All reviews choice hotels waffles room was clean pool and hot tub biscuits and gravy would stay again wear and tear desk clerk visited dubuque queen bed ice machine looked nice checking out dubuque area cereal pillows signal
Reviewed 1 January 2018

WOW, not quite sure of recent good reviews.. As one other person said, it's a "tired hotel in need of improvements"... We had stayed there on Saturday night (Dec 30th) with family from another state. We drove 2 1/2+ hours from the southwest, and they drove 2 1/2+ hours from the east. Perfect meeting place in the middle, so we though! I had used my Choice Hotels reward points for the rooms, and definitely not worth the points that they charged. I will go into that later also. We had gotten 2 rooms. One room had a single king bed (rm 215), and the other room (rm 209) was a king bed and a queen bed suite. Not quite sure I understand how they qualify that as a suite, but the room was definitely larger than our single king room. So, we decided for 10 of us to use the 2-bed room for christmas gifts for the kids. No where to sit in there, except for 2 chairs. We also brought snacks with us. Pretty much the only reason we stayed here was because of the free points and it was one of the few hotels in the area that allowed pets!

So, here is where the problems start...

1. We sent my brother's girlfriend down to the front desk to ask for a plastic knife to cut the brownies. She was rudely told by the front desk lady that everything was put away until breakfast and would not get her a knife. Come to find out, this was the same lady working the front desk / breakfast area the morning of the 31st (today). So, the question becomes, why couldn't she just grab a plastic knife? Not like she was asking for food or anything!

2. My mother and my kids went down for breakfast around 7 and said that the eggs and sausage in the warmer were cold. She told the lady at the front desk that they were cold. When I went down with my wife for breakfast shortly after 8, I grabbed a couple of sausages and guess what, they were cold also. I told the same lady that they were cold and she just glared at me. About 5 minutes later I saw her come out with a bowl and empty the pan of sausages into the bowl and take them back into the area behind the desk. About 5 or 10 minutes later, I saw her bring the same bowl back out. I still had 2 of the original suasages on my plate, and gave them to my mother's dog that was down by us. Normally this small dog eats anything you give it. But instead she left the sausage on the floor. So what does that tell you about the sausage. If a dog won't eat it, then why should I?

3. The chairs in the breakfast area need to be replaced. I sat down in one and thought I was going to hit the floor. The legs were loose enough that I could rock the chair back and forth more than an inch without the legs leaving the floor. The guy at the table next to me looked at me and said that most of the chairs were that way.

4. The stair railing coming up the stairs at the north end of the building appears to have been pulling off the wall for quite sometime. Looks like they put in large leg screws into the 3 rings, but the top one at the 2nd floor landing isn't even holding in the wall, as when I was walking up the stairs, I lost my balance and tought the railing was going to come flying off the wall! The screw literally pulled right out of the wall, thus wasn't even holding into anything!

5. Rm 209, the door latch on the back of the door appears to have been ripped out a time or two before and when we were there it was very loose.

6. Rm 209, Mother said the heater ran non-stop all night. She said she didn't realize until this morning that the window in here room was actually unlocked and opened a little bit, thus letting cold air in. She closed it herself and locked it.

7. Rm 215, door did not shut all of the way and latch closed on it's own. We didn't realize it until we were relaxing in the room when our daughter came down the hall, played with the door handle and the door opened without us opening the door and without her using the key card at all. After that, we made certain to close the door all the way ourselves and not trust the door to close on it's own.

8. Rm 215, this has got to be one of the smallest king bed rooms' I've ever been in. The room was located right behind the elevator. Got to listen to the elevator all night, and believe me, you can hear a normal conversation in the room from the elevator. The outlet's in the room had some kind of stain on them, as you could outline each of the outlets with something brown! This has also got to be a new record for the smallest bathroom in any hotel I've been too! You could tell they had to actually trim the door to open it past the toilet bowl. Never thought I would ever see something like that! The bathroom was small enough, you had to slide in between the toilet and the sink just to close the door if you wanted to get in the shower. The bathroom door would even latch shut.

9. Walls and floors are very thin. Got the luxury of listening to people stumping their feet going up and down the hall on our floor, plus got to listen to the people above us. At times, we could easily hear other kids in rooms close to us and the hallway!

10. They charge WAY too much for the reward points that we used to for the 2 rooms. This hotel, they charged me 16,000 points per room. 16,000 for a Quality Inn??? What a rip off. Not sure I understand why. I know it wasn't because of it being a Saturday, and sure wasn't a holiday, sure yes it was a holiday weekend, but not the holiday itself! I stayed at a Quality Inn on a Friday & Saturday night in Sycamore IL (just outside of Chicago area) and that was at 10,000 per night (Friday & Satuday night). Then one time we stayed at 2 very nice Comfort Inn's in Omaha NE and both of those hotels, it was 10,000 points each. So based on Comfort Inn is a higher ranking hotel compared to the Quality Inn, I really don't understand why this hotel has to charge 16,000 per night.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 December 2017

I've stayed at 2 Quality Inns before where the one in Brookfield, WI was mediocre and the other one in King City, CA was pretty horrific (in my separate reviews). This one though in Dubuque was pretty nice. The check-in process was very quick with Nash explaining everything about the functions of the hotel.

The room was clean and comfortable with a mini-fridge/microwave. I absolutely enjoyed my stay very much. There are shuttles from Diamond Jo's casino and the new Q casino (formally Mystique) coming and going pretty late, which is nice if you don't have a car. Then you can walk to the nearby businesses or the Mississippi riverside to enjoy them as well. This Quality Inn is right next to the Baymont Inn & Suites and within reasonable walking distance to Lowe's and Wal-Mart across the highway. The Wal-Mart is open 24/7. Keep in mind there's no walk signal so just watch the traffic and lights when crossing the street.

The only bad parts of the stay was later that first evening into the rest, was that the wi-fi wasn't working properly and the pool conditions. The pool water itself was perfectly clean but there was slight dirt around the bottom legs of one sun deck chair I was sitting in. The ceramic paint above the pool water was peeling probably due to normal wear and tear. It looked like it could use a new coat. I also noticed two slight cracks in the windows facing the lobby. But other than that it was fine.

Contrary to some of the other reviews posted, the breakfast wasn't skimpy and actually went a little past 10 am (half hour later than the 9:30 am time that Nash stated). I enjoyed talking with some of the other travelers. Cindy was able to not only extend the checkout time to noon but didn't mind when I was a little behind, checking out at around quarter to 1, thankfully.

Even after checkout, after my long walk to Slumberland Furniture, the Word Of Life church, and the Longhorn western apparel store, she still took the time helping me with the Uber situation and allowing me to charge up my cell phone. We found that the guest computer wasn't connecting to the wi-fi network either so she was trying to look up the fare estimate on their main one, but no such luck figuring it out. I was able to use my phone's data network to get a fare estimate before requesting a ride so it all worked out.

Overall, I had a pretty decent stay and wouldn't hesitate to come here again. It's a nice example of a great Quality Inn and should be rated a bit higher too here on TripAdvisor.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

We have family in DBQ and choose the Quality Inn based on affordability, convenience and previous stays and other Quality Inn's. Our stay was average. Most of the staff was attentive to our requests, but our room was dirty. Pool area was decent and not busy. Breakfast was ok. Photo's attached are ofbpur room up in arrival!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 November 2017

I stayed here two nights with my wife and 6-year-old son. The hotel itself and front desk service could use some attention. Carpets in the rooms, stairwells and hallways were dirty and in need of replacement. The pool has mildew around the edges. The hotel kept running out of sausage and eggs during breakfast time, and the front desk attendant seemed more interested in being on the computer instead of making coffee, restocking breakfast foods, emptying trash and cleaning the breakfast area. I would not stay here again.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

The hotel was very nice. But our room keys did not work at all. We had two dogs in our room and the ladies at the lobby had to let us in our room every time we wanted to go upstairs. It was a complete hassle. The lobby ladies were very nice when they had to let us up but we just felt bad because we had to keep asking and we went upstairs about 10 different times Saturday night. I'm trying to get ahold of the manager to see if they can reimburse us for some of the hassle we had to go through. The pool is nice the breakfast areas nice and we got to hang out with friends and family in the breakfast area at night. But the only issue we really had was our room key and not being able to go upstairs is often as we wanted to with the dogs and the people that we had with our group.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends