“Delicious Jamaican food for Indiana”

Cool Runnings Jamaican Restaurant
Ranked #69 of 166 Restaurants in Michigan City
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

As a Chicago native, I grew up privileged to a variety of cuisines from all over the world and Jamaican food is one of them. With that being said, this place gets an A+ in authenticity and flavor. This place even gives my usual spot in the city a run for its money! My partner and I enjoyed a jerk wing dinner with mac n cheese/rice and peas as well as curry goat and rice and peas/cabbage. The jerk wings were flavorful and moist and the goat was so tender. Our server was pleasant and gave great drink recommendations (try the painkiller!). I don’t do many reviews so you know a place has to be good if I’m taking the time to sit down and type this :) The only reason this review isn’t a five star is because the food wasn’t as hot in temperature as it could be (nothing a quick fix with the microwave at home won’t solve because the portions are hearty enough to have leftovers) and I also was not a fan of the mac and cheese. The flavor was present but the noodles were really over cooked. However, these minor complaints will not stop us from returning!

Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

Today was my second visit to this restaurant. The first time they forgot my macaroni and cheese. Today I purchased the lunch special and they gave me one piece of fish and the macaroni and cheese this time. I also bought a bottles cream soda. When I got back to my office and realized I paid $17.12 for a bottle of cream soda that was molded around bottleneck and one piece of fish and a side, I immediately called the restaurant and was told this is what comes in the lunch special. After angrily stating my concerns, they told me the next time I come in, the third time should be a charm. I plan on going to every site to voice my dismay because this was robbery committed by the restaurant.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

If you’re a fan of authentic Jamaican food this place is for you. Great service. Great authentic Jamaican food. Great atmosphere. More importantly affordable!! Side note, they have moved to new facility closer to the lake and casino on Center Street. Customer for life. Don’t forget to ask for Shady Creek wine or Zorn beer. We like to support our locals.

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

I love jerk chicken. For several years I made regular business trips to Kingston, Jamaica and had the good fortune to eat at Scotchies with regularity. That was more than 5 years ago and the quality then was very good. Since then I’ve not found a restaurant with jerk chicken that I’ve enjoyed as much. Until today. Today my wife and I went to Cool Runnings for lunch. We had seen the place during another trip to the Michigan City area and made a trip specifically to try the food.

Both meals were excellent. We started with fried plantains, which we’re lightly fried and very tasty. I had the jerk chicken dish and my wife had the stewed chicken. Both portions were large and we had leftovers. The Mac and Cheese was delicious. The service was prompt and friendly while we enjoyed a nice breeze on the porch on a very hot day.

We will definitely return to this casual spot.

Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

First, they have moved and are across the Amtrak tracks from BlueChip.

This is the closest that we have come in the States to Caribbean cuisine. Our waitress Camille was attentive. The food was authentic. We sat outside, and when we closed our eyes, the jerk smells and music brought us to the islands.