All reviews extended stay separate bedrooms computer station room was clean front desk quiet location stainless steel appliances one night timely manner large refrigerator home away from home very comfortable stay texas roadhouse smoke detector the breakfast area average hotel iowa city
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

We were able to get a fantastic price by booking a non refundable room. I was a little skeptical about quality of hotel at the price we got it for, but was very pleasantly surprised. The hotel is very clean and we had a handicapped room for some reason. (Perhaps all that was left at great price we got). The room was very large and had a full kitchen, including large fridge and a small stove, dinnerware/pots. Not needed for our overnight stay, but could be useful for a longer stay. Very clean room(trust me, I am very particular!!), large bathroom (again, handicapped accessible, so not sure comparison to a regular room). Only minor complaint was that I could not get any warm water at all out of bathroom sink. We did not stay for breakfast, but it looked nice, it is in a separate room off of the lobby. Easy check in and friendly staff, who informed me I would get "points" for my Choice Hotels rewards. Would definitely stay here again!!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer K
Jordan L, General Manager at Mainstay Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Hello Jennifer,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay! We're glad to see that you were comfortable during your time here and felt it was of great value. We'll have to look into why the room was struggling to receive hot water in the bathroom and I apologize you had to deal with that.

Please keep us in mind the next time you're in town as we'd love to see you again!

Thanks.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

This place did it for me. With a young, enthusiastic manager and team to boot, they know how to make their guests feel welcome. I found it to be clean, quaint, and a good find Near a park/trail if you want to take a nice walk. I drove into Iowa City, which is about 12 minutes away !

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Jay W
Jordan L, General Manager at Mainstay Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2017

Jay,

We want to thank you for the kinds words and for taking the time to leave us a review! It is always a pleasure to see the hard work of our staff acknowledged and it is very important that each guest feels engaged and comfortable in their time staying here.

If you're ever in the Iowa City/Coralville area again, we hope to see you!

Thanks again.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Plenty of space to make you feel more at home. The manager's reception in the evening is nice with food and beverages. A great chance to relax at the end of the day. The staff is very welcoming. A good value for the price.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Jordan L, General Manager at Mainstay Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Hello,

We're very happy to hear that you had a great experience with us and that you enjoyed our manager's reception on Wednesday night! We work hard to provide each guest with a welcoming environment and a comfortable stay, so it is good to know that you felt it was a great value for the rates we offer here.

If there is anything you feel we could improve about our service or our hotel to earn your perfect score, consider letting us know!

Thanks again for the review and we'll see you the next time you're in town!

Reviewed 23 August 2017

I was hesitant to book a room that looked like an "extended stay" however I was very pleasantly surprised! The small kitchen was stocked with everything you need for cooking and eating (pots, pans, dishes). The room was clean and the bed was comfy.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Jordan L, General Manager at Mainstay Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2017

Hello Jen,

Thank you for leaving us a review of your time here! We're very happy to hear that you were willing to give us a shot and were not scared off by our status as an extended stay for your short stay. The staff here works very hard to put our guests' comfort first and to make everyone's time here enjoyable.

The next time you're in our part of Iowa, we hope to see you again, whether it is for the night or for the week!

Thanks again.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

We were on a cross country trip and just needed a room, late at night, to sleep and get on the road again in the morning.

We checked the ratings on TripAdvisor and felt this would be an affordable and acceptable stop.

Before I start my complaint, let me say the front desk person was very nice and professional. Also, the front desk area is very pleasing, updated and clean. Being a grandpa, I saw they had an actual highchair, with tray in the breakfast area. I thought this was nice. But that is where this ends.

Our first room, on the ground floor was right across from the breakfast area. When we entered, it had a weird smell, almost like bug spray. My wife and I decided to check for bugs. When we pulled down the sheets it wasn't bugs, but very filthy (Large stains from who knows what) covered most of the top half of the mattress. The mattress pad had the corners tore out, and was dirty too.There was no way we were going to sleep on it.

The front desk moved us to another room. While the beds were clean, the room wasn't. Whoever had occupied earlier apparently loved to fry food. But nothing had been cleaned from the grease. Even when we walked into the bathroom, your feet slid on the floor from the grease. Across from the toilet, there was stains on the wall like somebody just threw their clothes there while waiting to clean them. However, housekeeping had not wiped the wall.

By this time, we told the front desk we just wanted to go someplace else. He was accommodating and they did refund our cost.

I don't know why the ratings were so good on Trip Advisor. Since we checked in so late, were these rooms that had not been remodeled? I don't know. But if staying here, check the beds. Make sure you get a clean one.

I wish we would have taken photos of that first bed.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Jordan L, General Manager at Mainstay Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

Hello,

I appreciate the detailed review you've left and I want to apologize for how poorly things went for the both of you. Our hotel has the review scores that we do because events like this are not common and not a systemic issue across the hotel.

This, however, means that a great amount of attention is taken when a guest has a problem like you've reported. We will be looking into how this was able to happen and taking corrective action immediately. I'm pleased to hear that you were able to come to a resolution with the front desk staff and your interaction with them was positive.

If you're ever in the area and would like to give us another try, feel free to call directly and ask for a manager; we will make it right twice over, beyond just refunding the attempted stay. Once again, I apologize for how this went and we hope to see you in the future and show you why we're scored at the level we are!

Thank you.