“"A Great Place To Research Your Own Family History."”

Allen County Public Library
Ranked #3 of 63 things to do in Fort Wayne
Reviewed 13 January 2018

We had some extra time while attending the Indiana Music Education Association concerts in Fort Wayne, so we decided to visit the Allen County Public Library. The Geneology Center is on the second floor and has a lot of nice computers to use. We visited the information desk and received our free pass, for the use of the computers. After more than two hours, my wife and I were able to glean a lot of family history from the archives. I even logged in and looked for my own data. It took more than one attempt, but I finally viewed that data and lots of census records concerning my grandfather, father, uncles, etc. Some of the information was not correct, but I did not attempt to correct anything . . . at this time. For the marriages, they posted the actual date that the marriage license application was submitted, instead of the actual wedding date. My own mother and father registered on June 4, 1946, but were not married until June 23, 1946. Also, they listed the middle name for my maternal grandfather as . . . Cristene ! But his real middle name is: Criswell ??? I will find out how I can make those corrections, so that the data is accurate. The Allen County Public Library claims to have the second most listings for people in the United States, behind that of the Mormon Church in Salt Lake City, Utah. So, you could say that researching in Fort Wayne makes a lot more sense than traveling all of the way to Utah to search for family records. By the way, one of my own relatives researched our family to the King of Scotland . . . in 583 AD. Now, that is about 44 generations ago, so I have a lot more research to do before I take my last breath.

All reviews
in 69 reviews
"libraries"
in 35 reviews

Reviewed 9 January 2018

With the sub zero temperatures out side, a TV series DVD set is just what the doctor
ordered! Checked out season One of Master Piece Theater's "Poldark" drama. very well
worth watching. my wife checked out volume 23 of Janet Evanovich's series for good
reading as well. turn to our public library as a good tool at your disposal all year long.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

I have been going to this wonderful library for many years. I now also get most of my Kindle books from ACPL. The staff is very helpful and the selection of books is almost endless. We are so fortunate to have this fantastic library in our community.

Reviewed 28 December 2017

This library is wonderful! The design is modern and everything is easy to find. Also love the courtyard.