All reviews super fun the kitchen staff delicious food every meal looking forward other resorts rights lefts group wind mates guys crew mission wave dream spots
Reviewed 15 June 2015

I stayed at Aura in Sept/October 2014 for 7 days.

Accommodation - The resort is great! There are lush green grounds, comfortable bungalows and epic views of the wave out front from all areas of the resort including an epic treehouse! We watched the sunset every night from the tree house whilst sipping Bintangs. It's not a 5 star hotel, but compared to the other accommodation on the island (rocky grounds and shabby huts) and considering the remote area you're in, it's pretty bloody good! Our rooms were turned over each day by the friendly staff. Oh and there's a fun little golf course for when you're surfed out.

Food- We had great meals every night with a mix of western and local foods. The Kitchen staff were very friendly and will make you pretty much anything at request.

Guides- On our first day we surfed Dylan's and one of the guides completely snaked me for the wave of the day. I was pretty pissed and let management know, as I didn't expect poor etiquette from our surf guide, especially in an empty line-up with just our group. I was worried we would have to hassle for waves with out surf guides for the remainder of the trip. However, this appeared to be a one off incident. For the rest of the trip the surf guides were really helpful! Constantly looking for the best waves for us, which was generally out the front! They were also great at dealing with different levels of surfers. Giving the poorer surfers more advice in the water and getting them some really nice waves!!! I literally watched some of the guys from our group get better and better throughout the week!

Surf- Not 10/10 but 8/10 most days!

We surfed every single day! At least twice a day. For the first 2 days we surfed Dylan's as the peak was 8 ft. We had it empty for most of the 2 days despite there being a couple of surf camps right out the front of the break!

We then surfed 3-6ft Peak for the remainder of the trip! Such a good wave for all levels of surfer with plenty of barrel sections to be had on the right and left! No other surfers except for those staying at our resort! 10 max! Mostly 3 or 4 guys.

Don't expect perfect conditions all day every day, as the winds in that area vary throughout the day (mostly offshore). All you had to do was sit back, relax and watch the wave out front until it turned on! Which lucky for us was most of the trip!!!

We did one mission to a secret spot which was pumping until we started getting ready to paddle out and it went onshore. We returned to the peak a little disheartened only to find that the wind had swung back offshore and we had one of the best Peak sessions of the trip! And the staff didn't charge us for the boat mission as we didn't score! Legends!

Negatives? Nothing I remember. Would be rad if they had wifi! But you can get a local sim with data.

Return?? - I'm heading back there in May 2016.

Room tip: All rooms are epic with peak views!
Date of stay: October 2014
2  Thank Max N
Reviewed 30 November 2014

As the title suggests if you are like me and want value for money and have limit time then Aura is the place to go, with the constant peak break right in front, depending on winds, tide and what seemed always swell it is great value.

Accomodation is good, not 5 star but clean and comfortable, good size rooms and healthy meals but the main reason I went there was for the surf, did head to one of the other spots near by once but could not see a reason to leave the lefts and rights outside my front door, would I go back.... yes..... already booked for next year.

Ian

• Trip type: Travelled solo
6  Thank Ian C
Reviewed 11 November 2014

In April this year I spent two weeks at Aura for the second time. Both trips with a group of mates and everyone said the same thing at the end of the trips. Best place ever. Most of us had done a few Indo boat trips in the past but Aura just ticks all the boxes. Accommodation is great, food was varied and excellent and plenty of it. The staff are fantastic, where nothing is a problem. The best thing about the place though is the peak out front. We had 8-10 days of continuous clean, 5-6ft waves, light wind and clear skies. Then odd rainy day glassing things off making every session memorable. The choice of alternate breaks nearby make it a fantastic place all round. Surf guides are all great guys and make sure everyone gets to surf the best waves available. Highly recommend it!!

Room tip: All rooms have good access to beach and facilities.
3  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed 11 November 2014

Location for surfing is sublime and picturesque by Indo standards. Being able to keep an eye on 'the peak' ensures no missed opportunities. Didn't surf anywhere else during my stay but others went hunting for a right via scooter and weren't disappointed.

The resort itself feels quite remote as that area of Simeulue is sparsely populated.

Fun and challenging wave and booties aren't necessary, though there was the odd scrape during our stay. Easy access. Best stint of waves I've had on surf trip anywhere.

Bungalow amenities are 'surf camp' basic but all you need in the tropics - cold water shower. Serviced daily. Great beds and mozzie nets should you feel the need.

Utilised the games room quite a few times and is always good to have with a group of traveling mates along with the ubiquitous can.

Food was average for our stay but changes have been made. That said, you certainly won't go hungry.

All-in-all, good and friendly local staff.

The acid test is when people ask "would you go back?" Absolutely, without hesitation given half a chance…

5  Thank Ric V
Reviewed 8 November 2014

I spent 2 great weeks @Aura on my own and met very nice people there. The food was excellent, varied (local food, BBQs, sushis...) and consistent. The staff was really careful, the surfguides really helpful to be at the good place at the right moment. The surf spots are really good, for every level of surfers and a very few people in the water for Indo. The place is perfect, perfect A-peak in front of your bungalow, surrounding by the jungle, with buffalos walking in the camp yard, the dog and cat of the place are so funny and nice. What do you expect more ? That's the place !!

Date of stay: October 2014