“Slight Concerns About Cleanliness”

Red Roof Inn Lafayette
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Lafayette
Reviewed 31 August 2012

My husband & I stayed just to get a few hrs sleep and safely continue our journey from S FL to Northern MI. Honestly, haven't heard any tv reports about bedbugs and this never crossed my mind until reading reviews from OTHER HOTELS-- NOT RED ROOF!!! I DID NOT see BUGS OF ANY SORT, but the overall cleanliness left something to desire. Now, after reading reviews of UNRELATED HOTELS, and guests being bitten by bed bugs I only wish I would've researched/asked when the West LaFayette, IN Red Roof Inn was inspected by health officials & whether or not there were any problems during the last health inspection.
I want to be CLEAR--- I SAW NO BUGS OF ANY KIND IN OUR ROOM AT THE RED ROOF INN in West Lafayette, IN on 8/23/2012. But, I'll definitely do my due diligence on ANY hotel I ever stay in again.
I'm not asking for much--- a clean room, c'mon. Please have the housekeepers clean corners, vacuum BEHIND objects, especially still visible to the naked eye. Isn't that why we are charged for the rooms--- cleaning, maintenance, upkeep?

Room Tip: Ask about most recent inspection, or ask a local for a recommendation, someone who finds importance...
1  Thank Jennyj4C
rri62, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lafayette, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

I apologize for your experience while visiting our inn. We try and make sure every guest has the best experience possible and I am sorry your experience was not as you thought it should be. Cleanliness is a very important concern to us as well, and I'm glad you found no indication, either through other reviews or in your own inspection, of bedbugs at our inn. Other hotels have had problems in the past, but I can assure you, we are not them. The majority of our reviews are quite positive for this reason. Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback and I hope for the opportunity in the future to provide the level of service you were expecting.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

Booked because it was pet friendly. No charge and no size limit restrictions. Mapquest directions were not good and hotel staff helped us get there via the phone. Hotel was a lot more modern than I expected for the price. And I could not believe they offered continental breakfast. Because of our experience, we looked for a Red Roof Inn on our way home as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
rri62, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lafayette, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip and our convenient location to. Thank you for giving us an opportunity to provide you with great service and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel because of the ratings. However, we were very disappointed. Our room reaked of smoke and we asked to move to another room. Next room was wall to wall spider webs and just didn't feel clean. Was ok for the few hours We stayed.

2  Thank Coffeegal17

I apologize for your experience while visiting our inn. Due to the new smoke-free air policy adopted by our state legislature, we did recently have to convert rooms previously reserved for smoking guests into non-smoking rooms. Thank you for extending some understanding on that point. This was a difficult transition as smoke is a very persistent smell. I'm very sorry it caused you inconvenience. We try and make sure every guest has the best experience possible and I am sorry your experience with our housekeeping staff not as you thought it should be. I have reviewed our service policies with all of my team members and I hope for the opportunity in the future to provide the level of service you were expecting.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

When I booked at the red rood inn I really wasn't expecting much. I had read a few mixed reviews about it but for the price I decided to book it. When I arrived the staff was extremely welcoming, the woman at the front desk gave us a discount that I didn't even know existed and meant a lot to me as a poor college student. When my guy and I went into the room I inspected everything, because I can't stand to sleep somewhere that is dirty and it was very clean! When I checked out the next day the guy at the front desk was very nice, he asked me about school and carried a nice conversation. I'd highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: book standard rooms early, they sell out fast.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 July 2012

We booked one evening at this Red Roof Inn on 6/21. We were looking for a clean place to stay for a budget price. I was able to get it for even slightly less via a third party web site. I booked two rooms, one for my husband and me and one for two friends who were traveling with us.

The check-in staff person was very nice and welcoming. She explained where our rooms were and what time breakfast was available. Truthfully from the outside the inn does not look promising, and at the time of check-in I think only one side of the building was being utilized. However, the inside seems to have been remodeled recently. Unfortunately the room does show some signs of wear, especially the carpet. But overall cleanliness (the bathroom and linens, which I find most important) was good.

The breakfast: I was pretty surprised that there was a waffle maker, toaster and bagels/cream cheese, cereal, etc. for breakfast. However, note that there are only three tables wedged in a tiny room with a long counter that consists of the breakfast area. It works if you're in a pinch (no pun intended). Half of us brought breakfast back to our room and the other half ate at McDonald's across the street. This is not the kind of breakfast area where you hang out and eat leisurely, as one woman on her lap top seemed to think. You get in, get your stuff, and get out. I'm not docking the Red Roof for breakfast as typically that's not something you would expect with this class hotel, but don't build up the anticipation too much for it. It was kind of like a "bonus."

Overall four stars ("very good") in comparison to other hotels in its class. A good place to sleep.

*One other note: There was a slight smoky smell in both rooms. In our room I would say it was pretty mild and almost unnoticeable, but our friends' room slightly more intense. I will give Red Roof the benefit of the doubt in that I think Indiana recently passed a no smoking law of some sort....but the smell still lingers. I know regardless of cleanings it's difficult to be rid of such odors. The smoky room housed two easy-going bachelors so...it didn't happen to be a problem for us.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends