“Hidden Gem- must visit in Des Moines”

Des Moines Art Center
Ranked #8 of 72 things to do in Des Moines
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This internationally acclaimed museum houses impressive works by artists of the 19th and 20th centuries, including Edward Hopper, Georgia O'Keefe and Henri Matisse. The center, which also offers art classes, consists of three buildings, each designed by a celebrated architect: Eliel Saarinen, I.M. Pei and Richard Meier.
Reviewed 7 September 2017

I'm a regular visitor and cannot say enough good things. An impressive collection housed in a gorgeous and interesting modern building. You can view the majority of the collection in a few hours. If weather allows, definitely spend some time on the grounds. Check ahead to see the special exhibits, which change regularly and are often fascinating and approachable. Also check ahead on cafe hours and options. The cafe and the adjoining courtyard are stunning. Also: FREE!

Reviewed 7 September 2017

This is an outstanding feature for the city of Des Moines. The architecture is beautiful with a variety of styles. It has the feel of a big city museum yet has an intimate layout of space and comfort. World known artist's works of various periods can be seen as well as new and modern exhibits. I frequent the gift shop which has unique items. The surrounding gardens are wooded, wonderful and relaxing. The Des Moines Art Center offers classes for beginners and advanced artisans. I took a beginners water color class and I am off and painting and plan to take more classes. The small restaurant offers a limited lunch menu overlooking a scenic water feature. The desserts are well worth a visit. The Center offers programs for the community throughout the year. The Des Moines Art Center enhances and embraces the Art of our city.

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

The buildings alone are worth the visit. Someone in Des Moines had vision.

The featured exhibition, Ruptures, is deep. I have shared my experiences in that show w my friends. It is a mind twister that keeps me pondering.

Their contemporary collection is filled with compelling work.

And, I have never before been engaged by the staff. In Each area, we were greeted and engaged. If we asked a question, it was answered. Clearly there is pride and concern for your enjoyment st Des Moines Art Center.

Make a point to visit.

Reviewed 20 August 2017

Thank god this was free. This is my personal opinion so if you're into art then maybe you'd enjoy it but i found i managed to walk through the entire place in 15 minutes. Not my type of art i guess

Reviewed 12 August 2017

This is a must-see only about 2.5 miles west of the Pappajohn Sculpture Garden downtown. It’s also free with ample free parking. It may be unique among art museums in the way it has (successfully) combined architecture by three noted architects: Eliel Saarinen designed the original 1948 building with additions by I. M. Pei (1968) and Richard Meier (1985). The interiors change dramatically as you move through the museum. There is a wide variety of challenging modern art in their significant collection. The staff, including the guards, were friendly and approachable. Be sure to walk beyond the rose garden south of the I. M. Pei addition to see Andy Goldsworthy’s “Three Cairns,” his largest work in the western hemisphere.