All reviews balconies overlooking lake michigan room was clean one night stay short drive geese dune retreat indiana
Reviewed 20 February 2018

Really enjoy staying at this place. The rooms are very clean and we had a great view of the lake. Close to historic Chesterton and other areas in Northwest Indiana. Close to drugstores and restaurants and a short drive to the Dune Park South Shore train.

Date of stay: February 2018
Reviewed 2 January 2018

20 years ago this was a very nice hotel. Went back for a NYE party (which was across the street) so booked here. The hotel was only $65 so for that price it was great! It needs a deep cleaning... bed skirt was torn, dirt along the base of the room, yellow towels, clothes left in drawers from prior guests, etc. The bed was comfortable the view over the lake was nice and for the price and a few hours of sleep it was okay.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

This hotel was probably very nice years ago. It has been let go. Our room smelled of stale cigarettes. There were moldings falling off in our room. We had a balcony that was over the lake. I️ would not have felt sure enough of it’s structure to go out on it. The room did seem clean and the front desk clerk was helpful. Beds were comfortable. With some renovations this place could be very nice again.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2017

We chose this hotel to use as an overnight stop on our trip in late September because the price was very reasonable. It's website also boasted 60 acres of woods and trails surrounding Lake Chubb. Being nature lovers, this piece of information appealed to us.

Upon our arrival , we checked in quickly and proceeded to our room. You could see that there is work going on and it appears as though a valid attempt is being made to fix the place up. The corridors and stairway to the second floor where our room was located (there is no elevator) were pretty rough looking, making us wonder if we made a good decision by booking here. Once we opened the door to our room though, we were relieved to see that it had gotten a makeover and was in relatively good condition, although the workmanship put into the makeover wasn't the greatest. However, the essentials were in working order; comfortable bed and hot shower. WiFi was slow to non-existent. The area around the hotel was relatively quiet, but the horns and whistles from the trains that were to the north and south of the hotel made for a restless night's sleeping as those trains seemed to have been running all night long.

As for the trails around Lake Chubb...well they have been overgrown and unusable for quite sometime now. I asked the hotel associate about the condition of the trails and what is written on the hotel's web page and he responded by telling me that it shouldn't state that on the website anymore, after I suggested that it be removed as it is misleading. As of this writing, one month later, the statements still appear on the website. Guess the management doesn't care that they mislead the public.

I gave this establishment a rating of Average as the price for the night was quite low and what I got is what I paid for. Nothing more for sure.

Anyway, it appears as though they're trying to make it better. But they'll have to try a lot harder to get me to stay there again.

I know I'll be passing by that way again. And when I do, that's exactly what I'll do. Pass it by.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank TheSimpleTraveler
Reviewed 2 September 2017

This hotel was close to shopping and restaurants. The room was large and the king size bed was comfortable altho they don't give you many pillows.There is a small deck where you can watch the turtles and birds. The hotel itself was in dire need of repair.The bathroom door in our room squeaked bad and wouldn't close all the way.The shower was so old they left a diagram to show how to turn it on.There are train tracks not far off. We couldn't hear them much in the room just sitting outside.

Date of stay: August 2017