“Brings out the child in YOU.”

Children's Museum of Indianapolis
Ranked #2 of 127 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: The largest children's museum in the world just got even bigger with the addition of a new 7.5-acre outdoor health and fitness area that encourages activity through multiple sports. The new space, called Riley Children's Health Sports Legends Experience includes basketball, football, hockey, soccer, pedal car racing (drag strip and oval track), golf, baseball, and tennis. The indoor portion of the new area includes the National Art Museum of Sport along with the World of Sport and History of Hoops. The Children's Museum of Indianapolis itself is made up of 500,000 square feet with exhibits and activities that are fun and interesting for the entire family as they explore the physical and natural sciences, history, world cultures and the arts through exciting interactive exhibits on five floors. Families will discover some of the most rare dinosaur fossils in the world and see what it's like to live and work in space. There's also a theater with children's plays and live entertainment.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I've taken my children there and now I've taken my grandchildren there. I never get tired of the place. They are always changing and updating exhibits keep you interested. There is so much to see and to participate in. You will never see it all in one day. It is entirely possible to spend hours in just one area. You can dig up ancient bones or look at the stars and be mesmerized. It is very interactive. If you don't walk away with a smile on you face... you must be Mr. Scrooge.

Date of experience: July 2017
Write a ReviewReviews (3,661)
All reviews
"china exhibit"
in 68 reviews
"water clock"
in 60 reviews
"the terra cotta warriors"
in 41 reviews
in 91 reviews
"parking garage"
in 58 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Neither my husband nor I had ever been to a children's museum before. I am into "pop culture" (I did an academic paper on the "Easy-Bake Oven" a few years ago) so we were interested in seeing what the museum had to offer. The museum is very easy to get to. We took a city bus from downtown to the museum. We thoroughly enjoyed seeing the dinosaur "poking its head" into the museum as we approached it. Lots and lots of children and their families were there the day that we went to the museum since it was the day before Good Friday. We especially enjoyed the exhibits on pop culture, Anne Frank, Ruby Bridges, Ryan White, and, of course, the dinosaurs. We even tried our hand (should I say "feet"?) at dancing the hustle at the dance exhibit. We took our time so that we could really see and do everything. We spent over 3 hours at the museum. It was a great way to spend a rainy Thursday afternoon in Indianapolis.

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank Doc R
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

It was really easy to find, lots of signs pointing the way. They have an attached parking garage. You walk thru a skywalk to the Museum. The museum is 4 floors of things to see and do. Every floor is packed with interactive displays and exhibits. The cafeteria is moderately priced and the food was good. We had a great time and I’m not even sure was saw everything. We spent a full day here and it flew by. There is plenty to do for children of all ages. We will definitely go again. Worth every penny....

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 6 April 2018

For one adult and one child was $56 for a day that was 7 hours long. And you have to pay for the carousel. It was an interesting museum, my 7 year old enjoyed it, but $112 for 2 days seemed really steep for a museum. The sports area is a fun "playground" but the lines were long and my daughter has a leg disability and couldn't do 95% of the activities anyhow. The museum part she thought extremely boring for the sports as well.

Date of experience: March 2018