All reviews breakfast staff nice hotel nice size the breakfast area stayed here room was clean fest luther
Reviewed 23 April 2018

The hotel itself was amazing and new! Unfortunately the front desk staff was not very pleasant and it took over a 15 minute wait to check in with no one in front of me. The gentleman just took that long to get to the desk. I’d still recommend but hope someone else is working check in!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Charli Karen T, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Decorah, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2018

I am so sorry that you had this experience. We teach our staff to be courteous and prompt and can see we must need some more training.
Thank you for your feedback and I hope we will be given a chance to redeem ourselves!
Charli Drtina

Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

The room was clean and quiet. Slept very well. The hotel is pet friendly. Close to three waterfalls on the Iowa waterfall tour. Staff was courteous and the check-in was quick. In a good location, near some restaurants.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Very quiet, pleasant and fun atmosphere. The staff was very nice. The rooms were extra clean. Not a bad location. And the price was excellent. Also had a small area where u could purchase wine or beer or snacks.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2018

When you walk through the doors of the hotel, you know that you will enjoy your stay. The lobby was clean with seating options, computers and printers. The pool was a nice size, perfect for a late swim. The breakfast had quite a few options and was constantly restocked. The rooms were comfortable and put together nicely. We only stayed overnight in Decorah, but wouldn't mind staying at this hotel for longer.

Room Tip: Floor 4 are the "suites", meaning a pull-out couch is included.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Looks like they haven’t learned anything since they opened because I see reviews from October with some of the same issues we had. Yes, it’s a nice, new hotel but the poor customer service is not worth it. We had the following problems with this hotel:
1. I called to make reservations and they booked me for the wrong day! She only realized after I asked to confirm everything at the end of the phone call. When she realized her mistake she got really flustered because the price she has quoted me was much less. She didn’t know what to do so she put me on hold so she could talk to someone else. I was on hold for 30 MINUTES before she found someone to talk to about the issue. She told me the lady was really mad at her for making that mistake. Then I got to talk to the “mad lady” who said they would not honor the price I was quoted because they “caught the mistake right away”. The second lady was very condescending & unapologetic. She said the best she could do was offer me a discount from the regular rate. I would have just canceled my reservation at that point but we wanted to stay with the other dancers from the dance competition. See below that they did not know anything about the discount at checkout.
2. Upon check in, the guy at the front desk was very scattered & got confused multiple times. He said my room was 152 & my parents room was 320. I asked why they wouldn’t be together since I booked both the rooms at the same time. He gave no explanation or no apology but just said, “there is nothing we can do, we aren’t switching rooms around”. We checked in at 5 pm & I know for a fact that multiple others had not checked in. He could have at least taken a look to see what he could do to get us a little closer! Even an apology would have helped!! Then, he shouted at us as we were waking away, “wait, we don’t even have a room 152”. He says, oops, I wrote down the wrong number, you are in room 302 which at least was on the same floor as my parents but no where near their room.
3. One of the other mom’s was talking to the other desk attendant and she was very upset. The desk lady was being very rude & unapologetic to her. I later found out that she had 3 children plus herself so booked 2 beds. They gave her a room with 1 bed. They did not apologize & said there was nothing they could do. Again, it was early, 5 pm — certainly they could have at least tried!! Apparently she also paid a higher rate for a certain room that she didn’t get & they refused to give her the lower rate! They also told her that she was lucky to have a room because everything in town is booked up! She had to buy an air mattress to accommodate everyone! Unacceptable!
4. We came to breakfast at 8am& they were out of everything & there was no place to sit! I said to my dad, “oh, there is no fruit”. The lady overheard me & quipped, “it is really busy & we are doing the best we can!” No apology, no politeness. We observed them working & they really weren’t trying that hard & things were not getting replaced. There was not even milk for cereal. My dad had been down there for 30 minutes & several things not been replaced even in that amount of time. My friend said they went to breakfast at 9:15 & asked for oatmeal & they wouldn’t replenish it because it was too close to breakfast ending time (9:30). The next day, oatmeal was out by 9 & they didn’t replace. If you have breakfast until 9:30 then you should have things available until that time. Also, you should have coffee out early. My dad came down at 6 am & no coffee. Also, it shouldn’t be a surprise that it is going to be busy. You know how many people are staying there.
5. We requested a late check out the night before which they approved until noon. In the morning, they called to ask if we knows check out was at 11??
6. Upon checkout, they had no idea about the discount promised to us even though the check in guy commented on it. Luckily, this lady was very nice, apologetic & honored the discount based on my word.
7. The pool is VERY small. There were so many kids & they could hardly move in there!
8. No hot tub.
9. Beds are way too hard & uncomfortable. I Looks like they haven’t learned anything. I wasn’t the only one that though so.
9. Loud fan in room.
10. Poor insulation — could hear those above us.
11. Food & drinks in the fridge froze solid.

Very nice, new hotel w large bathrooms. Nice fitness center. Not worth it for the customer service though.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family