The Urban Newtown(Newtown)(Great Value!)
USD 109
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 138/night.

Cambridge Lodge Guest House(Stanmore)(Great Value!)
USD 66
Hotels.com
USD 80
  • Bar/Lounge
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 93/night.

USD 62
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 71/night.

Veriu Camperdown(Sydney)(Great Value!)
USD 106
USD 116
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 132/night.

Ryals Hotel - Broadway(Sydney)(Great Value!)
USD 109
USD 98
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswonderful hostsother guestsbreakfast tableflight pathb bsenmore theatreairport pickuplovely homeevery morninghome away from homesydney airportbuses and trainsyogurtensuite bathroomcircular quayrooms are largepublic transport
Reviewed 4 April 2012

My experience with TARA began when Julian picked me up at the airport. We had a lovely conversation and before I knew it we were at the house. My room was spacious and spotless. I had to share a bathroom with another room but it was never an issue. The breakfast is amazing - I have stayed at other B&Bs before that offer breakfast but never one where I stuffed myself on all the amazing homemade pancakes, omelets, bread, fruit etc. There was even dim sum. Less than a block from the house is a main street with everything you need - pharmacy, shops, restaurants, grocery outlets and the bus stop which will take you to Circular Quay in Sydney in about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. Julian and Brom were wonderful and gave me good advice on the city and the buses and I enjoyed playing with their beautiful collie puppy! So to sum it all up - yes you are not in the center city but if you did stay there you would pay a lot more and not get the amazing breakfast and hospitality available here. Don't hesitate to stay here!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank SueMPA
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We have stayed with Brom & Julian several times and it has been fantastic each time. The rooms are spacious, stylish and comfortable. The breakfasts are an amazing spread ranging from a cooked breakfast (bacon, eggs etc.) with the best potato latkes I have had to pancakes, fruit and yoghurt and really good bread. The hospitality from Brom and Julian is genuinely warm and they are eager to share their enthusiasm for the city. Tara is in a lively area with lots of small independent shops, cafés and restaurants - a nice change from staying in a generic business district! It is only 15 minutes from the airport and about 25 mins by bus from the city centre. We will definitely be returning.

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We were extremely lucky to get a reservation-- but we soon realized why this is the no. 1 rated B&B in Sydney. Brom and Julian are the friendliest hosts, they make you feel sowelcome that within seconds you feel. . . well, at home.
And what a home it is. A monument to good taste. One of the most beautiful homes I have ever seen.
Breakfast is heavenly, and sitting next to all the other guests you can't help making friends.
The neighborhood is super cool and our hosts gave us great recommendations for restaurants and attractions. They're part of the community and it shows.
I'd come back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: take whatever they give you
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Tara Guest House for three nights in early March. The Tara experience started right at the airport when Julian collected us from International Arrivals. After traveling for 20 hours, it was such a pleasure to be met. I would stay here just for this service alone.

Tara is a gem. Brom and Julian could have been my long lost Australian relatives. We felt like family right from the start. They were both warm, welcoming, fun and excellent cooks.

As we wanted an en suite room, we stayed in two spaces--one night in a non-en suite room and the next two nights in their room with a bathroom. Both spaces were great. In fact, i am not sure we really needed to move [though I did ultimately did enjoy the private bath].

The rooms are all beautifully appointed. Julian and Brom have great sense of design and the spaces are all superbly done. Needless to say, the rooms and public spaces are all immaculately clean.

Breakfast was a feast and lots of fun. Breakfast was served all at once for everyone--so no coming down late. The breakfast spread was the best I have ever seen in a B&B. As I was warned by a guest on the first day, "pace yourself." I am a coffee aficionado and their's was excellent. Fresh squeezed orange juice each morning was a treat.

The other part of breakfast I liked was a chance to chat with the other guests. We were truly a big family and shared travel stories, tips on what to do, and just life stories. It was lots of fun.

The two rooms we stayed in faced the street and had street noise. Indeed, the road in front of the Tara Guest House is heavily used and there is noise. We both live in New York City and have no problem with the level of the noise. If you are sensitive to street noise, select the back rooms. Or, like I do at home and at the Tara, use ear plugs.

The area around the Tara in Newtown was lots of fun. It is easy to get to downtown Sydney via the bus or the train. Newtown has lots of fun, delicious restaurant options. We particularly enjoyed the small, hole-in-the-wall Vietnamese restaurant just up from the Tara (Delicious Rolls) and the Portuguese chicken place (Olé). Brom and Julian are a font of knowledge and follow their suggestions.

I end this review as I started it. Staying at the Tara Guest House hosted by Brom and Julian and their dog, Oscar, was like staying with my long lost Australian relatives. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Yaksha
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We stayed for three nights at the end of our honeymoon. We booked through a travel agent and should have paid more attention to the fact that TARA offers transport to and from the airport. We did quite a dumb thing and rented a car (unsolicited tip: don't do that!). After quite an adventure getting to the B&B (which is only about 10-15 minutes from the airport), we were so glad to have been greeted with a glass of wine and pleasant conversation with Brom and Julian. The next day, after an absolutely incredible breakfast, Brom's orientation the next morning helped get us on track for a full day of exploring the city. All three nights, we followed their recommendations for dinner - in the Enmore/Newport area - and all were wonderful. The only slight downfall was the traffic noise at night, but I understand they are making improvements to abate the noise. After the first night, we got used to it without any issue.

Room Tip: A room in the back may be less noisy? I believe some of the rooms do not have ensuite (ours did), so it may be something to request if it's important to you.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple