“I've stayed n worse”

Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign
Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Reviewed 4 August 2017

The fire alarm went off and we all exited around 4:30am which itself isn't a problem and we were back in about 20 min, but the fact that our door only opened if you pulled up on the handle made for a difficult/confusing exit. As we checked out we talked to and showed it to the people at the front desk we asked for a discounted rate which we didn't get. I don't think he understood we were not upset there was a fire but at the safety of our room in that given situation, which we experienced!!! He went up to the room, once at our door he made it seem like it wasn't a problem. Just pull up he said..

Well when the fire alarm is going off at 4 in the morning one doesn't think, having only opened it once. Oh! My door is a piece of garbage! I better know exactly how to finagle this so I can gtfo because there is a fire at 4am. No you try and open it 5 or 6 times, each time pulling harder, and each time getting more and more upset because we are supposed to be exiting the hotel so we don't get engulfed in flames...

I supposed he thought the safety of the hotels patrons wasn't important. I should just know the door is broken next time there is an emergency.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
Pam E, Executive Assistant at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

I am sorry for the issues you encountered with your door during your stay, as well as the non-helpfulness from our front desk staff. I will have the maintenance department fix the door knob on your door. I realize how frustrating it is when a fire alarm goes off in the middle of the night and then to top it off to have a malfunctioning doorknob! While I can't control the fire alarm in the night (probably someone was smoking in their room - which is a HUGE No-No), we can control how you are treated at the front desk. I apologize for that and I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future. If you want to call me directly at 217-328-7900 X 2105, I will personally make your future reservation and ensure your are in a fully functioning room. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

This was my second stay within one week, when I had a need to use an outlet to charge my devices, I pulled out the night stand to unplug the alarm clock and plug in my charging cord...,to my surprise I found months worth of trash along with the dust that should not be there. I found condiment packets and food scraps. If this happened one time I would have ignored it and just complain to management. I found similar issues with both rooms. Of course when I was checking out the clerk was nowhere to be found. Just saying if you want piece of mind don't look behind the night stands.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Pam E, Executive Assistant at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2017

I am sorry for the incident you encountered during your stay. We have taken steps to retrain our inspectors and assure you this problem will not occur again. I hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

I was here for a convention. First thing that struck me was that there were people talking about paying less for their rooms than our "block" for the event. Staff was pleasant and it appeared they were prettying the place up. Room was fine and clean. But I thought I was on a secret camera TV show when i turned on the shower. It was this weak little dribble, one I'd go see the Dr over if it was coming out of me. Quite possibly the worst shower I've ever had, including some dumps I've stayed in. And no food at all? Sorry, just not a good choice.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Pam E, Executive Assistant at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

I am sorry you experienced poor water pressure during your recent stay. We did do some repairs on the boiler on Friday, however, everything was back up and running by the afternoon. If you had mentioned this to the front desk, I am sure they could have moved you to another room. I don't know who you talked to about their rate for their room, however, we do offer a promotion through Groupon, and perhaps those people had purchased their rooms in advance. Otherwise, all the rooms in a block are the same price. We are in the process of replacing our onsite restaurant, however there is always food available daily from the restaurant across the street and a staff member would have gladly arranged that for you. I am sorry that our communication was so bad during your stay, Obviously, we need to do a better job of communicating repairs and unusual situations to our guests. Please feel free to call me directly at 217-328-7900 X 2105 to book your next stay with us. I am sure you will not be disappointed. Thank you.

Reviewed 25 July 2017

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
Pam E, Executive Assistant at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2017

Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

we stayed at the wyndham last week and we used groupon to book. for some reason my groupon was not showing that we had booked so we used another persons. groupon then charged me 3 times for that room. i called them and said they couldn't do anything, i then called the hotel and Mack was excellent at getting my refund. thank you for the help !

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Pam E, Executive Assistant at Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. We will make sure Mac is recognized for his valuable assistance. He is an excellent employee and we are happy your needs were met. We hope we can serve you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
0.1 km away
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
2.2 km away
Red Roof Inn Champaign
Red Roof Inn Champaign
#14 of 25 in Champaign
0.1 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Urbana-Champaign (U of I Area)
2.7 km away
#3 of 25 in Champaign
1.7 km away
Hampton Inn Champaign/Urbana

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Urbana

Been to Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign? Share your experiences!