“Home made cakes and sweets”
Review of Franks cakes

Franks cakes
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Ferntree Gully
Cuisines: Italian
Description: We are a family run cafe cake shop breakfast and lunch 8.00am-300pm Tuesday-Saturday.All cakes made on the premises.Seating for 95 people,famous for our cannoli ,cakes and our food.
Reviewed 13 December 2018

Good variety of very expensive home made cakes and sweets to eat. Some multi take away packs of cookies were marked down but still quit expensive compared to the supermarkets. If they want to compete - and survive - the pricing of many items needs to be reviewed.

Date of visit: December 2018
1  Thank DougandMaus

Reviewed 1 December 2018

Since this has changed hands it has gone down hill - but has sunk to a new low - ordered pot of Tea - large pot big enough 4 - 6 cups - asked for extra tea - as they not use leaves - charged extra $4 - same cost as pot of tea - for one tea bag - for one person tea pot way to big a smaller pot and suitable bags would have been more appropriate - absolutely no idea what they are doing in this place - would not go back - shame to see good place managed by fools

Date of visit: December 2018
4  Thank Gary F
Reviewed 15 October 2018

Had lunch here for the 1st time with a mate. I was informed that a new family has taken over the business. Bianca whose family runs the cafe was great with a beautiful personality as well as were all the staff. Cakes looked fantastic as well.
Lunch was very good too. Will def be back !!

Date of visit: October 2018
2  Thank cheron51
Reviewed 13 October 2018

I discovered Frank's Cakes back in May when I urgently needed a birthday cake for my son. I got a gorgeous cake, was treated beautifully by the chef, everything was great and we were rapt. Then I had lunch there a couple of times over the months, took friends and my partner there, and the coffee, food and service were always excellent. I loved the ambience and the cake/dessert selection. So today I decided to take my son and his GF there for lunch. We arrived about 2 pm, sat down and were given menus. The menu says breakfast is all day. I ordered eggs benedict, son's GF ordered pancakes, and son ordered a burger. We ordered desserts for afterwards. Our hot chocolates and coffee came fairly quickly. So we waited. And waited. Eventually, about half an hour later, the waitress came up to us and, incredibly, said she was "terribly sorry but the chef has said the kitchen is closed and you won't be served your meals". I asked if she was joking and she then said (even more incredibly) that "lunch wasn't really a thing any more" (oh really? I'm sure the hospitality industry need to know about this). Meanwhile, the people who arrived at the same time as us (they literally walked in the door ahead of us) were served their what looked like parma and salad so lunch was most definitely a thing for them it seems. We were asked if we wanted to still have our desserts but I was so stunned and angry I said we'd just leave it at the drinks. I must stress that the waitress was very nice and I've been served by her before. I'm not blaming her for this but I'm just so cross and disappointed. I can't help but wonder if it has changed hands? In fact I'd bet money that it has. Why weren't we told when we sat down and ordered that (a) the breakfast menu certainly was not "all day" and that "lunch isn't really a thing any more". We wasted all that time waiting for food that was never coming. Such a shame. It used to be a fabulous place - a surprising gem in an unlikely spot - but I won't be going back there and I don't recommend you do either if you want lunch, because that's not a thing any more. TIP FOR THE NEW OWNERS: change your menu urgently and put up a big sign saying kitchen closes at 3 (or whenever the chef has decided) and that lunch isn't really a thing any more. Let people know as soon as they sit down, if it's after 1.30-2 pm, that it's entirely possible they won't actually get their food.

Date of visit: October 2018
4  Thank MsPraxis
Reviewed 10 October 2018

We having been going to Franks for many years and have purchased cakes for all out family occasions from there, they have been exceptional, so much so that my daughter requested a mini version of her 18th birthday cake for her 19th. I rang to order the cake, a small chocolate mud cake with chocolate butter cream icing, pretty standard. The order was taken, but then I received a call back 30 minutes later to let me know they don’t make plain chocolate mud cakes, just marble mud, I was pretty surprised since we had a chocolate mud the year before but I said ok. Then a few minutes later I received another call to say they can’t make chocolate butter cream only white butter cream, so basically I couldn’t have the cake we wanted. Against my better judgement we proceeded with the cake, they offered to write happy birthday on it which placated me a little. I picked the cake up it looked terrible, the writing was like a child’s and the icing was not even squared. The cake itself tasted nice but the fondant between the layers and the icing was awful. We were grateful it was not a cake to be presented to guests we dissected it and cut off the fondant and icing so we could eat it. I later discovered the management had changed which explained everything. We will miss Franks awesome cakes.

Date of visit: July 2018