“A terrific place to spend a Thursday afternoon”

Children's Museum of Indianapolis
Ranked #3 of 182 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: The largest children's museum in the world just got even bigger with the addition of a new 7.5-acre outdoor health and fitness area that encourages activity through multiple sports. The new space, called Riley Children's Health Sports Legends Experience includes basketball, football, hockey, soccer, pedal car racing (drag strip and oval track), golf, baseball, and tennis. The indoor portion of the new area includes the National Art Museum of Sport along with the World of Sport and History of Hoops. The Children's Museum of Indianapolis itself is made up of 500,000 square feet with exhibits and activities that are fun and interesting for the entire family as they explore the physical and natural sciences, history, world cultures and the arts through exciting interactive exhibits on five floors. Families will discover some of the most rare dinosaur fossils in the world and see what it's like to live and work in space. There's also a theater with children's plays and live entertainment.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Neither my husband nor I had ever been to a children's museum before. I am into "pop culture" (I did an academic paper on the "Easy-Bake Oven" a few years ago) so we were interested in seeing what the museum had to offer. The museum is very easy to get to. We took a city bus from downtown to the museum. We thoroughly enjoyed seeing the dinosaur "poking its head" into the museum as we approached it. Lots and lots of children and their families were there the day that we went to the museum since it was the day before Good Friday. We especially enjoyed the exhibits on pop culture, Anne Frank, Ruby Bridges, Ryan White, and, of course, the dinosaurs. We even tried our hand (should I say "feet"?) at dancing the hustle at the dance exhibit. We took our time so that we could really see and do everything. We spent over 3 hours at the museum. It was a great way to spend a rainy Thursday afternoon in Indianapolis.

1  Thank Doc R
Write a ReviewReviews (3,585)
All reviews
"china exhibit"
in 66 reviews
"water clock"
in 60 reviews
"the terra cotta warriors"
in 41 reviews
in 55 reviews
"whole family"
in 82 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

It was really easy to find, lots of signs pointing the way. They have an attached parking garage. You walk thru a skywalk to the Museum. The museum is 4 floors of things to see and do. Every floor is packed with interactive displays and exhibits. The cafeteria is moderately priced and the food was good. We had a great time and I’m not even sure was saw everything. We spent a full day here and it flew by. There is plenty to do for children of all ages. We will definitely go again. Worth every penny....

Reviewed 6 April 2018

For one adult and one child was $56 for a day that was 7 hours long. And you have to pay for the carousel. It was an interesting museum, my 7 year old enjoyed it, but $112 for 2 days seemed really steep for a museum. The sports area is a fun "playground" but the lines were long and my daughter has a leg disability and couldn't do 95% of the activities anyhow. The museum part she thought extremely boring for the sports as well.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Overall our visit was wonderful. I loved all the changes since my last visit a few years back. One suggestion: I could not find anyone in a very busy lobby for questions or map of exhibits with reference to "age group interest" per floor. Had we known, we would have started at ground level where exhibits were more interesting for 12 year old boy.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Was it just me or does the chocolate slide fill the entry way with the aroma of a chocolate factory? Placing it by their food court is sure to increase sales.

We checked out most of the exhibits (minus the sports & dinosaurs). My nieces favorites were the slide and the carousel. I found the exhibit featuring Ruby Bridges, Anne Frank & Ryan White to be the most impactful.

Free parking! You don’t find that too often with these types of attractions. I do feel the ticket price was a little high & per their website, the price is always higher when you purchase the day of your visit. We bought ours online the day before.