“Clean and Spacious!”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Portage
Reviewed 30 March 2009

I stayed at the Portage Comfort Inn before driving into Chicago for the weekend. The hotel is in a great location, accessible from the Indiana Toll Road. It is a great hotel without the big city price. I was a little hesitant in staying here because of the prior reviews, but I had an excellent stay! My room, a 2nd floor, non-smoking, double queen, was extremely clean and spacious; and I have the pictures to prove it! The staff I encountered were alright, accommodating, but nothing spectacular. The only minor problem was the door to the room; it was very sticky and took a lot of muscle to open and shut. The wireless internet worked great, as it helped my plan the rest of my weekend. There was a mini-fridge and microwave provided. The breakfast was tasty. I would definitely stay here again. Stay here! It is a great little hotel! One recommendation: If you have some spare time. visit the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore! It is only a few miles from the hotel. The park consists of sand dunes, swimming, and sightseeing. You will experience breathtaking views across Lake Michigan. You can see Chicago on a clear day. Located at N. County Line Rd and US Highway 12. (Free) I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hippo5

Reviewed 5 February 2009

We were returning from the U.P. in northern Michigan and after 400 miles decided to stay here. It looked OK in the lobby and outside BUT the room was something else
1st my husband smokes so we try to use smoking rooms and we stay in 30+ hotels/motels a year THIS one was awful. It stunk to high heaven.The ceiling was all water/rain stained,the chair had burn holes in it,the bedspread was stained and had at least 2 burn holes I saw,the bath mat was frayed all the way around,the mirror was dirty and spotted Before we used it,the sink had hair(again not ours)in it and was Very slow to drain,The lamp shades were also stained from ????,the back of the bathroom door was a mess. We were exhausted and went to bed after removing said bedspread, we told the checkout girl and she could of cared less did not even blink.asked to see the manager who at 8:30 still was not there. This hotel has a 100% guarantee but for what I do not know. What a mess outside in the morning right outside the lobby doors.DO NOT STAY HERE AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank bevColdwater
Reviewed 7 August 2008

To be fair, it's not a terrible motel. Convenient to highway, comfortable beds, good amenities, working free Wi-Fi, adequate breakfast. But we were promised a non-smoking room when we reserved and at check-in, then put in a smoking room that reeked of smoke and left us and our clothes smelling of it for the rest of our trip. We were told there were no other rooms available. We opened a window to be able to breathe, and were deafened by loud truck engines and horns at 5:00 am.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank rtobinma
Reviewed 18 July 2008

This has to be the worst hotel my husband and I EVER stayed in. We were driving cross country and arrived very late. We both were looking to get settled in, and looking forward to relaxing. Upon entering the room, the first thing I noticed was the carpet bubbling up from the floor and a stench permeating the room. I believe the carpet had severe water damage - there were stains all over the carpet and what appeared to be a thick layer of dirt. I next noticed the chair in the room which also was stained. I tried to put it out of my mind as my husband went to get out luggage, but after taking a look at the bathroom and saw paint falling down from the ceiling I decided to take a look at the sheets - I have heard about hotels often having bedbugs and this hotel screamed bedbug city. When I went to check out the sheets not only did I see bugs, but what really disturbed me was the hair all over our sheets and pillows - everywhere! I then went to the bathroom to check the towels - they also had hair all over them. At this point we were so disgusted we had the manager come and change the sheets - which she did kindly do so - but at this point I started to worry that we were going to leave this place with bedbugs, and we decided to get out of there. As we were leaving another young couple was also fleeing the hotel for the same reason - with a young child they did not feel comfortable staying in such diplorable conditions! I have stayed in many Comfort Inn's and have never in my life seen one like this - this was the Bates motel!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jillian123
Reviewed 14 July 2008

This review replaces the one I posted on May 12th, 2007.

My wife, our Scottish Terrier, and I stayed here on June 30th & July 7th, 2008. This property is easy on-easy off exit #23 of the Indiana Toll Road. It takes pets, which pleased us. However there is a non-refundable pet cleanup fee, although our Scottie is a lady. There is a nice neighborhood nearby, where we walked our Scottie. The free breakfast was good. And there are plenty of restaurants and gas stations in the area. The front desk personnel, Theresa and Hardy, were terrific.

However, the property looks worn. One of the side security doors never worked, so anyone could walk in. It could use a new carpet. And there were cigarette burns on the bedspread. We'll stay there again, but I wish the owners would spiff it up.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank AMB&JAS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portage
0.3 km away
17.4 km away
Comfort Suites Merrillville
Comfort Suites Merrillville
#9 of 22 in Merrillville

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!