“Cute Vintage Town”
Review of Historic District

Historic District
Ranked #2 of 21 things to do in Madison
More attraction details
Owner description: The area along First, Second and Third Streets is home to many of the town's restored pre-Civil War houses.
Reviewed 17 August 2018

Enjoyed this town for its pre-Civil War architecture. I was surprised there were not more restaurants in the Historic District. We had a hard time looking for places to eat. Not many restaurants Downtown and they close early. The ice-cream shops stay open later. A sleepy town with not a lot of action unless there is an event going on. Relaxing and peaceful visit. I would stop in again if in the area.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"visitor center"
"civil war"
in 3 reviews
"clifty falls state park"
in 5 reviews
"businesses"
in 16 reviews
"homes"
in 34 reviews
"fountain"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 16 August 2018

Nice river town with a downtown that has been preserved pretty well unlike many others that have been gentrified to death.

Reviewed 5 August 2018

Great shops and restaurants and really good people watching. It's like going back in time as it is exactly like most small towns use to be like.

Reviewed 31 July 2018

Perhaps it is historic, but the buildings weren't anything to awe at, the surrounding neighborhood is like feral housing, and it just didn't have the charm that I thought it would. We like to take road trips from Chicago to small towns and had this one on our list for quite a while. Maybe it was just an "off" day, but there wasn't a feel-good vibe there. Most of the people wandering around looked pretty miserable. We will stick to going north and west when we want to see a small town. Madison could learn a thing or two from Galena, IL and Cedarburg, WI.

The only good quality was the riverfront, but even that was pretty scarce besides a nice pathway and a pretty view.

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

I remember it was a year or so ago that I noticed a number of vacant storefronts in the downtown area. This was exceedingly disappointing as I have always loved this small town. Today there seems to be more vibrancy and some newer businesses downtown. This is very encouraging not only for visitors like me but for the welfare of the community. I have always enjoyed the quaint architecture of the area and hope to take one of their monthly architectural tours that they offer on the third Saturdays of the month during the warmer seasons. I can think of very few small towns that I enjoy as much as Madison.