“too expensive”

Children's Museum of Indianapolis
Ranked #2 of 127 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: The largest children's museum in the world just got even bigger with the addition of a new 7.5-acre outdoor health and fitness area that encourages activity through multiple sports. The new space, called Riley Children's Health Sports Legends Experience includes basketball, football, hockey, soccer, pedal car racing (drag strip and oval track), golf, baseball, and tennis. The indoor portion of the new area includes the National Art Museum of Sport along with the World of Sport and History of Hoops. The Children's Museum of Indianapolis itself is made up of 500,000 square feet with exhibits and activities that are fun and interesting for the entire family as they explore the physical and natural sciences, history, world cultures and the arts through exciting interactive exhibits on five floors. Families will discover some of the most rare dinosaur fossils in the world and see what it's like to live and work in space. There's also a theater with children's plays and live entertainment.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

For one adult and one child was $56 for a day that was 7 hours long. And you have to pay for the carousel. It was an interesting museum, my 7 year old enjoyed it, but $112 for 2 days seemed really steep for a museum. The sports area is a fun "playground" but the lines were long and my daughter has a leg disability and couldn't do 95% of the activities anyhow. The museum part she thought extremely boring for the sports as well.

Date of experience: March 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (3,661)
All reviews
"china exhibit"
in 68 reviews
"water clock"
in 60 reviews
"the terra cotta warriors"
in 41 reviews
in 91 reviews
"parking garage"
in 58 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Overall our visit was wonderful. I loved all the changes since my last visit a few years back. One suggestion: I could not find anyone in a very busy lobby for questions or map of exhibits with reference to "age group interest" per floor. Had we known, we would have started at ground level where exhibits were more interesting for 12 year old boy.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Was it just me or does the chocolate slide fill the entry way with the aroma of a chocolate factory? Placing it by their food court is sure to increase sales.

We checked out most of the exhibits (minus the sports & dinosaurs). My nieces favorites were the slide and the carousel. I found the exhibit featuring Ruby Bridges, Anne Frank & Ryan White to be the most impactful.

Free parking! You don’t find that too often with these types of attractions. I do feel the ticket price was a little high & per their website, the price is always higher when you purchase the day of your visit. We bought ours online the day before.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

It was cold and rainy so we didn’t get to do outdoor sports stuff. Tons of info and stuff to do. A little overwhelming for my four year old but my seven year old loved it. We dropped $112.50 for two adults and two young kids. No teacher discount... only veteran discounts.

Date of experience: April 2018
See more reviews
Reviewed 4 April 2018

We went over Spring Break in March and were lucky enough to go on a day it didn't rain. We spent the entire day there and saw about half of the things there are to see. The outdoor sports experiences were all great, especially hockey. I would have loved a planetarium show for my son, but we did watch the presentation on the space module. The line for food when we ate was ridiculous, but if we had gone an hour later it would have been much shorter, so beware. The outdoor treehouse was closed, which was a disappointment, but everything else was open. We also missed the circus exhibit by a few days, so there would have been even more to see otherwise. Free parking was a great perk, just get there early. We also had purchased advanced tickets, so check-in was quick and easy.