“Perfect Evening”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lafayette Street
Transit: V Line Downtown Valparaiso
Description: Located in historic downtown Valparaiso, Bistro 157 serves an internationally influenced eclectic menu in an upscale, but casually "hip" ambiance. Chef Nicole trained in France 5 years and brings to your table gourmet cuisine paired with wines from a Wine Spectator Award Winning list.
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Went to Bistro 157 for my birthday dinner. I have to say, it's been a long time since I've been to a restaurant this good. The bread and butter/garlic was very tasty. Extensive wine list, with reasonably priced beers. I started with the Caesar salad (no anchovies), and I have to say...the croutons sold it for me (absolutely amazing!!). The main course was the strip steak with red potatoes and grilled peppers/veges. Steak was ordered medium and it came out exactly that. The seasoning was done perfectly and the steak was very juicy. The potatoes were soft but firm. Easy enough to slice with a fork, don't fall apart, and melt in your mouth. I can't place the seasoning on the veges but I couldn't stop eating them (my fiance enjoyed eating those as well). She got the cracker crusted white fish (I think it was a special), which was also delicious! For dessert I got the cheesecake, which I've never seen or tasted it's equal. Great presentation and soooo creamy. They even put a candle on it for me. :) The chef came out and spoke with us a minute or two which I've never experienced. Said she has been working 16 hour days!!! You can tell she puts love into her food, which is so rare in restaurants today. Service was European-like, enough time in between plates for resting/talking. Don't expect this to be a quick bite to eat. Expect to sit for 2 hours and enjoy the company your in, because I know you'll enjoy the food!

1  Thank Rob R

Reviewed 19 July 2013

A Thursday night trip to downtown Valparaiso brought us to Bistro 157. Around 5pm, it is nearly vacant but it picks up and fills up around 6:15. The waiter was very good and super attentive. I had the white fish and wife had the duck. Both were good and filling. for $7 per glass, they give you a great pour of 7-8 oz. Bartender made a great Cosmo and fancies himself an artist of the cocktail. The House Salad is quite tasty for $5. Cannot think of many negatives. When we arrived with nobody else in the place, the busboy asked, "do you have a reservation". funny

Reviewed 13 July 2013

We picked this restaurant because we wanted to sit outside on a beautiful day. My husband had the braised beef sandwich. It came with a horseradish dip that he really liked. I ordered the 3 course lunch special which included French onion soup, angel hair pasta with chicken and 3 small dessert samples. The portions were large enough to take some home. It was a little pricey for everyday lunch and the service was slow but the food was very good and we were not in a hurry. We enjoyed it enough that we will be back for dinner. There is not a lot of seating so reservations would probably be needed.

Reviewed 7 March 2013

A little pricey, a little stark, this restaurant does not have any ambiance. The chairs were not comfortable and the lighting was to high.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

The sushi appetizer is top rate when available! Their specialty is their version of Schnitzel. As often as I go there, I still keep ordering it. It is that good even with all the other offerings!