Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Helen D
South Australia

BEWARE - A TOTAL SCAM

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 5 Jan 2021
KIHR is very unprofessional, extremely over priced, ego driven and outdated
This is a one man show, And the ring leader is Sue McCarthy.
There is absolutely NO Duty of Care by Sue for her clients well being.
Her guided walks are 10km laps and laps of the hamlet of Emu Bay, and swims are a 10 minute dip in the ocean.
The yoga is NOT yoga.
She is foul mouthed and an egotistical bully.
I was SO disappointed in my week at KIHR I left after 4 days. Fortunately Sue offered me a full refund which I gratefully accepted.
The only thing KIHR invests in is it's website. Don't waste your time and money here.
Date of stay: January 2021
Trip type: Travelled solo
Responded 6 Jan 2021
Hi Helen, sorry to hear the experience did not meet your expectations.

We agree, our program isn't for everyone. We use 'constructive discomfort' to focus on results like weight loss, challenging bad habits and improving mindset.

Our website offers detailed information, and we also encourage clients to ask questions, so you can assess the suitability (and desirability) of our program before your arrival.

I can't comment on your opinion of the yoga or Sue's personality, except to say she is open to adapting the exercise component to suit your needs. And many clients love Sue's direct style of communication.

Kangaroo Island Health Retreat has been running for over 20 years helping clients achieve better health outcomes.

Thank you for mentioning that we offered a full refund for your dissatisfaction. We hope you got something out of your time here, however small. We wish you all the best with your health journey.
  • ZenHotels.com
AU$180
  • Algotels
40.4 km from Kangaroo Island Health Retreat
View more hotels in Emu Bay
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 March 2020

I loved the walks and had a great group for the week however in terms of any TLC this is not the retreat you need. I was more interested in time out than weight lose and whilst I did loose weight I starved for the week. The rooms are basic and the 'massage room' contains worn out massage beds and foot massages that are very old and reminded me of being at an airport. The food lessons also seemed outdated. Emu Bay is beautiful and again the group I was with were awesome but I felt Sue's discussions around how much she charges made me feel it was all a money making exercise and no true care for the individual attending. I hope this review isn't deleted as I was told that’s what happens to the negative reviews. If you want a tough detox without the trimmings than I can recommend it but it wasn't for me.

Date of stay: July 2019
3  Thank FinExplore
Shelley Cardwell, Guest Services / Front Office at Kangaroo Island Health Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2020

Hi Finola, thanks for your feedback. We agree, our program isn't for everyone. We are a holistic health bootcamp focused on results and changing, or at least, challenging bad habits. We are definitely not a spa resort.

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed the group environment. Working as a group is an important part of the program, to help participants withstand and overcome the uncomfortable side effects of detoxing.

Our website offers detailed information on the Accommodation and A Typical Day at the Retreat with video footage and sample daily schedule, so that potential clients can assess the suitability and desirability of our program. If you feel we are missing or lacking information on our website in any way, please let us know at vitality@kihealthretreat.com

Finally, please note, it's not possible for us to remove negative reviews. Our customers have a right to review us honestly, as you have done. Thanks again.

Reviewed 16 March 2019 via mobile

My husband is a personal trainer and had always wanted to do a health retreat holiday so I booked the Dynamic Detox couples retreat for him and I to come in March.

I did a lot of research into many health retreats and KIHR was the only one that truly stood out as a detox and a more immersive experience than simply getting massages.

I am so glad that we choose this retreat. We left quite a few kilos and centimetres lighter but our stress levels have been obliterated and we are now ready to take on anything life throws at us!

The program is tough (which is what we wanted) and this is only when you make a change. This retreat is not a holiday but a lifestyle change, if that is what you are looking for.

The scenery is brilliant but what you really get for your money is Sue and her knowledge. What an inspiring woman! The amount of herself that she gives to her clients is unbelievable and we couldn’t believe the energy and vigour that she has; clearly a testiment to her lifestyle and what she teaches!

I am so glad we did this, the experience was amazing, Sue was brilliant and the retreat itself of beautiful- waking up each day to the sunrise over the bay and Sue’s beautiful garden was inspiring.

I would recommend March as a perfect time to go as it is still lovely and warm for the sea swims!

Thank you so so much Sue for everything, from Matt and I! Hope to see you again!

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank ecb539
Reviewed 24 December 2016

When you book to stay at KI Health Retreat, you're not just paying for a room with a view (and a beautiful one at that). You're investing in just 5 short days with Sue McCarthy that will change your life.

I thought I was healthy..... I'm active and eat an organic wholefoods diet.... however I was burnt out, overweight and generally unhappy within myself.

Five days absorbing Sue's life experience and knowledge, and trusting in her detox process, has flipped my health and my thinking.

I checked out a different person.

Sure I was 3 kilos lighter and 32 cms smaller, but my mindset is back to positive and I honestly believe that I can achieve anything.

Sue is a straight-talking, no BS kind of woman and will honestly tell you what you need to do to turn your health, and your life, around. If you want to live a long, healthy life full of vitality, do yourself a favour and place yourself in Sue's hands. You won't regret it!

Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Laura T
Reviewed 20 December 2016

Many things not as advertised on the website. I recommend asking her lots of questions beforehand if you have particular needs - however if my experience is typical, be warned that assurances given didn't translate into being appropriately accommodated at the retreat. I'm not sure why so many people rave about it. There were some good things of course but not for the premium price you pay. The retreat is only geared towards particular types of people/customers. In hindsight on Day 1 I should have asked to be taken back to the airport - each day I made the wrong assumption that it would get better.
Regarding rooms and facilities - quite basic. Cold in winter (though exposure to cold is part of the program).

Room tip: Double room has ensuite. Other rooms have private bathrooms on the other side of the hall. Depends how close you want your facilities.
Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank ChicaSmile
Shelley C, Guest Relations Manager at Kangaroo Island Health Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2016

Hi, sorry to hear your stay at KIHR was not what you expected. We do try to comprehensively describe the retreat on our website, including a typical day's activities, accommodation, facilities and other guest reviews. However, it is always a unique experience as the detox itself can be quite challenging and different for each guest. The pricing is all-inclusive for 5 nights and days on the island, return flights from Adelaide, all detox meals and program facilitation, so you can focus solely on your health as soon as you arrive. If there's something specific on our website that you think needs addressing, please send an email to vitality@kihealthretreat.com

Warm regards
Kangaroo Island Health Retreat

Reviewed 13 January 2016

This is a life-changing experience!! If you really want to change your life, break old habits, and learn about health and nutrition, then Kangaroo Island Health Retreat is the place to go. This is my second visit to KI Health Retreat. I did a Mini-Detox in October and I loved it so much, and found it so beneficial, that I bought my partner back to do the Dynamic Couple Full-Detox at the end of December. I am already planning my next trip! Sue facilitates the whole week, and is with you every step of the way. During your time there, Sue teaches about exercise, nutrition, how the body functions, and much, much more! She is an amazing woman, with so much knowledge and experience that she is more than happy to share. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! A++++

Date of stay: January 2016