“Not a good choice”
Review of Hops & Rye

Hops & Rye
Ranked #88 of 227 Restaurants in Dubuque
Price range: USD 9 - USD 21
Description: Welcome to the corner of Happy & Hops!! Hops & Rye is a new Speakeasy bar and restaurant located in the Old Main Historic district in downtown Dubuque, IA. Designed to combine made from scratch gourmet food with exciting drinks in a fun and comfortable atmosphere. Stop by for lunch or dinner and enjoy our great selection of craft beers, wine and cocktails or join us on Saturday and Sunday mornings from 11 am - 1 pm for our Bloody Mary Bar and Bottomless Mimosas.
Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

Sorry to say Ive dined here twice, first time for dinner shortly after they opened and I ordered a burger which was so greasy I ended up with a stomach ache. My husband had something I cannot remember what but he didn’t care for it and the couple we were with said their food was marginal. So we girls gathered here yesterday and the majority of us were so disappointed. One friend ordered chicken tacos which had leaf lettuce in it, not chopped up and a small bit of chicken and shredded cheese , which spilled in her lap when the waitress set it on the table. She then requested sour cream and salsa and they had neither!!! I ordered a chicken thai salad and asked the waitress if if was small because I has heard their portions were small and she said yes so I ordered a double $10 each salad. Huge mistake!! It was a bag salad you can get at Hyvee and there was absolutely NO lettuce in the thing! It was chopped Kale, Brussel sprouts and cabbage! So be prepared IF you are expecting a “fresh” lettuce salad as I was. Needless to say I won’t be back! The other drawback to the location is it’s downtown so always having to feed a parking meter.

Teri L, Owner at Hops & Rye, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

I'm sorry your experience was not a positive one. We always have Salsa and Sour Cream so I'll address that with our server to ensure she's aware of that. Also, our salads are not bagged and we usually get good reviews on them, so I'll look into what happened on the day you were there.

Reviewed 6 August 2018

New place in Dubuque in one of the older classical buildings across from the library. The atmosphere was really nice and decor was definately period...

A couple of things to note:

First of all, the host was not present or apparent when we first walked in. Didn't see a sign that said if we were to wait to be seated or to seat ourselves. After a few minutes we were seated... the place wasn't full... there were a number of tables, but there were open tables as well. We were seated in kind of an awkward spot... by the wait station, and right by the opening between the restaurant and bar area. I wouldn't call it cozy. Not sure why they chose that spot when there were others that were better... but it wasn't the end of the world.

Ordered the Jambalaya... not something I would usually order, but it looked intriguing... so I thought, why not give it a shot? My wife ordered a burger of some sort.

Food was a little slow coming out... drink service was also a little slow. I am sure they are still working out the bugs, being they just opened.

The main thing that needs to be addressed, in my opinion, is portion size. The Jambalaya was really good... BUT it was TINY. I am not a big guy. My wife and I are both fit and active, and watch what we eat. I could have eaten 3 of these things... and not felt full. Again, it was REALLY good.. but if the entire thing consisted of 5 or 6 ounces of food... I would be surprised.

Another thing: The wait staff sat and talked amongst themselves fairly loudly at the wait station.. which, I guess, is what wait stations are for... the problem is the wait station is in the middle of the room... and we happened to be sitting right across from it.. as in 5 feet away... which you would think would mean that our diet cokes would always be full.. but that wasn't the case. They talked and paid very little attention to the tables...

Again, I think this is all growing pains. We will try the place again after awhile when they have some time to iron out the kinks. I think there is real potential here if they decide to step it up a little bit.

1  Thank travelin_fool_1969
Teri L, Owner at Hops & Rye, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2018

Thank you for your review. I have taken note of your suggestions and will definitely train my staff to adhere to these things. I'll also discuss the size of our jambalaya with my chef. I'm glad to hear that you'll give us another chance.

Reviewed 23 July 2018

Great place to grab a bite to eat for lunch or dinner. Menu is not too big but offers plenty of choices. I have nearly made my way through all thier offerings and not a bad choice in the bunch! Service is good, staff always friendly.

Teri L, Owner at Hops & Rye, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2018

Thank you for your nice review. We're so glad you enjoy our food and service! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

Hops and Rye is the recent addition of great food in downtown Dubuque! My husband and I went there initially because it is 1 block from our residence. We have come back a dozen times because the food and atmosphere is fantastic. The staff is Number One. What great people. You can tell they truly enjoy working there. The clam chowder is great. I am from New England and Hops and Rye did justice to their New England Clam Chowder. The Eggs Benedict is so delicious. You have to try the burgers. Fabulous! Hops and Rye, you are our Go To for a great time!

Teri L, Owner at Hops & Rye, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2018

Thank you for this nice review. We love it when our neighbors visit us! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 31 May 2018

This place has quickly become my new favorite place to eat and drink. Since Hops opened up a few months ago I have probably eaten here about a dozen times and have never been let down. I highly recommend the lobster bisque on Fridays along with the steak bites and cheese curds for openers. The nightly specials are always good but I can always fall back on fish and chips or the steak. The beer selection is great but I am more of a bourbon/whiskey drinker and their selection is the best in the tri-state area! They have great seating outside along with a giant patio and nice lighting for a perfect date night.

Teri L, Owner at Hops & Rye, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2018

Thanks Dave. You always bring the fun with you when you visit us!

Been to Hops & Rye? Share your experiences!