“Lost a once happy customer”

Bob Chinn's Crab House
Ranked #3 of 95 Restaurants in Wheeling
Price range: USD 0 - USD 80
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We were so excited to go to Bob Chinn's tonight. We have been there over 5 times in the last year and have even brought relatives as we really enjoyed it. Tonight was the last straw. The last three times, I ordered the same thing - 1 1/4 Maine Lobster with the Cantenese sauce. The first time I had it, it came as half of a 2+ pound lobster (it was cut in half) with the sauce on the side. The last time I had it it was a whole lobster with the sauce on the side. This time I ordered it - the same thing twice before and the lobster was cut up into pieces with the sauce on it. How did I know that there in fact was a whole lobster? I was eating it and just short of half way in, the waiter asked if everything was okay - he did not bring out our food. I explained the situation and he ended up getting the manager. The manager came over and asked if I wanted another lobster. That would have been a waste of food so I said no. But inconsistency is ridiculous, especially with the prices. The waiter, in fact, verified with me when I placed the order that the lobster would be a whole lobster. The bowl of clam chowder was so thick and not even warm. It wasn't very good either. The special - Filet and King Crab Legs wasn't good either. The crab legs didn't even look like it weighed the 10 ounces and the meat was over-done. Again, our waiter did not bring out the main courses so by the time he checked with us, it was really too late. We were so excited to go for dinner and were very disappointed.

3  Thank Nancy P

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Rude/indifferent service,,,,musty smelling....weak drinks.....AMAZINGLY OVERPRICED food....and I mean REALLY overpriced....cannot stress this enough...no idea why this dump is so popular....steer clear....trust me.....

2  Thank Bubs739
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

This is a weird place to review. Service is good. Food is great. Great fish selection. Very tasty. But the place is a dump. I know that’s their schtick, but the prices are like a fine dining restaurant. If it’s going to be a dump with great food, great. I actually like that. But I expect the prices to reflect that you are walking on wooden planks that are so worn you feel like they are going to collapse. So it is what it is. Great food. Too pricey for the atmosphere. If it were more moderately priced, this would be one of the best seafood restaurants around.

1  Thank GB7855
Reviewed 18 March 2018

Let me begin by saying that my family and I have been customers of this restaurant for over 20 years. I called a week in advance to make reservations for a party of 8 to celebrate my mother's 86th birthday, my aunt's 75th birthday and the coming birth of our first grandchild. The reservation was for 7:30 of which we arrived on time. I told the receptionist that we were all here so we waited to be seated. Let me add that the place was crowded but since we had a reservation, I wasn't worried. After ten minutes my husband asked how much longer and the receptionist said they were waiting for the table to leave. After another ten minutes my husband asked again, "How much longer?". She said the people weren't getting up. As my husband walked away I saw her laughing at him behind his back. After another half hour I noticed all of the people waiting had already been seated (these people did not have a reservation). I went to her and demanded to be seated. I said they could have pushed two tables together instead of seating everyone else before us. She laughed and said let me call a manager. While I was waiting for him to come, people were walking in and being seated immediately. I was stunned to say the least. This manager was a young punk that has no people skills whatsoever. As I was explaining what was going on, (this was an hour after our reservation time), he cut me off and said " I will not help you because you are acting childish". I was shocked and appalled that this punk was talking to me, a 58 year old women in this manner. I walked off and told my family we were leaving. My husband tried to talk to him, also got nowhere. While this is going on the receptionist obviously found this funny because she was laughing. My daughter made a phone call and got us in somewhere else. We all stormed out to leave. As we were leaving, another manager came running after us and told us he could seat us in 5 minutes. We all looked at each other and replied, "Are you kidding?". We left. This very special night was ruined because of employees that were obviously not trained properly. We will never return! A new seafood restaurant will be opening soon down the street, And I for one can't wait!

1  Thank Sandra53060
Reviewed 15 March 2018

I had heard from several people that their recent trips to Chinn's had not lived up to their reputation. Well for the last six or seven years I always celebrate my birthday there and it was just as good as it ever was.

I had the steak and 2 3 oz lobster dinner. It was great!!! My Dad always told my brother and I that you don't order spaghetti in a Chinese restaurant that is was best to stay with the speciality of the house. Well Chinn's is the one place I would order a steak each and every time. I like mine rare and my brother likes his well done, we both got what we wanted and it was delicious. The lobster were wonderful and with the drawn butter YUM. I also had a cup of seafood gumbo. I was chocked full of fish and okra. Just like being in the BIG EASY. Chinn also sends a % off for birthday and I forgot mine, they took my name and e-mail and looked it up and was able to take advantage of it.
My mom had scallops, with red potatoes and coleslaw. She ate everyone and said that was Great!

And then there are the garlic rolls, Y-U-M-M-Y id all I can say.

We also had dessert I had the coconut cake, mom had the bread pudding, it could of fed a small country and my brother had the key lime pie, graham cracker crust. He said it was wonderful.
Our waitress was friendly and ready to explain anything on the menu, she was the one who asked me about the coupon and took my e-mail and name so they could verify that I was on their list. Above and beyond the call of duty.

I still love Bob Chinn's, by the way Happy Belated Birthday Bob! He just turned 90. This is one restaurant that you can't forget and that you will return to over and over again.

1  Thank cru9477036