“Nice Time”
Review of Pikk's Tavern

Pikk's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Pikk's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 174 Restaurants in Valparaiso
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 24 December 2017

I've read the other recent reviews and I have to say that it appears we had a much better meal and service. 6 of us for a work dinner. Had appetizers, wine and meal. We had a good time, had steaks, salads, specials etc. Everything was good. This was in early December on a Tuesday night so they were not crowded. It does seem that no matter what restaurant I go to these days they want you to order your meal when you order your appetizers and I've learned not too. So we order appetizers, eat them and then order our meal -- otherwise everything comes out at once. Bartender was also our waiter and he was a big help with the beers and giving advice. I would go back.

Reviewed 16 December 2017 via mobile

Wow where do I start...we had reservations at 6:30 for 6 people and arrived at 6:15. We stood at the entrance for at least 5 minutes and no one greeted us. Finally I flagged down a waitress when I realized no one had any interest in acknowledging us and the host brought us to our table where the other couple was already seated. The waitress greeted us and got our drink order while we waited for the other couple to arrive. We had appetizers that came out in a reasonable time and our drinks were to us in a timely manner. We ordered dinner and waited and waited and waited after asking when we might be served she stated 4 minutes. Then 2 orders came out, then a couple minutes later 2 more than finally the last 2 came out. When I received my filet steak it was a burnt hockey puck, the pieces that I did attempt to eat were gristly. We got ahold of the waitress and she told me that’s how “no pink” come out. I’ve had a hundred steaks prepared the way I asked it to be prepared and they have never come out the way this one did. She left and came back to state that the manager won’t let her take it off the bill but he’d be happy to have them make me a new one. Well since it took an hour plus to receive the first one we didn’t have time for them to make me a new one.
My husbands ribeye was awful and charred on the outside. The salmon dish that one of the girls ordered was so fishy it wasn’t even edible and the brown rice had zero flavor and was extremely dry, she didn’t eat but 2 bites of each and asked for a to go box. The waitress asked if we would like desert we declined. She says the cake is delicious and she’ll go ask her manager if he will give us a piece of red velvet cake for our troubles. She says he’ll allow it but we ask that it be wrapped to go along with the salmon dish. We get the bag of food and they have wrapped the salmon up but disposed of the rice!
She apologizes for our trouble and at 9pm we finally leave, we will NEVER step foot back into your facility!!

Reviewed 16 December 2017

I chose this restaurant for a holiday party for my staff. There was 6 of us. The place looked really cool and they touted a 40’s style atmosphere steakhouse. I liked that. It was easy to make a reservation and the atmosphere was nice. Kind of laid back,brick walls,seating in the basement. Sort of a speakeasy like place. So far so good. We got water immediately and the server brought our drinks right away. THEN the tables started filling up. Drinks took longer,had to ask for bread several times. You get 1 piece per person. We all ordered. 4 steaks rigatoni and salmon. 1 1/2 hour later I had to ask where our food was. They had a party and just finished cooking their food. Hmm ok. She said another 4 minutes. Ok. Still couldn’t get bread. After another 5 minutes here comes the food. 2 plates. Then another five minutes 2 more plates. Then 5 more minutes 1 plate. Finally after another 5 minutes we all have our food. One of my guests ordered steak. She wanted no pink so the waitress told her to order well done. Well it was black and hard. I told the waitress but she said it would take time to order another. It’s been over an hour and a half. My guest said no. Forget it. The waitress came back And said the manager will take steak off however we can make a new one for you. Oh everyone was already almost done with dinner, so what’s the point. No mind you we never asked for the steak to be taken off. However it would’ve been nice seeing that it was the weather in that stic and said the manager will take steak off however we can make a new one for you. Oh everyone was already almost done with dinner, so what’s the point. No mind you we never asked for the state to be taken off. However it would’ve been nice seeing that it was leather and not steak. I ordered salmon and brown rice and there was no taste. The salmon was cooked but very fishy and extremely small and the brown rice well it was like eating sawdust. The rigatoni was good though. Oh and they did throw in a piece of red velvet cake. For free.

All in all, this place was disappointing. I expected so much more. If you tout yourself as a 40’s style steak house, you need to know how to cook steak. Also, if you are having a huge party, then you need to have servers dedicated to just that one party and not switching from the dining room to the party. When you spread yourself so thin you’re not gonna be good anywhere And the kitchen also should be more organized to do the party and serve guests.

Bottom line, poor service lackluster food not that great. Very disappointing

Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

Had the pleasure of staying in one of two rooms above restaurant. Dinner was great the roasted chicken Devine, wine selection great. I️ would hv loved to spend a second night in the quaint room above the restaurant .

Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

We were seated very quick and waited on quickly too. The selection on the night we were there was Italian. We ordered chicken parmigiana and a tavern burger everything came to the table quick and was prepared well. The pasta sauce was a bit spicy and it was fixed with a replacement of a mac and cheese side that was very good. The tavern burger was cooked as requested and with everything on it as requested. Service was above average and on the spot. I recommend giving it a try.