“Disappointed”

Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I was really looking forward to my first visit to Tursi’s Latin King. It was a beautiful building with a lot of character. If I ever go back it will be for appetizers and dessert. I had the Penne Regine. It was cooked well but had no flavor other than that of mushrooms. The sauce was brown and I did not find one piece of ham in the entire dish. The turamisu tasted unlike any that I have ever encountered and was disappointing. The biscotti in the middle was hard and lumpy and there was no taste of coffee. The cream cheese was unexpected and I found myself not eating the entire piece. This does NOT happen when I have turamiso anywhere else in the world! I guess the better reviews are from folks who have grown up think this is what Italian food is suppose to taste. The highlight was the Tartufo Ball. Delicious. The onion rings looked wonderful as they went by to other tables.

Reviewed 8 March 2018

The 'Latin King' has developed quite a following in the Des Moines area.... Alas, this could mean that there's not a great deal of 'Great Italian' places in the vicinity.
You'll receive great service, in a quaint Tuscan atmosphere, with plenty of appropriate choices.... The only thing that was (seemingly) remarkable, was the Onion Rings....Hefty portion...could have been left in fryer a tad longer... but if you're a Latin/Italian restaurant, and your 'Signature' is Onion Rings... You may have a ways to go on the other....
The 'Spiedini', on this night, was a bit gloppy, pasta was over cooked, and chicken had no appearance bread crumbs....

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

We've eaten st Latin King many times. We go there on special occasions, especially on Valentines Day. My wife always gets chicken spiedini and I get a steak. We've never had a bad meal there. We love their onion rings as well. The service is professional and prompt. The prices are appropriate for the service and quality of the meal. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

I was never overly impressed by Latin King until I started having their lasagna. Mmmmmm, lasagna. Now that’s all I ever have. Start with antipasto or fried ravioli. Then the accompanying salad with house dressing (creamy Parmesan) arrives cold and crispy.
Then, Mmmmmm, lasagna.

Reviewed 22 February 2018

The chicken marsala was just ok. We enjoyed the meatballs. I'd remembered it to be something fabulous. The place is very busy. There is plenty of parking in the lot behind the building.