“Fifties feel ”
Review of Pappy's Sweet Shop

Pappy's Sweet Shop
Ranked #24 of 143 Restaurants in West Lafayette
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Pappy's has a light fifties feel - bar stools and booths. I appreciated that it was open on the late side. The line was fairly long and food doesn't come on a fast food tempo- so allow for that.

I enjoyed my takeaway special burger.

Reviewed 28 February 2018

Convenient and good service -- food not bad diner fare: we had chicken strips and chili dog and ice cream cones.

Reviewed 10 February 2018

My event is held in the Purdue Memorial Union, and I stay in the Union Club. As a Purdue alumnus the Sweet Shop brings back very fond memories.

Reviewed 17 December 2017

We’ve known of Pappy’s (or the Purdue Sweet Shop) in its various forms for decades but have only eaten there a few times. This time we arrived about 11:45 on a Friday just ahead of the lunch crowd. The young woman who took our order at the register was friendly and efficient, and we had a short wait to get our order. I had the Pappy’s cheeseburger combo, my wife had the chicken sandwich ($4.90). Mine was served in a paper basket with a paper cup and hers on a paper plate ... so the 50s diner theme ends at the decor, which includes (inactive) tabletop jukeboxes. There’s a good attempt at authenticity, but the proof is in the product and our meal was no better (and a worse value) than many fast food restaurants. The $4.70 burger didn’t appear to be “hand-spanked” and the bun fell apart. The chicken was nothing special (a bit small) and the fries were a bit limp and only warm. $12.50 seems a bit high for what we got. Still, if tradition is your thing, go for the experience of a Purdue tradition.

Reviewed 29 November 2017

Pappy's Sweet Shop is a long-standing traditional dining venue in the Purdue Memorial Union. If you haven't been there is decades, you may be disappointed to find that the old dark booths are now gone and Pappy's now looks like a 1950s soda shoppe. There is still one room with the old booths. The menu is what you would expect from a 50s diner and is much the same from when I was a student with some menu changes to keep pace with different tastes. This is a must-visit if you are visiting the campus and Memorial Union.