“Outstanding from the moment I walked in the door!”

Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel
Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
“Outstanding from the moment I walked in the door!”
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Greeted and checked in by happy people at guest relations! Arrived at my room and found I had been upgraded to a huge 2BR suite. Older hotel but I love the charm. Great concierge lounge. Room service was wonderful. Every employee I met was helpful and friendly!!

• Stayed January 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Lewisville, Texas
Reviewed 21 January 2012

The staff were good and the bed was "Marriott great" so most everything was fine. The room itself was just very small so that was the only drawback. The cafe serves some very good food as well.

• Stayed January 2012
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Our room was on the 11th floor and faced the Capitol building. You get a great view of it and the river. Neatly decorated, it is where history meets modern electronics.

It had a kitchen, walk in closet and a very comfortable bed with extra feather pillows.

The location is great, within walking distance to local restaurants and pubs.

Room Tip: 11th floor, facing the capitol building.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Iowa
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Okay, so the hotel is listed on the National Historic Register. It's cool, but not THAT cool. This hotel reminds me of a quaaint, boutique European, albeit larger, hotel that has a very small town, proprietorish feel. Tha said, the personalities of the staff are corporate, but its iowa...so everyone is nice.

The key to this place is location. It;s within a 5 minute walk of Court Avenue, which is home to a multitude of high end restaurants, diners, pizza joints, even a crab ragoon pizza!

Seriously, the rooms are nice; redecorated and comfy--but Europeanish in their quirky angles, smallish bathrooms, smallish counters, etc. So what! It's down town Des Moines. The price is reasonable, and you can walk to everything. Like I said---it's Europe!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Joe F
Lenox, Iowa
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I stay here 3 nights yearly for a business conference. Each time I have stayed my room has been different - in size, layout, and amenities such as microwave and fridge, but the bed is comfortable and has extra pillows, the shower heads are huge and the pressure is just right, and the wireless internet (no charge) is appreciated. This year I had a larger room than some years, but I am always comfortable and since it's just me, I don't need a lot of room. I also treat myself to room service breakfast so I can eat healthy and resist the not so good for you foods served at the meetings. The egg white omelet with spinach, tomatoes and feta cheese is my favorite and you can customize with other ingredients if you want. I had dinner by room service twice as well. (Be sure to check the restaurant/room service website for seasonal specials.) This year I especially noticed the hotel staff was very accommodating and helpful, from the young man who saw me struggling with my luggage and helped me down the steps from the Skywalk, to the people who delivered my room service meals. The food is wonderful - my complements to the chef. I enjoy the hot tub and use the fitness center - both are average and adequate. I missed having a refrigerator this year, but it's possible if I had asked, they might have accommodated me on that. The hotel is accessible from the Skywalk which is very convenient.

Room Tip: Since the hotel has rooms of various sizes and layouts, if space is important to you, mention that w...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
rickylgaede, General Manager at Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2011
Thanks you for your kind words. You are absolutely right about the different room types. The Savery is a historic hotel that used to be a 300 room property. It was the first hotel in Iowa to offer a private bathroom for each room. Over the years many renovation have made us the 211 room property we are today. Thanks for discovering us!