All reviews the concierge lounge rock river lobby bar is valet parking higher floor nice hotel bed was comfortable front desk staff business trip per day court avenue shuttle service the room was nice civic center enjoyed my stay staff was friendly skywalk
Reviewed 2 November 2018

Exactly what you'd expect from a upscale marriott hotel in downtown. Nice lobby space and bar - perfect for business or social drinks. friendly staff. good location in downtown des moines. pleanty of restaurants within walking distance

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2018

I've reviewed a ton of hotels over the years and have pretty thick skin. But this Marriott set a new standard in being rude.

Let's start with the factual stuff. Marriott is located in the heart of downtown and is an older property that has recently been renovated. The renovation is obvious when you walk in (for the most part). Valet parking is available at $25 a night and self-parking is around, but wasn't convenient so we chose valet. The valet was efficient and friendly, so far so good.

I'm a tall person - around 6' 11". Gives me a different perspective on hotels and life, but rarely causes a problem...until this hotel.

The ceilings in the Marriott are low in many places - again it's an older building. So around the check-in desk, elevators, hallways, and sadly really low in the bathrooms. We checked in and off to what we were told was our newly renovated room, one of the best in the hotel (said the cheerful check-in desk person).

OK, our room was far the elevator and next to the ice machine. OK, fine. I booked with reward points and I guess that is how it goes.

The room itself has been redone. The TV even has a welcome mention. Floor is not carpet, it is a high quality wood laminate vinyl. Different, but works in the smallish room.

I then walked into the bathroom - problem as I couldn't stand-up. I'd say the ceiling is around 6' 8" and in the shower more like 6' 6". It was a drop ceiling. So that was the end of it for me, and my wife and I politely went to see if we could leave the hotel and go elsewhere.

The cheerful check-in desk person was no longer as cheerful. First she checked to see if their were taller bathrooms and said she wasn't aware the ceilings were low. Then the kicker, she told my wife we would not find a hotel with a bathroom tall enough for me.

As I said, I have thick skin, but in a place like this comments like that have no place. She said she would refund our points and off we went to get our car and head off to a non-Marriott property that would accept tall people. Odd thing is every other hotel in Des Moines I have stayed at has been fine.

For the most part I have liked Marriott hotels and I'm sure this was an isolated incident. That said, no hotel should insult customers based on their physical characteristics. As I tell flight attendants, I really can't unscrew my legs.

Room tip: Stay away from elevators and ice machines, better view in higher floors
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2018

Good downtown location with a skywalk. We took the hotel shuttle to the Wells Fargo arena (no charge that day) and to the cheese bar ($5 per person). Very convenient. We walked back from Wells Fargo arena through the skywalk, a bit of a walk, but never had to go outside. Loved the large lobby where we enjoyed a drink and snack one night. Concierge was very helpful in directions, restaurant info and shuttle use. You pay to park here. Worth it to use valet over self-parking. A bit more costly but way more convenient as self-parking is a distance away. The rooms were large and modern, very nice. I would definitely stay here again.

Room tip: High floor was quiet.
Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2018

Great location, A++ service, comfortable sleep. We were greeted warmly upon our late arrival by Front Desk staff (Hung), he offered us a nice snack, thanked us for being Marriott Members and gave us some great local restaurant suggestions. Valet staff was friendly and efficient. Rooms appeared to have undergone a makeover at some point not too long ago. Overall a solid stay and would return if in the area.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2018

Staff friendly, helpful and efficient. Lobby very attractive. Room very comfortable and well-appointed. Nice view from my 17th floor location. Short walk to the Court Avenue nightlife district, or use the hotel's shuttle service.

• Trip type: Travelled solo