“Low key tour with fun guide.”

South Bend Chocolate Factory and Museum Tours
Ranked #2 of 3 Tours in South Bend
Reviewed 28 October 2017

Stopped by here on a whim for a tour. The tours run on the hour- so we had a wait a bit. It was a pretty short tour- informative- but most of all- fun because our of tour guide Paul. He was able to take some pretty dry information and make it entertaining. Thank you Paul. Also- the chocolate is good.

1  Thank greattravelswanted
"shipping"
"bend"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 11 October 2017

This store is really cute. It is divided up over 3 store fronts. There is the cafe where you can get food. The chocolate counter, the reason I go in! Then you can get fresh soft pretzels and candies of all kinds. The decor is really fun and cute.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

I hardly know where to start. We called ahead (on a Saturday) and were told the production would be running that day. We decided on the longer, paid, tour, for which we were charged $5, rather than the $4 listed on their website. The first part of tour is the free portion. Contrary to what we were told, they were not running production after all. The factory was small and not particularly well-maintained or clean. From the beginning, our guide was incredibly snarky and sarcastic and overall disrespectful about the company. By five minutes into the tour, I was wondering why he even worked there. At one point, he complained about his co-workers to me. At another point, he told us that as part of his job, he had to show us the book that the company owner wrote. Even ignoring for a moment that we were on a tour of a chocolate factory and weren't interested in a sales pitch about a children's book, this experience was worsened because all the guide did as he leafed through the book was to tell us about all of the problems with the book. We received one sample chocolate on this free portion.

The free portion of our tour lasted about 15 minutes, after which we began our paid portion. The paid portion consisted of us dipping a plastic spoon into melted chocolate, setting it aside to let it set up, and being led to their chocolate museum (which is attached to the chocolate shop and you can walk through for free anyway). Our guide stopped us in front of one display and talked about Aztecs and chocolate for 2 minutes. Then we walked back to collect our chocolate spoons and told that our "golden tickets" were valid for a whopping 10% off of our purchase the day of our tour only. That was the end of the tour. Our entire tour, free and paid portions combined, lasted less than 30 minutes.

All told, we spent $10 for the two of us to take this very uninformative and uncomfortable 5-minute tour, and for that we each received a chocolate spoon and a golden paper ticket. I certainly don't recommend the in-depth tour, but we really didn't even feel that the free tour would be worth the effort.

If you want a chocolate tour that's worth your time, drive to Fort Wayne and tour DeBrands, where your $5 fee will get you several samples, a very nicely done tour in a beautiful and clean facility, and $5 off your purchase. But by all means, stay away from South Bend.

Reviewed 25 August 2017

It is fun to just walk around the shop but hard to leave without purchasing any! I purchased many different kind of small gift size of milk balls that was very reasonable and also delicious!

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 August 2017

My son and I took the free 20 minute tour. It was interesting to see how they make the chocolate, how they package it, etc.

I do NOT recommend the $5.00 tour. It is about 15 minutes longer and all they do is let you dip a spoon into chocolate (not really necessary beacase they give you a free piece on the free tour anyway) and they walk you through the museum lickety split. I walked through the museum on my own for free and was able to take my time.

Also, our tour guide was not overly personable, she spoke her rehearsed speech while looking PAST her group and out the window for the first 5 minutes and she RACED through the information on how they even get chocolate/cocoa beans before it makes candy. Thankfully, I had arrived a few minutes in advance and had read some of the information on the wall.