All reviews state park gus grissom nature center fried chicken huge fireplace indoor outdoor pool air hockey dvd player grist mill rocking chairs ping pong step back in time hiking trails are double queen hoosier hospitality persimmon pudding small lake
Reviewed 24 December 2017 via mobile

We stayed for 2 night for a quick get away. We were looking for a quaint Inn to spend some family time with our 8 and 10 year old boys. The room was clean and comfortable. The towels were fluffy. Next time I will bring my own pillows, however as they did not provide any support. The WiFi and signal is iffy, at best. The boys loved the game room and pool, and we all l loved the big lobby with the fireplace and Christmas music playing. All of the staff we encountered was friendly. The weather was nice, and we were able to take a hike one morning. We are hoping to make this a Christmas tradition in the years to come.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Taylor F, General Manager at Spring Mill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2017

We are so happy to be apart of your memory making trip to Spring Mill Inn. We hope to see you next year. Thanks for the review!

Reviewed 21 December 2017

When booking we realized this was an old lodge, but the condition of our room's carpet was unacceptable. It most probably was the cause of the unbearable musty/moldy smell that never went away and the stickiness. I never once went barefoot on the carpets (I wore flip flops) and when we knew the towels were done for the day I laid those on the floor to stand on while getting dressed. I saw an employee cleaning the carpets int he halls one day (making them smell much netter) and I asked him why they can't do that to the rooms. It would take too much time and cost too much money. He said with all the hikers that stay the smell never really goes away. I don't know what he thinks the hikers are doing while staying at the lodge, but I don't think it contributes to the musty/moldy smell. That is purely from very old, very dirty carpets.

The linens and towels, however, felt inviting and fresh so I felt comfortable whenever in bed. . It's much easier to provide clean linens then it is to shampoo/replace carpet.

The room's shape was a little awkward and made moving around hard (there were 2 adults and a 7-year-old), but give the age of the lodge I can understand. The furnishings (quilts, wood-crafted rocking chairs, etc.) were just what we were looking for.

The lobby and reception area were not as big as I imagined (and saw in pics) for such a grand old lodge. However, the beautiful lounge/game areas on the lower level were spacious and inviting.

We knew before coming that the pool was an in/out one in the woods, but I was still a little disgusted by the amount of bugs that were always floating around in the water. My daughter (who's not a strong swimmer), could never enjoy the outside portion because it was only a deep end.

I have reviewed the restaurant separately since it has it is separate on TA.

Most of the staff were very nice and seemed genuine.

The grounds and exterior of the lodge were wonderful and just what we were looking for on this short trip.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2017

A nice comfortable Inn in a beautiful setting The restaurant at the Inn served delicious food with smiling and helpful staff. Overall, a restful and relaxing stay. The historical village in the Spring Mill State Park was very interesting with walkways leading through the village and a ramp into the Spring Mill allow all of us to enter the mill and take in the history.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cliff T
Taylor F, General Manager at Spring Mill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2017

We are happy you were able to enjoy a relaxing weekend here at Spring Mill Inn and Spring Mill State Park. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 2 November 2017

A beautiful Inn in a beautiful setting. Wheelchair accessibility topped with friendly and helpful staff resulted in a comfortable stay. The restaurant at the Inn served delicious food with smiling and helpful staff. The serene setting guarantees a restful and relaxing stay.

The historical village in the Spring Mill State Park was refreshingly wheelchair accessible. Paved walkways leading through the village and a ramp into the Spring Mill allow all of us to enter the mill and take in the history.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Taylor F, General Manager at Spring Mill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2017

Thank you for your recent review and sharing the great aspects of Spring Mill. We look forward to your next visit. Kindest Regards.

Reviewed 26 October 2017

We visited for a two night stay. We stayed here once before some 20 years ago. The hotel is beautiful as is the location. Housekeeping, maintenance and service in general was not really up to expectations. The restaurant was excellent.

Upon arrival I noticed that the formerly beautiful display of potted mums hadn't been watered for days - rendering them rather wilted and dry- just plain unsightly. Upon entering the hotel through a door that sticks rather badly i noticed right away that the very dark lobby needed a good vacuum. I chalked this up to being fairly late in the day on a Sunday. By the time we left on Tuesday morning I can't say it looked much better.

My wife and I both like to read and since the lighting in the rooms was barely adequate we tried the lobby. The lobby is very dark with "atmospheric" lighting. i'd suggest that adding some well placed directed LED's would allow for reading while keeping the ambience that they seem to be looking for. Decor was nice but there was little we could do there unless we wanted to watch television.

Downstairs there is a well lit area with nice seating. However this also serves as a game room with ping pong and air hockey. I have no problem with families having fun so that wasn't a problem. What was a problem was the bank of video game machines- one with gaudy flashing lights and a sign that said OUT OF ORDER on it. Another kept talking to try to entice the patrons who weren't paying any attention to play it.

We ventured outdoors where there is a beautiful back patio and seating area. For reasons I can only guess at, the powers that be chose to put a bank of 12 air conditioner cooling units right in front of it making the location very loud- not at all what I look for in a State Park. The dryer vent for the laundry also seems to come out right next to the seating area so there is a big cloud of steam when the dryer is being run.

Our room was large but poorly laid out and a bit too dark. My wife found several candy wrappers from previous occupants on the floor. The bathroom was spotless however.

My wife went to the front desk several times for purchases and information- both times she had to ring to get someone to come out and serve her.

The restaurant we found to be very good so the problems people mentioned in previous reviews seem to be gone. Breads are fresh baked, the fried chicken and pulled pork we had for lunch were excellent as were the persimmon pudding we had for dessert. An excellent value for under 9 dollars for the buffet. The service was friendly and all efficient.

I would probably stay again as I like the location. I would ask for a room in the front of the building so that I wouldn't have to listen to the aforementioned air conditioners all night or be disturbed by the string of party lights which is hung out on the patio and stays on all night. There is a great deal of potential here- someone just needs to start thinking as if he or she was a guest and everything could be put to rights.

Room Tip: Choose a room towards the front and bring your own higher watt light bulb if you like to read..
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Taylor F, General Manager at Spring Mill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2017

Thank you for your recent review. We only can get better by our guests addressing their areas of concerns. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will be shared among our staff to provide better quality of service. We hope this past stay will not cause you to stay elsewhere in the future. Please contact me when making your future reservation, I will be glad to help.

Kindest Regards.