“I would stay there again”

Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Skokie
Apple River, Illinois
“I would stay there again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

I don't know why all the bad press. After reading the reviews I called the the hotel and spoke with the manager about the bad reviews. He went so far as to going the website and satisfactorily addressing my concerns. Upon our arrival, I found the desk staff, helpful and proffesional. On our way to our room, keeping in mind the reviews, I was checking out the public areas and found them clean and spacious. The lighting was subdued but after driving through a snow storm to get there I found the soft lighting very calming. The pool and hot tub looked clean and inviting but I did not get a chance to take advantage of them. The workout room looked sparse but clean. I liked the fact that there was room service. Many 3 star hotels don't have room service and when you don't want to go out room service is a God-send.

Once in our room I went over it with a fine tooth comb. I cleaned hotel rooms at one time so I knew what to look for. I looked between the mattress and box spring, they were clean. The bathroom smelled and looked clean. There was no sign of dirt, built-up grime, water stains or hair anywhere. The facebowls looked updated. The toilet and bathtub looked older but again the were clean and well maintained. The towels were white, no stains or signs age.

The linens were clean, fresh. The beds were comfortable. The TV was an updated model. The mini-fridge and microwave was clean. The room lighting was fine. The furniture was outdated, but again, it was sturdy and comfortable and unstained. I'll take that over newer and flimsy anyday.

There were a few things that could were inconvevient. The rooms were a bit cramped. We were a party of 4. Me, my husband, and two grandchildren under the age of 8 and we were still crawling over each other. Secondly, you can hear the coming and going of people in the public are. If you want a quieter room, get a room away from the pool on the northside of the building. The clothes rack in the bathroom should be rethought it is inconvenient and the bathroom could use a heat source.

All in all, when I'm in the area again, I will not hesitate to stay there. Great value for the money!!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool on northside of building are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
vrizzo, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie), responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Your compliments of our hotel are much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Hopefully, you and the family plan a trip to see us again from Apple River pretty soon.

Vince Rizzo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Polish first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

We stayed as a part of a group on 01-13/01-12. The decorative sheets on the beds had hair all over them, as well one of the pillow cases. When I called the front desk the girl asked me why if we checked in around 3pm we reported the hair in the beds until 6:30pm. Why? Because we were in the room like 5 minutes and went out to have dinner. She said Front Desk Manager will call me. I took forever for him to call us. He apologized, quickly said they were trianing new staff in housekeeping and will talk with Housekeeping Manager(not acceptable excuse) and said housekeeping will brind new pillow cases. I removed decorative sheets and pillow case with hair, just to discover a huge pubic hair on the other sheet. Gross!!!. When I tried to use the business center to find a polish grocery store, well you have to pay to use the internet. Swiped my credit card, mouse froze up, called the desk. Desk supervisor took 10 min. to get there and told me he discourage guests to use the business center. A third party company supplies the interneet service. He added we are not responsible for any charges and told me to call the internet provider to dispute the charges. A $3.00 charge was post to my account. I called this place, no one responded(of course). 2 days later I'm still waiting for someone to call me or the $3.00 charge to be removed. I"m surprise this is a Holiday Inn. The part we stayed look like an old cheap motel that was incorporated into the hotel which resemble a horrible big box. Hallways with cracks areas all over the place. Good point, Joe a very personable young man at the Desk was very attentive when we couldn't find a place to park due to the convention. The hotel doesn't have enough parking spaces to accomodate large conventions.

Room Tip: chose another hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Steve M
We do apologize for the housekeeping issues during your stay and will certainly address your concerns with our housekeeping team so we can see where we dropped the ball. I can ensure you that we courage all guests to use our business center. We are currently in the process of installing a free to use business center. If you have yet to receive a refund please email me at vrizzo@hiskokie.com so that I can work with the agency to refund your monies. Again, thank you so much for bringing these matters to our attention so that we can provide better service in the future. Hopefully, you'll consider our hotel in the future and give us another chance to WOW you. See you soon!

Vince Rizzo

Travellers are raving about these Skokie hotels

Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

Wow, where to begin? This has to be in our top 5 of worst hotels that we have ever stayed in (and we travel to third world countries).

Full disclosure - I got this hotel through Priceline for about $60/night. There are only 3 hotels in the Skokie PL zone and I was hoping I wouldn't win this hotel. Lesson learned. I'll pay full price at another hotel next time.

The noise level is unbelieveable. We had a group of young guys next to us and they came in each night at 3:30 am and woke us up. On the other side was a large barking dog. How lucky are we??? I called security each night to ask the neighbors to turn down their music. They did respond quickly but once the music was turned down, they proceeded to jump on the beds for awhile.

As other reviews have stated, hotel is located on busy Touhy St. I had no problem navigating as I visit there often but if you are not from the area, you would have difficulities with the traffic.

Because of the layout of the hotel, I would bet there's not a quiet room in the entire hotel.

Cleanliness seemed to be o.k. There were some parts of the wall that needed to be painted and the bottom of the bathroom door needed to be repaired (wood was rotting). Person at the front desk was nice enough - she said she was giving us an upgraded room. I'd hate to see what an average room looked like.

Don't stay there. I'll never return.

Andrea

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank andreama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

This felt like a hotel in South Asia with gaudy marble and furniture to boot. Everything felt old and tired. Just a couple of elevators for the entire hotel. About 60% of all rooms face the hotel's dark and dungeon-like courtyard. The rooms in the two story annexed building look like they've been converted from an old two star hotel as the rooms face a corridor and the bathroom is segmented into two. We were "upgraded" into a room in the main building only to be tormented by smoke from the smokers next door. This hotel is a disgrace to the Holiday Inn brand and to te intercontinental brand as a whole. Not to mention that it's located on a really busy street and it takes a lot longer to get here and leave from here because of the heavier than usual traffic.

The room was super warm as well and not in a good way.

Avoid like the plague! Chicago isn't short of hotels and exercise your right of choice by not coming here.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Aboobak
nyc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

was in skokie on business, and this was the closest hotel.
wound up being a lovely stay. simple rooms, but decent restaurant, pleasant staff, very helpful.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank dan g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skokie
Rogers Park
Hampton Inn Chicago North - Loyola Station

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)? Share your experiences!