See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 March 2016

Very nice, large room. Very comfortable bed. I was close to the elevator, but my room was still quiet. I had space to stretch and do a light work out in the room. Nice fitness center. Breakfast buffet not included in room price, but not excessively high priced and very good food and coffee. Server on duty was excellent and attentive.

I love the rooms with the state capital view in this hotel. I did not have one this time, but have in the past and the view is spectacular, especially at night. Parking ramp was conveniently close, but not included in cost of hotel. Even with no breakfast or parking, the cost was not excessive to spend a night in relative luxury. This hotel compares well with the nicest I have stayed in anywhere in the country. It is well located and very close to a variety of great restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor with state capital view.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
Mark H, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2016

Mark, It was our pleasure to be able to serve you during your recent visit to the Des Moines area. Thank you for the great review and we are very pleased to have warranted such high praise!

Reviewed 14 March 2016

Stayed one night at the Des Moines Renaissance and enjoyed the old girl. The customer service was great. The hotel lobby and bar/restaurant area had a nice appeal also. The room we had was very big and had a couch. The only drawback is we had two bathrooms in our room but they are both small. Not much counter space and I would think an elderly or larger person would have some difficulty. Like I say this was the only thing that could be a drawback for a customer. Also, I believe there is no pool. The workout room was nice and there were a nice choice of machines. The one missing item was no spay bottle to wipe down the equipment when you are done sweating. Maybe I just missed it?

The location is very nice with a strip of sports bars just a couple blocks south. Also the civic center was a couple blocks. The Wells Fargo Arena was about a five minute walk but I think a shuttle is available also from the hotel.

One note, there is valet parking for $18 a night. There is a parking ramp within a stones throw of the hotel and I believe to park there overnight was $11. I am going to write a book sometime called the "frugal travel guide". Just saying it is an option. I booked our room through bidding online, so since I got the room for under $100 I used the valet service.

Again, very nice stay and extremely convenient for downtown activities. There is something glamorous about an old hotel that has been updated.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Travelbugiowa, on behalf of the staff and management of the "Grande Dame" of Des Moines, the Renaissance Savery, we thank you for your visit and for your great review. Please be certain to see us again upon your next trip to our great city!

Reviewed 12 March 2016 via mobile

We really enjoy this hotel. The location is great- close to restaurants, east village, and other major attractions. The rooms are nice- we got a 6th floor, corner room overlooking the capital. The staff is nice and helpful. Parking, if you don't want to do valet ($18 per day), runs just $11 per day and is steps from the hotel door. Overall, a good place to stay.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Kassy, it is so satisfying to hear from guests telling us that we exceeded their expectations. The team here at the Renaissance Savery works very hard to provide a great getaway spot for our weekend travelers. We are so glad that you enjoyed it!

Reviewed 15 February 2016

The Savery is a historic hotel within walking distance of everything downtown--the Performing Arts Center, Wells Fargo Arena, the Capitol Building, and the East Village. As others have mentioned, it's historic status comes with some negatives. I came here for a 10 day stay right after the Iowa caucuses, and the place was very lightly booked. I was lucky enough to have either business travelers or no one in adjoining rooms until my second weekend, when Home Show convention and other noisy, late-night people made Saturday a very unpleasant experience. The sound insulation is not good at all---between the rooms as well as the slamming doors in the hallways. But, that was only one night, and then it resumed its role as primarily a business hotel, and the Front Desk is able to keep Marriott Premium folks in quiet areas. The Club is on the 11th floor, and is quite nice for a drink, as well as a quiet spot for breakfast. As many have mentioned, the staff is outstanding. Keith seems to be at the Front Desk 24/7, Reyna and Sherry are great in the Club, and although I can't remember their names, the guys running Valet and help at Reception are always friendly. Parking is $18 per day--valet only-- across the street, and it's a good deal if you're going to be coming and going multiple times through the day. Otherwise, the paid parking at 4th and Grand, 100 yards across from the entrance, is only $11, and free on Sat/Sun. There is no pool, but a decent fitness room is available 24 hours. The rooms are fine, if a bit dated. I like staying in a place that has some history and is distinctive, and taken together with a great staff, this is a good choice for a downtown stay in DSM.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business

Dear Bowsermania, we truly appreciate you choosing our hotel for your recent stay. It was indeed a pleasure to serve you and we are very happy to hear that met your needs. We look forward to being your host during your next visit to Des Moines.

Reviewed 27 January 2016 via mobile

Stayed for two nights. The staff were extremely helpful. The on-site bar/restaurant offered quality food at hotel prices. Room was spacious and well appointed. My only complaint is the free WiFi, extremely slow. I used my mobile Hotspot.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled on business
Mark H, Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2016

Chemistryman666, Thank you for your review. we are extremely glad to hear that you had an excellent stay. Your comment about the WIFI band width is being resolved and we are in the process of upgrading the hotels capabilities by 10 fold!