“YES TO THE FRIED CHICKEN!”
Review of Vivian's Soul Food

Vivian's Soul Food
Ranked #86 of 450 Restaurants in Cedar Rapids
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Sad to report a less than stellar experience! It takes awhile, and as we were pressed for time we tried to call our dine in order ahead of our arrival. Told “we don’t do that anymore bc people get mad when they’ve been here and someone else gets their food faster” Sorry, duh, it should be like when you call ahead to get on the seating list at Texas Road House, etc. Ordered a side of corn, expected the same ‘on the cob’ as last time, received a bowl of Cajun Corn, nasty. Ordered rice and gravy, then pointed out to male server that the board showed it was not an available side that day. He said “We have rice and we have gravy, heh heh” and received bowl of instant white rice with bland mashed potato gravy on it. ICK! Traded it for equally bland side of dressing. Had to ask for butter for corn muffins, tarter sauce (VERY good) and lemon for catfish, it was not offered, and again, they had no sweet potato pie. We liked our catfish and will continue to try other entrée’s. 1st time diner inhaled her chicken, “This is the best I’ve ever had, how do they do this?” and she did not have post pot munchies. She knows I wasn’t kidding when I said it was not comparable to Popeyes! Only open since July of 17, hope they grow, expand, and get experienced wait staff!

Reviewed 28 February 2018

Fried Chicken, Mac & Cheese, and Collard Greens. This is my standard order every time I go. I can't bear to change because it is SO delicious. It's a small restaurant with minimal seating, but we've never had a problem getting a table. Food is made fresh to order so you will wait a short while, but it is WORTH it!

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

I've been to Vivian's a few times now and have tried about everything in the menu. The meals generally run from $11-$13. The portion sizes are generous and I feel the price is a bargain. The meals come with a meat selection, two sides and cornbread.
I can't say enough about how much I enjoy the catfish, fried chicken, beef short ribs and oxtails. The sides they offer are equally amazing. From the collard greens, mac n' cheese, dressing to the cornbread they are so good you'll crave them. Only item on the menu I wasn't impressed by and would qualify as okay is the red beans and rice.
You won't be dissapointed when you stop in and tried this great addition to Cedar Rapids. Truly bring soul to C.R..

Reviewed 28 January 2018

Absolutely stunning.

Super friendly staff complimented by some of the best food in the area. Vivian's knows who they are and what they do well. It takes confidence to offer on average 4 entrees a day and a handful of side dishes. To pull off a menu like this, each and every dish needs to be PERFECT. Even slight flaws would be magnified by the limited choices.

But that isn't a concern here, because as I said -- these people know what good food is and they do it to perfection. Everything just tastes.... REAL. It's comfort home cooking at it's best and I hope more people start heading out this way because Vivian's deserves every single customer that walks through the door.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

A friend and I were looking for a unique and quiet place to eat in Cedar Rapids while I was visiting to attend the opera Turandot. Googling 5 star restaurants brought Vivian's up in my feed, so I called to make sure it was truly open and to check on seating availability. Luckily, we took a chance and were so pleasantly surprised!
I do want to note that it is not at all what we expected.
The ambiance is not what we expected (more like a "Subway" shop but no booths) with bright fluorescent lighting, but the GREAT food and service made that unimportant.
You will not regret dining at Vivian's!! Tell all your friends! I want to go back soon!