're doing is to order a milk alternative like soy or almond and pray they don't burn it. Ooooh, my. Made me wanna jump up and slap my mama, it was so good. Would have ordered a sandwich as well if it wasn't too early. Barista was really friendly and it's a cute looking location. Definitely a worthwhile stop if you're looking for a good place to get your caffeine fix.

Been to High Ground Cafe? Share your experiences!