“Never Again”
Review of Pikk's Tavern

Pikk's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Pikk's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 171 Restaurants in Valparaiso
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 16 December 2017

I chose this restaurant for a holiday party for my staff. There was 6 of us. The place looked really cool and they touted a 40’s style atmosphere steakhouse. I liked that. It was easy to make a reservation and the atmosphere was nice. Kind of laid back,brick walls,seating in the basement. Sort of a speakeasy like place. So far so good. We got water immediately and the server brought our drinks right away. THEN the tables started filling up. Drinks took longer,had to ask for bread several times. You get 1 piece per person. We all ordered. 4 steaks rigatoni and salmon. 1 1/2 hour later I had to ask where our food was. They had a party and just finished cooking their food. Hmm ok. She said another 4 minutes. Ok. Still couldn’t get bread. After another 5 minutes here comes the food. 2 plates. Then another five minutes 2 more plates. Then 5 more minutes 1 plate. Finally after another 5 minutes we all have our food. One of my guests ordered steak. She wanted no pink so the waitress told her to order well done. Well it was black and hard. I told the waitress but she said it would take time to order another. It’s been over an hour and a half. My guest said no. Forget it. The waitress came back And said the manager will take steak off however we can make a new one for you. Oh everyone was already almost done with dinner, so what’s the point. No mind you we never asked for the steak to be taken off. However it would’ve been nice seeing that it was the weather in that stic and said the manager will take steak off however we can make a new one for you. Oh everyone was already almost done with dinner, so what’s the point. No mind you we never asked for the state to be taken off. However it would’ve been nice seeing that it was leather and not steak. I ordered salmon and brown rice and there was no taste. The salmon was cooked but very fishy and extremely small and the brown rice well it was like eating sawdust. The rigatoni was good though. Oh and they did throw in a piece of red velvet cake. For free.

All in all, this place was disappointing. I expected so much more. If you tout yourself as a 40’s style steak house, you need to know how to cook steak. Also, if you are having a huge party, then you need to have servers dedicated to just that one party and not switching from the dining room to the party. When you spread yourself so thin you’re not gonna be good anywhere And the kitchen also should be more organized to do the party and serve guests.

Bottom line, poor service lackluster food not that great. Very disappointing

Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

Had the pleasure of staying in one of two rooms above restaurant. Dinner was great the roasted chicken Devine, wine selection great. I️ would hv loved to spend a second night in the quaint room above the restaurant .

Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

We were seated very quick and waited on quickly too. The selection on the night we were there was Italian. We ordered chicken parmigiana and a tavern burger everything came to the table quick and was prepared well. The pasta sauce was a bit spicy and it was fixed with a replacement of a mac and cheese side that was very good. The tavern burger was cooked as requested and with everything on it as requested. Service was above average and on the spot. I recommend giving it a try.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

We really like the 1st few times we visited about a year ago. Nice outdoor seating. But the last 2 times have been an overall disappointment, with both food and service. Won't be back. There's just too many better choices in Valpo

Reviewed 12 October 2017

My husband and I had a very nice dinner here. The waiter was great, the atmosphere was lovely, and we totally enjoyed the food. We will definitely be back again!