“Excellent food”

Caroline's Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 226 Restaurants in Dubuque
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

This is a beautiful restaurant located in the Hotel Julien. The wait staff was very friendly and checked us in right away. The dining area is spacious and the decorations are pretty. The restaurant was clean and tidy. We were there for an Easter buffet, which was great. The buffet was laid out beautifully and there were many selections to choose from. The food was really good. It was a little hard to get a cup of coffee, you just need to flag down the wait staff. Will definitely return to this restaurant.

1  Thank Beckie S
HotelJulienDubuqueGM, General Manager at Caroline's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2018

Dear Caroline's Restaurant Dining Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent experience at Caroline's Restaurant. We appreciate your kind words and five-star review.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Dwight Hopfauf
Hotel Julien Dubuque

Reviewed 5 April 2018

This is an inviting, cozy restaurant with a very friendly staff. The salad was outstanding and the manager was nice enough to give us a sample of the White Bean Chicken Chili that we hadn't ordered. It was also outstanding. So we were eagerly anticipating our entre but both were a disappointment. My husband had the shrimp special which was explained as having large shrimp when in fact they were average. The wild rice was a little too wild for my husband's taste and winces every time I say we are having rice. My entree was the Hungarian Pork Ribeye which was one of the dishes recommended by the manager. The first two bites were grissle. The tomato sauce was not to my liking and hours later it felt like it wasn't digesting. Regrettably 3 stars is all I can give it.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Spent many nights at the Julien and eaten at Carolines most nights. Food has always been of a really high standard and presented really well. I like that you see the same faces and they remember you by name.
Staff have always been really friendly and courteous. Ive had some great conversations at Carolines bar with both patrons and staff.
It's one place i really look forward to getting back to again.

1  Thank Darren J

Dear Caroline's Restaurant Dining Guest,

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Dwight Hopfauf
Hotel Julien Dubuque

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

My wife had shrimp and I had fish. The service was mediocre at best. Waitress forgot our drink order. My wife’s shrimp were some of the best ever. They were huge and cooked to perfection. My fish however was some of the worst I’ve ever had. Frozen fish was tasteless and was not served hot. The chef was supposed to be an award winner but I’m not sure why. The only thing I can come up with is that there must have been very limited competition. I can’t recommend Caroline’s.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We've eaten here every day that we've been here in Dubuque since it's connected to our hotel. The food is very good. The service isn't great. Our meal never came out the way we ordered it. They always forgot our bacon, or our son's meal, or ketchup. But the servers are very nice and accommodating, and everything we tried for breakfast and dinner were tasty.