See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 April 2016 via mobile

We stayed April 15, 2016. Staff was very friendly and the room was very clean and spacious. The hotel has great bones. We could not hear anyone else in the hotel so the walls seem pretty solid (Or no one else was staying there!). The bathroom was small and there was no exhaust fan. Our toilet was a little too powerful (Keep the lid closed when flushing). We had a corner room on the sixth floor so there was lots of natural light and a great view. It was walking distance from a really great French restaurant. We requested a rollaway bed, which was already in the room when we arrived, but the mattress on the rollaway was quite dated and not very comfortable. My guess is that they don't replace those often since they are usually slept on by children. I would stay there again, but what you get is not fantastic compared to similarly priced hotels in other big cities.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Tara M, Director of Sales at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2016

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your specific comments, especially about the bathroom exhaust and the toilet. I have made note with our team here so those items can be reviewed. In addition, thank you for the rollaway statement as we are working to purchase new beds and your review will help in that endeavor.

We hope you will come back in 2017 as we undergo a full renovation this fall and will open in early 2017 with new everything.

Take care and make it a great day.

Reviewed 7 April 2016

Stayed 3 nights at this Historic hotel has all the amenities for a higher en hotel however, not too practical for a frequent traveler. In saying that, I mean the lack of refrigerator and microwave in the rooms is a little inconvenient in opinion. In addition, your options for parking are the valet at $18 a day or the parking garage across the street at $11 to $12 a day. I opted for the less expensive public parking, not only did I save money on the daily rate; I also did not feel obligated to tip somebody for driving the rental car. Lack of refrigeration, I found myself running to the ice machine on the 8th or 10th floor. For some reason there is no ice machine on the 9th floor. I seem to be on a "clogged shower or tub drains streak" as this hotel had a drainage issue in the tub. No worries I called and they fixed right away (within 30 minutes). It was humorous as the maintenance man stated, "Chewbacca must have been in this room before you" and we both laughed. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are quiet. The staff was top notch! I arrived at noon, way early, and although the Studio King they were preparing for myself was not ready. They were able to get me into a King bed room at that time. Highly recommend just for the experience and if your in the area for entertainment at Wells Fargo Arena, then you are a walk away. Video of the room on the YouTube Channel Thank for reading and if it helps give a thumbs up!

RetiredArmyRANGER

• Trip type: Travelled on business

Thank you so much for your review. I appreciate your specific thoughts on the microwave and refrigerators. In the process of getting ready for our renovation we have not replaced the ice machine on the 9th floor however, I will ensure your comments are share with our management team so that ice machines on every floor can be evaluated. I am pleased to hear that the team was able to check you in early and that the experience with our hotel and staff was above standard. I love hearing that you had a laugh over the Chewbacca statement however, maybe not the best joke all the time but glad you got a kick out of it. In addition, I will definitely view the video and thank you again for your kind words and comments. We love hearing from our guests.

Reviewed 6 April 2016

Room was old and very warm while it was cold outside. Heating and cooling worked on a dial, but it would not cool down and no fan control. Called the front desk at midnight (checked in late), and someone looked at it. I have been a Platinum Marriot for years, but booked this third party at the last minute. I will not stay there again.
I gave it an average rating due to convenience and location... but definitely not representative of what I would expect form a Renaissance hotel.

Room tip: Maybe ask to view the room before accepting...
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
danhaymes, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2016

Hello DJ,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our TripAdvisor Survey.

As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience during your travels, we have unfortunately fallen short of our goal during your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apology for the heating and cooling issues. We have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure that this was an isolated issue.

Upholding my commitment to provide a memorable experience with exceptional service, I would like to offer you 1,500 Marriott Reward Points. What would be the best way to contact you so I may gather your Marriott Rewards number to add the additional points? Once again, thank you for your valued feedback and we hope to serve you again whenever your travels bring you back to Des Moines.

Dan Haymes
Director of Guest Experience
Renaissance Savery Hotel
dan.haymes@marriott.com
515-244-2151

Reviewed 22 March 2016

I stayed here the weekend before my move to Des Moines last week. My first great experience was check in with Jan. I could have talked with her and hung out all night with the level of pleasantness and conversation at reception. My room was on the 10th floor overlooking the river and capital grounds. The hotel is super convenient to most, whether on foot or driving. All things being equal, if deciding between the downtown Marriott at the Renaissance, I'd go with the Savory.

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Viking94708

You have no idea what your kind words mean to both Jan and our team here. We love Jan dearly and for many years she has taken care of our guests and done an exceptional job. I am thrilled to hear that you had a delightful stay and that in the end, you have made your decision on where to stay in downtown Des Moines.

We look forward to having you back and cannot wait to show you our newly renovation hotel in early 2017.

Thank you so much.

Reviewed 18 March 2016

The newly remodeled exercise room was great with plenty of room and equipment. The rooms are good, the bathrooms are small and need a little remodeling but overall it was a good stay. I've stayed here many times and its very close to downtown nightlife, restaurants and Cort avenue, all within walking distance. Wells Fargo arena is also a 4-5 block walk.

Room tip: Get a view of the capital...it's great.
Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Mark H, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2016

Steve, thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We loved hearing your overall satisfaction and cannot wait to share the news of our renovation with you. Currently scheduled for July through December, we are going to completely transform the hotel. Literally every square foot of the property is being remodeled and transformed. Thank you for your business and please be sure to stay with us on your next trip to Des Moines.