Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Dotti N
Melbourne, Australia

Disorganised mess

2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 31 Aug 2023
We had booked a table of 14 at the FTG Hotel. We had been there several times before, so we knew what to expect. Previously, the food and the service was very good which made for a very happy lunch. However, this time was quite the opposite. They had cut down on the dishes that were standard on all previous occasions. No baked salmon, no potato bake, no cauliflower/broccoli gratin, no caesar salad, no bread & butter pudding. These are the only dishes that I noticed but there were probably more. Not only had they cut back on the assortment, they had also cut back on the quantities displayed. There was nobody carving the meat so was required to ask for assistance. There were no vegetables which was requested and needed to wait while they were being cooked. Others needed to ask for the apple crumble. But the final straw was that there was no custard, again needed to be requested. The kitchen assistant came out with a supermarket carton of cold custard and poured it into the container (which is normally contained with heated custard). I did speak to the manager Jackie expressing my disappointment as we were used to better. She immediately went on the defense advising me of the learners in the kitchen & the staff shortages, telling me this is what I would expect from supermarkets, chemists and the like, which is totally irrelevent but no apology. If I was being served in an A la' carte restaurant, yes of course I would be expected to wait, but on delivery of my meal I would expect everything that I ordered. This is a buffet, where one helps themselves, so one would expect the food to be there to serve yourself with. I can only put this down to a disorganised mess and another visit would be out of the question, and will be taking our custom elsewhere.
Date of stay: August 2023
Room Tip: Good Luck.
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Front Shot External
11.7 km from Nightcap at Ferntree Gully Hotel
Fitness centre
View more hotels in Ferntree Gully
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 June 2023

The room was large and overall comfortable, though a couple of issues. Firstly, there are 2 beds in the room and we intended using both, however there was only one spare blanket. Second, our bathroom had no towel rail except for a 30cm one adjacent to the sink for the hand towel. Lastly, for such an otherwise modern room there is no toaster.

I booked directly and afterwards was emailed a survey. I took the time to respond, thinking it would assist them (otherwise why do they ask), mentioning the above 3 items. I received an offensive email back telling me the rooms have towel rails (the ones in the website photo's might but mine definitely didn't), that had I wanted a spare blanket for both beds they would have provided one had I asked (except that Reception closes at or before 8pm and you don't realise before going to bed) and pointing out the room has heating (not a substitute for a blanket on a bed I'm afraid, not many people sleep with the heating going all night). If they didn't want honest constructive feedback they shouldn't ask for it, and I sorely wish I hadn't wasted my time on them.

Room tip: Take your own toaster and crockery/cutlery and if using spare bed in winter, you better take your own spare blanket too.
Date of stay: June 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2022 via mobile

A budget room, nice and tidy but for $150 , I didn’t expect to see someone else’s leftover trip to the loo and a raised seat when I walked into the bathroom! Maybe a desperate cleaner…??
After a 10 hour drive I just wanted a nice steak and a quick beer, but for $25 I got a lukewarm porterhouse and stone cold chips, and a glass of the excellent Furphy ale that frankly tasted like it had been drawn through 1880’s cast iron plumbing.
Fair enough it’s a bit of a pokie palace but these days I reckon that’s completely unacceptable.
Maybe give this joint a miss.

Date of stay: December 2022
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank EK2013
Reviewed 29 March 2022 via mobile

The room we were in was very dirty, window ledge in bathroom dirty, big cobweb in bathroom, shower recess dirty, light switch near front door filthy, black plastic from kettle in the bottom of the kettle ,could not use, light fitting in bedroom full of dust or bugs.

Date of stay: March 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2021

The room was spacious, very clean, the bed comfortable, the bathroom nice and big. there is plenty of parking and the bistro has great food. Overall it was very good. Our only complaint is the lack of reception. There was no-one there when we arrived at 5.30pm so we had to go to the bistro of the adjoining tavern to check in. There was no-one at reception when we checked out so we had to go back to the bistro and check out there.

Date of stay: February 2021
Reviewed 23 November 2019

30 + 31/10/2019 Room 9. Yes would stay here again. But some things you need to be aware of. There is no breakfast facility on site and no toaster or microwave. There is a basic breakfast pack available FREE IF YOU BOOK DIRECT. The hotel bistro (separate building) is excellent, perhaps the best quality smorgasbord food I have ever experienced, and a discount is applied for resident guests. Room was large with good ensuite, good shower. Comfortable beds. Beds are on casters so can be risky, We have found this in some other places and as an ex business owner I fail to understand why the hospitality industry has not realized how they are leaving themselves liable to an injury claim - imagine the outcome if an older frail person goes to sit on the bed and it moves away and they fall. The room and linen were clean, the only fault I could find was the ensuite window frame needed a clean.

Date of stay: October 2019