“Whoops, start to finish”

Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis South
Ranked #77 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Buffalo
“Whoops, start to finish”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

There was a problem with the reservation (twice), a problem with the room we were assigned that had been changed the afternoon of the day we arrived, the beds are too small and the general manager caused the room problem and didn't stick around to deal with it. We (4 women) had a reservation for a king bed with queen pullout sofa. When we arrived, the general manager had changed us to a smoking room (disgusting) with a king bed. A new room was magically found even though the hotel was booked up with a kids' baseball tournament. The new room had 2 beds but they were full, not even queen. We asked for a new room the next day and got the same 2 full size beds with an air conditioner that dripped on the carpet and soaked it. My advice would be to stay someplace else.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Bill L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis South, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Meeskey,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am very sorry you had the issues that you did, it can be quite difficult to accommodate everyone exactly on a weekend that was so busy and full. It just seems that one change leads to another, sometimes trying to make a "miracle" for one guest can lead to disappointment to another guest down the line. Please be aware that we always identify that we have double beds and not queen beds, you feedback will help us during our next renovation and we can replace them with larger beds. Please understand that the situation you ran into is the rarity and not the norm. I do hope your next hotel stay, no matter where it is, provides you more satisfaction.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Stayed at this Holiday Inn Express for a wedding recently. We arrived 1.5 hours prior to check-in time, with the hope of changing into our dresses for the wedding. No rooms were available. However, after waiting about 0.5 hours, the hotel very kindly upgraded our room, and allowed us to get in early. It was a very mucy appreciated accomodation on their part.

The room itself was certainly adequate. Not dirty nor uncomfortable. It was precisely as you'd expect for a hotel of this sort. A complimentary breakfast was also served, which provided for more options that the typical continental breakfast. Overall, this hotel provided a good experience, and the service was outstanding.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Bill L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis South, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
galle8,

Thank you for taking the time to review us!! We are glad you stayed with us. We are glad you enjoyed having hot items on our breakfast bar and hope you didn't miss our pancake machine! I will make sure my employees know that you appreciated their service efforts. We are truly hopeful you will find another reason to come and stay with us again.

Valparaiso, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed here 1 night while looking at colleges in the Indy area, room was priced competitively and the staff was very nice, breakfast was great, not the newest hotel around but a worthwhile place to stay.

DexBmx,

Thank you for taking time to review us!! Hopefully you visited University of Indy while here, it is only 2 miles from our door. These trips can be very involved and we are glad we were able to provide quality accommodations and excellent service to make that part of the trip better.

We hope to see you again.

Rockport, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We were able to book a vacation package that morning. We picked up our tickets for the Children's Museum and were there in less than 30mins. Would have been quicker except for a wrong turn. The pool was nice. The hot tub had some issues but the hubby figured it out. I was woke up by a truck starting and backing at 4am that was not a good thing. Breakfast was a busy place. Everyone was trying to get out at the same time. For the most part everything was good.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Bill L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis South, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Becky,

Thank you for your review. We do offer a variety of options for almost any traveler's needs. I am glad we had an option that was awesome for your family. Thank you for choosing us and we truly hope your kids enjoyed the largest Children's Museum in the US. Thanks!!

Springfield, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed at this property for a brief overnight stay as the first stop on a 10-day leisure vacation. We stayed in a standard guest room and used the complimentary breakfast; we did not use the pool area or other amenities due to the briefness of our stay.

Parking: We arrived later in the evening (around 9 PM) on a weeknight and the parking lot was relatively crowded. We were able to find a spot, and there appears to be ample parking at the location.

Check-In: There was a very pleasant woman behind the desk who greeted me immediately upon check-in. I had used Hotwire to secure the reservation and my experience has been that some properties treat you differently when you use outside services, but they had my reservation all ready for us and she was quick and efficient in checking us in.

Public Areas: The public areas seemed to be, for the most part, well-kept, although I suspect some of the guests were massive smokers, since we smelled smoke in various locations as we went to our room. It wasn't obtrusive to us, however.

Guest Room: This is where most of my mark downs occurred. We stayed in 8 different hotels on this trip and this room was by far the most disappointing. It was outdated, which I could live with, but the degree of cleanliness was less than I like. Neither the main room nor the bathroom was particularly clean, although it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Worse to me was the fixtures in the bathroom. The shower head was old and not clean and the tub faucet leaked literally in a stream, not just drips. The water could not be turned off adequately. I can overlook dated decor, but there is no reason for the plumbing to have the kind of issues. We were only there to sleep, so I didn't call to try to have someone repair it b/c we were leaving early the next day and I chose not to spare the time it would have taken, but the fact is I shouldn't have had to. Also, the air conditioning system was extremely loud. Even my kids complained they couldn't talk over it. Because of these issues, I marked down below average.

Complimentary Breakfast: I travel for both business and leisure and have eaten many complimentary and not complimentary hotel breakfasts. Their breakfast area was crowded with guests, which is to be expected. We did find a place to sit. The selections at 7 AM were picked through, but we managed to find something for each our our party. You can't really mess up cereal. The sweet rolls were fine, but the scrambled eggs I had were very heavy and I left wishing I hadn't eaten them.

Overall, I received very good service from staff members. They were competent and friendly. The value was acceptable given how much I paid for the room, but if I had paid any more than what I did I would have been greatly disappointed based on the outdated and only fairly clean room as well as the plumbing issues and general quality of offered amenities. From the other reviews, it appears people may have had better rooms and experiences than I did, but I could recommend this only for a quick overnight stay and I doubt I would return to this location personally.

Tarkeena,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. You review was very fair and honest. I am encouraged by the highlights you listed. Your criticisms are also highly appreciated, we can do better and will review our procedures and work to improve those shortcomings. We are pleased that our location and convenience provided for your needs. As you said our staff are quite welcoming and have a strong desire to provide top notch hospitality. Thank you again.