“From an annual visitor”
Review of Abe Martin Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nashville
Abe Martin Lodge
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I stay at the Abe Martin Lodge in Brown County State Park almost every fall. I usually stay in one of the rustic cabins, which are not for everyone. There is no TV or telephone in the cabin rooms, but they have recently put microwaves and refrigerators in them. My Verizon cellphone has service in the cabins, in the inn, and in the park. The cabins are not winterized and are not available between November and March. I enjoy Indiana's state park inns, but one needs to know want to expect to avoid being disappointed. Since they are located within sate parks, there is an entry fee (charged once) and they are not accessable from main highways. They are older buildings with interesting histories. They are not sterile and modern, but I have found them to be clean and comfortable. A recently added feature of the Abe Martin Lodge is the indoor water park, which makes it a great place for families with children. There is a slide, lazy river, and splash pad as well as a spa and pool. The theme of Abe Martin and his friends, cartoon characters, are carried out throughout the lodge and cabins. Brown County State Park has a nature center, hiking trails, and spectacular views, especially in the Fall. I have found the meals in the dining room to be OK.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank PJIMARION
There are newer reviews for Abe Martin Lodge

Reviewed 10 December 2011

We stayed here several times when visiting daughter while she attended IU in Bloomington, (25 minutes away). There is a learning curve with this lodge, but once you get it figured out, it is a fine value in a very special state park.

First visit, we ended up in the main lodge in a room just off the main recreation room. There was a wedding that night and guests gathered in the recreation room to chat, laugh, generally make noise until well after midnight. Not a good experience, but the next night, was much better as there were no party-goers. Anyway, our second visit, by chance, we ended up in the "Annex", a newer section of the hotel. The "Annex" is the way to go at AML. Updated rooms, quiet, still connected to the main lodge.

We have been back many times now and have had many wonderful stays. Daughter has graduated but, AML and Brown County are now vacation destinations for us (we live in Chicago).

If you want to rough it, the cabins are value priced, but too basic for us. Never been in the family cabins, but they look like a great place to spend a holiday weekend.

Food at the "Little Gem", the AML restaurants is consistently BAD. Go into Nashville, IN for decent food. AML is really missing a revenue opportunity here.

We will be back for the park and our "annex" room.

Room Tip: We like the "annex" rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank hidrocarbin
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I went with my family (12 of us) and we had a good time. I stayed at lodge and it was nice till we saw crumbs in the bed, under the pillow. (maybe it was cookie crumbs)? It just tells me that they did not change the sheets. We did tell the front desk and someone brought us some sheets....just handed them to us. I thought they might make the bed. Our phone didn't work but I told the front desk. That was no big deal. My sister rented a cabin and that was nice. We cooked and hung out with family and that was very nice. We took a nice hike on trails and went to downtown shops. It was very pretty and relaxing. The place is nice and the pool was nice and I liked the hot tub, but the place is kind of old. I am surprised that there is a waiting list for almost a year for the cabins. I still had a good time though and I would go back if there was another family trip planned there.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank kathy r
Reviewed 8 November 2011

The room is your classic state park lodge. Rustic look, but clean. Our room had a mini fridge and flat screen tv. They have a mini indoor water park that is quite nice. One slide, hot tube and a winding river. the pool also has an area for the little kids. My only complaint is the lodge food. It is horrible. I suspect they don't have a chef. Everything must come from cisco and get warmed. Breakfast- the eggs were kind of rubbery and had been left out to long. Lunch - the fried chicken had been out so long it was dried out. Supper- the main dishes were all swimming in gravy of some kind an I really still don't know what it was. I was there for a profession conference and we had they prepair a fruit tray and cheese tray. The dumped the fuit and cheese on trays. Very little attempt at presentation. I have stayed at this hotel every year for about 20 years so yes I like it. Just eat in Nashville. I would avoid the pork tenderloin sandwich at all places, They all buy it from cisco and just warm it up. Yuck

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Firetriedby
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We made reservations to stay at Abe Martin for our child's fall break back in January or February of this year and we're very glad we did! The leaves were beautiful and it was a great time to hike and shop. The waterpark is always a good place to play later in the day when the daylight is waning. We went horseback riding for the first time here and were very pleased with it. The rooms were amazingly quiet in spite of the full house they had staying during this, their high season for leaf peepers. The beds are definitely FIRM (okay, they're hard).

If you're looking for a luxury experience, this is not the place. However, if you want casual comfort, lots of things to do outdoors, and the scenic beauty that is Brown County, this is your place. We only had breakfast in The Little Gem dining room on site, and while my eight year old loved the buffet, I enjoyed the omelets off the menu instead. They have nice service.

The bathrooms are small, although they have the plus of having a separate sink area so more can go on at once. My mother and sister stayed with my son and I the first night before my husband arrived and we laughed and said we were definitely "roughing it" with three gals and one bathroom, but we survived. :-)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family